PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline

Caesar
04-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Use of sheer imagination can be eventually frustrating .... anyway, here's an old times illustration attempt.
I'd better make much more excercise I'm afraid.:(

Dany51
04-21-2010, 01:24 AM
I am very sorry that is not possible to let a note on the image
to show exactly what I want to say about a precise part
of a painting,
happily words exist,
I like the reflections on the car's windows and
the woman is very well done also,
the black color accentuate his fine line
and is very nice .:)

kenmo
04-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Fantastic... I love the look & style of this type of illustration.... Big thumbs up from me...!!!

EMOC
04-21-2010, 03:41 AM
hi caesar,

i like it its really nice...
why your afraid?
there's a reason for that i think :D

greetings
EMOC

coops
04-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Fantastic painting Cesare. The car is excellent and the reflects are great. The young lady is again painted wonderfully.:)

EB
04-21-2010, 05:25 AM
I think you did well with this one too.

Alexandra
04-21-2010, 05:52 AM
I wish I could draw as well Cesare! Beautiful painting.:):):):):):)

mannafig
04-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Brilliant dear Cesare Love the smooth skin you have done to:):)

Caesar
04-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Thank You Dany! Your words are crystal clear and I evaluate very much Your opinion! In these days I'm much attracted by an American great illustrator, Norman Rockwell, who was able to insert an artistic sensitivity and a style evolution in a work very commercially driven.
Although this painting is 100% my imagination, it's also a sort of tribute to him, even if I still have to possibly work out a copy of some of his works to capture some of his outstanding technical lessons.

Looking at Your Avatar, dear Kenmo, I'd say You like in particular the car ...:D I'm kidding. Thank You!

I just realize how short falls my imagination and outcome from a good illustration quality, dear EMOC. I believe I should more humbly use some reference and some copy excercise to master it all better (never attended any painting course so far, unfortunately). Thank You for Your encouraging words and appreciation!

Dear Katie, I'm really glad You found this illustration nice. Thank You, my friend!

Fortunately no stair was implied here, dear EB! I'm kidding! Thank You, my friend!

Such a friendly and warm support, dear Sandra! I'm not still at level I would like, nonetheless, but I'm glad I possibly still have wide margins to improve after all ...

paul_uk7
04-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Totally beautiful painting and extremely very well done.

MJSparks
04-21-2010, 10:42 AM
The girl is very well draw. I like the detail work you've done on the car's chrome and red paint. It reminds me of the magazine advertisements that Coca-cola did back in that timeframe.

All it needs is a "Drink Coca-cola" symbol in there somewhere and you've got a collectible!

Juz
04-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Wonderful Caesar, really cool oldtime effect. The pose and dress of the figure is ideal for the genre and i adore the way you've done the car :):)

AT-TA
04-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Oh my, Caesar,this is so good...everything what i see, the car, reflections on the windows and carbody...and of course, your little city nymf gives the whole scene a bit of juice and story;)

Caesar
04-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Dear Paul, I frequently start with the idea to grasp Your recently developped style, which is just incredible, but I often end up with my most natural and confident approach. Thank you very much!

Your right, dear MagenSpark! Thank You!
I admired since ever many illustrators for their ability to report a world which seems our usual everydays one and still seems more colourful, contingent and rich of elements of the story and details You may dig here and there. Among them, quite a number of US illustrators are the majority the among best ones, such as the case of Norman Rockwell. Even realizing that much pedant work, procedures and tools were behind those stunning pictures, I can see sparkles of originality and art coming out of many of their commercial works.

Dear Juz, I'm glad for Your appreciation. Thank You!
The only problem I have this far, using just two or three layers for splitting the various fields, is that I still cannot get from my imagination the toned down (more greysh) colors that reality shows in several cases. Making works like this one, without preliminary studies and planning, is perhaps too much ambitious in front of my expectations for my limited talent and expertise. Anyway there are needs and challenges I like to face and express and there's always some interesting part I can get, with my surprise too...

Dear Anna, You know, in the old times I loved so much the movie and songs American Graffiti and I was also a fan of the Happy Days series!
They were, in a way, both a very small towns American life cross section in the 50ties and a paradigm with considerable coincidence with Italy middle towns life during the 60ies and part of the 70ies. Moreover some aspects and characters seemed also quite universally describing the youth period. Thank You!

foxytocin
04-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Caesar, this is quite enjoyable....it has a fresh, light-hearted feeling to it....

Juz
04-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Its definitely not lack of talent dear Caesar... you've got so much of that I bet it falls out of your pockets as you're walking around :):)

It's the nature of working with RGB (pure colour) which is being displayed by light (monitor). The impurities and chemical reactions of paint pigment are not present, the dust, rust, particles and dirt of the real world is absent too. If you look at the grey saturation palette i made here http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27641&page=4 you can see that even very low saturated hues have a purity to the colour.

You've bumped up against one of the great challanges of the digital medium... its easy to make supersaturated work but quite a challange to get natural tones on a monitor.

The good news is that when you go to the printer, his inks will not be able to accomodate the heavily saturated colours and you'll be displaying on canvas once more so there is an overall dulling down of supersaturated colours.

If you are only working for web/monitor output only, you can knock back the colour by using Adjust Layer Colours dialog from the Edit menu. Click on the image and move the box to show a zoomed area of your painting that is a good reference for overall colour then adjust the 'colour' slider on this dialog to your liking. Attached is an image of the dialog and your original with a
negative 25% colour adjustment.

Caesar
04-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Thank You, dear Foxy. As light-hearted as youth ...

Dear Juz, I would never end thanking You for Your appreciation and technical help! Your expertise is a really valuable assets in here! Very interesting, encouraging and helpful explanations!

Valerie
04-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Another winner Dear Cesare and I love the car.
Val

waheednasir
04-22-2010, 04:40 PM
very good job..:). composition well handled.

Caesar
04-23-2010, 02:31 AM
Thank You, dear Val and Waheed!

Belvrog
04-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Gorgeous painting Caesar. Really like its composition and colorscheme. Very well done mate.

Lima
04-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Caesar a beauty... terrific painting:eek::eek::eek:. Outstanding colors, wow. The reflections on the windows is masterfully done. Fantastic painting. Molto bela dona.

Caesar
04-28-2010, 03:29 AM
Dear Belvrog and Oriane, I thank You very much for Your warm appreciation. I was very curious to see whether I could set up a sort of past times commercial illustration quickly and without references at all.
The result is interesting (but not that satisfactory). I'm probably too ambitious for my means and expertise...