PDA

View Full Version : Self portrait challenge

Jules
11-05-2006, 08:45 AM
I got this idea ragers, how about a self portrait challenge? Now that everyone knows what I look like on the forum. Id like to know what everyone else looks like. Hows about it? It could just only be a graphic representation of your good self, some folks can be shy, or a really detailed painting of you.

I hope some of you have a go at this. :D

hanzz
11-05-2006, 10:07 AM
This is me in festive mood....

speggie
11-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Great portraits .......jules ......

haanz very seasonal mood you are in already ....hee hee

heres a rough sketchy speggie .......

Jules
11-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Hanzz that is so cool, I love the flashing lights 8)

Jules
11-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Hey thats a great scribble speggie 8)

heikki
11-06-2006, 04:44 AM
:)

Hi, Jules. Nice idea.

It is challenge and i try to make one,,,,hmm,,, looks yonger than i am......how it is possible... :D Notice my pets.....i have own moustache washer :D

D Akey
11-06-2006, 09:45 AM

Hi, Jules. Nice idea.

It is challenge and i try to make one,,,,hmm,,, looks yonger than i am......how it is possible... :D Notice my pets.....i have own moustache washer :D

I fell out of my chair when I saw this. Hahaha. Good combination of real and fantasy -- your very own trademark images too. Nice pixpaint! :lol: :lol: :lol:

D Akey
11-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Jules, Hanz, Speggie. . . all absolutely wonderful. Really descriptive of who you each are. Very congenial group. :lol: :D :D :D

Peter Pinckney
11-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi Jules...................I feel like I'm cheating a bit here because I already posted this in the Paint an Emotion thread but , as my Grandpa used to say "Milk it boy............milk it"Lol

Peter

Jules
11-07-2006, 12:26 PM

Hi, Jules. Nice idea.

heheh... heikki, where do you get your ideas from lol.. funny one this. Great painting 8)

Jules
11-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi Jules...................I feel like I'm cheating a bit here because I already posted this in the Paint an Emotion thread but , as my Grandpa used to say "Milk it boy............milk it"Lol

Peter

blimey you look miserable as sin, he's definately got the blues 8)

Selby
12-01-2006, 04:04 PM
hmmn...this is a tricky challenge :? tried a bunch of versions and they all went awry..so for now a page of thumbnails..of which i probly look a little like each just now

Selby

reillyr
02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
My attempt, hope it's not too late, hehe.

anickyst
02-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Hello, I thought this was is a fun idea, so heres me. I painted it using artrage2 a few weeks ago so I am cheating a bit.

jvolkel
02-17-2007, 10:48 AM
anickyst - very nice painting - good perspective. You mentioned that you 'cheated' a little. Actually, I believe that there is no real cheating in art. As long as you are making an image, no matter how you got there, you are training your hand and eye to put things into two dimensional form. Any practice is good practice! :lol: Keep painting!

anickyst
02-17-2007, 11:20 AM
You are to kind my dear. Thankyou

hanzz
02-17-2007, 04:55 PM
8) COOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL ! 8)

fisharms
02-18-2007, 06:52 AM
i've already posted this in on the gallery forum but what the hell? i would have posted it here first if i'ld have seen it first.

Deathbstrd
02-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Here's me :)

Verticae
02-23-2007, 04:13 AM
Wow, Deathbstrd, you look like a typical motorcycle-riding, beer-drinking, used-to-be-in-a-rockband guy.

I love those dudes. :)

pai
02-23-2007, 09:54 AM
actually i think you look good in long hair :D especially your avatar looks like Aragorn, the Strider Ranger. But that's a really good self-protrait drawing.

smellygirl
03-15-2007, 09:48 AM
yeah, Deathbstrd, that is a very cool looking self portrait
rock on!

anickyst
03-19-2007, 04:11 AM
Hi deathbstrd. A wonderful piece of work. I like the style. Its really brilliant. Id be proud of that if i were you and you look a cool, mean, dude. 8)

Steppenwolf
03-20-2007, 11:31 PM
I want to be like deathbstrd when I grow up. I mean it!
Now why friggin beard, why aren't you growing!?!? :x

Here's me and myself.

bcmillustrator
03-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Here is a recent self portrait I did for my weekly drawing class. It was interesting to see my instructor's reaction. She has always given a very skeptical eye when I bring up the subject of "digital media". I think she was intrigued and studied it for quite a while.

