PDA

View Full Version : Construction lines

Rotas
04-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Dear Everyone

I'm just starting out trying to learn to draw and everywhere I look, books, online etc it says start off with construction lines to sketch out the shapes you want then go over and darken them in. When I was watching the artists at the newspaper I worked before doing this they used a blue pencil because those lines just 'disappeared' when the image was scanned. and in books they say for paper drawings just do the lines light in pencil and then rub them out once you've used ink to get the shape you want.

My question to you all is how do you all do this with digital art packages like artrage. Do you have a special colour that you can just 'disappear' once you are done, is there a 'construction line' tool, do you just put the construction on a base layer and then turn it off when you want it to go?

I'm curious how everyone else deals with this - or conversely if you're all past the stage of needing construction lines at all and just draw.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Cameron

alkratzer
04-19-2010, 11:12 PM
The base layer idea works well for setting up your guides -- you can just delete it when you are ready.

gb_whisper
04-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Hey Rotas,

It's simple. In digital art we use 'layers'. First you draw your 'construction lines' rough sketch on one layer, then create a new layer on top, go over it with a pen tool, and delete, or hide, the rough sketch below. If you think your rough sketch is too dark to trace, you can also change the layer opacity.

If you want to colour your picture without ruining your line art, just create another layer on top, and set the layer mode to 'multiply', and do your colours in the multiplied layer.

It's of course faster than any traditional media.

Someonesane
04-20-2010, 02:29 AM
Here's a couple of videos on how I usually do it:

This one actually has comments explaining some points of the video: LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo5GO08M7rk)

This one is just a time lapse video, but you'll see the same steps being taken: LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ojGDNJQBA) (it'd be best to watch this one in 480P. You'll find the button for it at the bottom of the video window)