Brian

pai
03-30-2007, 05:33 PM
sorry. i hit the submit button twice. could it be deleted? :shock:

pai
03-30-2007, 05:34 PM
this is me... :lol:

jvolkel
03-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Very nice Pai - Great portrait! :shock:

pai
03-30-2007, 06:09 PM
hi jvolkel,

thanks for your nice comment.

D Akey
03-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Gorgeous, feminine, colorful, strong and dynamic.

:D

Aged P
03-31-2007, 12:25 AM
Hi Pai,

Beautiful portrait, I love the mouth and the hair.

Great!

Phil

If you submit twice, then for a while, there is a delete button in the top right corner., :)

jacktar51
03-31-2007, 05:54 AM
Yeah...A little piccy I did ages ago, didnt like it much... dont like it much now...thats because I dont look handsome and rich.....Ah well dream on.... Jack.

bcmillustrator
03-31-2007, 06:05 AM
Hi Pai: Very nice. I think the pose and how you captured it works well for a portrait.

Jacktar: The eyes have it! Looks like you spent quite a bit of time on 'em. I'm a bit freaked by the floating head...sort of like sci fi movie special effects from the 50's!

Brian

D Akey
03-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Posh, Jack.

You look like an artist.

jacktar51
03-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Did you ever see the WIZARD OF OZZ........where just the face of the wizard appeared on the backdrop of curtains .. like a hologram or holograph...whatever its called..when Dorothy,the tinman,and the lion.finally got to the wizards palace,,..its a bit like that isnt it...its a bit wierd...but I dont do portraits....or at least thats my excuse....Jack.

D Akey
03-31-2007, 09:55 AM
A bit. . . hahahah.

But you're no humbug, Jack. That wizard was admittedly one.

pai
04-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Hi Dkey, thanks for you lovely comments. (but i'm not that gorgeous and feminine) :lol: :lol:

Hi Aged P, you're good at looking at drawing. yes, i personally also like the hair and the mouth. :D thanks for your nice comment.

Hi bcmillustrator, thanks for liking it. the picture was taking without i knew it when my friend just called my name while i talked to another person.

Hi Jack, that's a really good portrait. why you don't like it. As Dkey said, you really looks like an artist. I like the smily in your eyes. :D

Steppenwolf
08-10-2007, 10:51 AM
My portrait updated! Hair gone with the wind...

Caesar
08-11-2007, 02:27 AM
I'll use my Avatar self-portrait because I'm lazy. It's the most genuine mental effort (although not the best product for a "challenge") since it was made without any recourse to either a mirror or a picture.

Mohd
08-17-2007, 03:01 AM
very well done everyone.great input.keep it up.btw this challenge is still on? :)

INKwithN
08-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Heres my latest portrait of myself...Dont ask...lol.I was bored again.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e93/INKwithIN/HelpMe.jpg

raider10
08-18-2007, 06:56 PM
I think I look like this

Aunt_Betsy
08-23-2007, 04:13 PM
I used to look like this for a short time when I had lost a lot of weight, now it’s just artistic license. :D

ingie01
08-25-2007, 11:13 PM
I have been experimenting with animation and found an application that is Mac only. Studio Artist is not cheap and not for the faint of heart. Just getting into it.......an experiment Munch's Scream......

screenpainter
08-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Those are all amazing!

jimandersonz
08-29-2007, 04:45 AM
this is about a year or so old..and i wouldnt do it the same way now..but there it is.

jimandersonz
08-29-2007, 04:45 AM
this is about a year or so old..and i wouldnt do it the same way now..but there it is.

D Akey
08-29-2007, 04:54 AM
@ Jim.

I remember this one and really liked the direction technique wise. Maybe you can revisit it at some time. I liked the designed quality. Sort of like Klimpt.

D Akey
08-29-2007, 05:02 AM
Wow, there are a lot of really cool self-portraits that I missed. Fun discovery.

Caesar, Inkwithin, nice getting a closer look at your avatars.

Raider10, nice painting. Just because its only the head it reminds me little of a djinn or genie. Cool. Would make a good avatar, certainly.

Steppenwolf, that's a really good portrait. Well staged, and certainly gives a clear look at you. Definitely canine. Heh.

Aunt Betsie, nice. One of the qualities about painting and drawing is that it's about interpretation. And we as viewers have to accept it at face value, so to speak. Good choice for your avatar.

Ingie, haha. Looks like Santa orbiting in the space station, spying out whose been naughty and nice. Certainly a lot of dynamism in it. Surprised me because it looks very different than you avatar.

screenpainter
08-29-2007, 04:28 PM
well done Jim. Very dramatic image... good painting technique.

jakobpolack
09-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi there

nice topic here in AR forum...I thought there must be a selfportrait gallery... and here it is.

Ive stuck with AR since 1.0 free edition, and must say the new 2.5 rocks

hope you like my simple rendition of myself, 50 % traced I must admit. I see tracing as a technique along with other techniques - and not cheating...( I mean - you can also handle tracing poorly)...

(oh , by the way - nice work Sweedie...)

D Akey
09-19-2007, 03:16 AM
What a remarkable style. The black marks are fantastic and pleasingly varied. And the color works great.

Graphic and artsy. :D :D :D

jakobpolack
09-19-2007, 03:41 AM
thanks on the comment - its always nice with feedback.

it is quite graphic..

I cant really figure out how to use artrages paint options in a good, controlled manner, but I can see from various image uploads that its possible to paint really well in AR.

maybe its a matter of focus...
anyway - thanks

jakobp - cph

shirly
09-24-2007, 09:15 PM
i painted myself!!!!!!!!

screenpainter
09-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Fantastic portrait and a great style Jakob!

screenpainter
09-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Shirly that is lovely work by a lovely young lady. I really like your icon.

shirly
09-25-2007, 08:16 AM
i like you feedback....thank you gzairborne!!!!

D Akey
09-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Very lovely and artistic, Shirly.

You make me want to see so many more new paintings of yours. :D :D :D

. . .with this fine avatar too.

shirly
09-25-2007, 10:43 PM
thanks d akey.....n i thought my last avatar was better :roll:

pai
10-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Second self-portrait.

screenpainter
10-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Beautiful!

shirly
10-22-2007, 08:50 PM
wonderful portrait :D

Nika
10-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Pai, this is beautiful self-portrait. It's so warm and soft! :) :)

Nika
10-27-2007, 01:10 PM
This is mine :D

D Akey
10-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Oh my God --- PAI you're BEAUTIFUL

And about a year ago you said you weren't.

(Stop being embarrassed)

Honestly. This is amazing. Beautiful painting on every level.

Congrats. It's not an easy thing to do either.

:D :D :D :D :D

D Akey
10-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Nika!!!!!

Wow. What deep and soulful eyes you have. I swear I'm in heaven at last. So much beauty.

Is your hair so dark now? It looks short like Liza Minelli when she was in the movie Cabaret.

Now I can see that you're, uh, white and fluffy? Perhaps not so much in this picture. Maybe thats when it snows. This must be your summer/fall colors.

Beautiful. :D :D :D :D :D

Selby
10-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Lovely Pai your sparkle comes through in this picture:D

Nika beautiful...really a soulful portrait you have done..you look luminous :D

Selby

Caesar
10-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Finally! We saw Your new avatatr and were longing for looking to You full size! Charming portrait and model as well!! The suspect you were another beauty, Belle en français,, in this Forum (is anyone wanting to play the Beast?) was suspcted since Your previous Avatar. We have now the most evident confirmation in Your style!
Cheers

Nika
10-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Selby, thank you very much for kind words. :)

D Akey, thanks a lot. Like every woman I love experimenting with my appearance. My hair is really short and dark (almost black). My eyes are a little bigger in this picture just because it's the part of my face which I really like. Now I feel I have to paint "winter self-portrait" where I will look white and fluffy in all respects :D :D

pai
10-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Thank you Nika. :) I really like your portrait especially your beautiful big eyes. They can speak.

Hi Dakey, thanks for the nice words and they still made me embrassed. :) Were you mixed up me with another gal here. :lol: I only join the forum for about 8 months.....

Thank you Selby for the nice words. :)

Hi Caesar, thanks for the wonderful words. :) I pretty like to be the beast myself. :lol:

D Akey
10-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi Dakey, thanks for the nice words and they still made me embrassed. :) Were you mixed up me with another gal here. :lol: I only join the forum for about 8 months.....

You found one of my flaws that I chalk up to being male -- I'm wretched with dates. I may not keep a good calendar, I don't think I could mix you up with anyone else, Pai. Certainly not now that I've seen your self-portrait.

I still can't get over how amazing an artist you've become in a very, very short time. All you needed, it seems, is some clarity on what you wanted to paint.

The hair is amazingly adept. I sort of chalk up your confidence in making long strokes, as you did there, to writing with a brush (or did I invent that too?). It's showing a skill level with the brush nearing that of John Singer Sargent himself -- one of the greatest portrait artists ever.

He could say so much with so few strokes. You were looking for a style, your brushwork in this one should tell you plenty.

And the head is really well done. Only 8 months. . . wow.

Remind me. . . how much art did you do before you came here?

:D :D :D

pai
10-30-2007, 03:36 AM
Hi Dakey, thanks again for your additional input. :) I'm in a stage exploring the right techniques (or technical side) so I can capture all my spontaneously impluse :lol: in a more proper manner. I still like doing those free strokes like the hair ones you pointed out (same as those in my very beginning posts) ; but I guess I need some basic practices/knowledge on drawing. More...more practices.... :lol: For style, as I remember Peter has said before, so hard to find a right style for yourself.

Before I found Artrage, I've done nothing. I guess maybe I always interested in stuffs like music, dance, movies...that kind of related to arts.

D Akey
10-30-2007, 07:48 AM
:lol: For style, as I remember Peter has said before, so hard to find a right style for yourself.

That was probably Robert Wade. I don't think Peter has ever suffered through something like that. He just paints whatever comes up, style isn't his target. The process of painting is. Or at least this is my understanding.

And look at his stuff. There's enough of a continuity to say he has 2 identifiable styles. The one that shows up in his seascapes and such, and the one that's playing with shapes and colors and effects. I have no idea how well they would share the same canvas. But separated, they look pretty good.

All ways are valid. Each path will teach something different. Much is determined by the nature of the artist.

Like they say, there are many paths leading to the mountain top. I always envied those who were clear about their direction.

Caesar
10-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Oh, sorry Nika, because it has to be downloaded I was missing Your enchanting eyes, Your intense nd meaningful expression and Your magnetic charm!! Is there anyone less than beautiful among AR ladies in here??? :D :o
The portrait You made leave me still in admiration of the beauty emenating both from Your physical features and warmth emanating soul and the astounding style and art values revealed in the painting! :shock:

shirly
10-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Great portrait nika ........you really have lovely eyes :lol:

John B
10-31-2007, 04:27 AM
Wow, the lady's are lovely. How about some more of us guys giving it a try. You first, Caesar, Dakey, and Robert. Then I might have a go at it. LOL
John B

Nika
10-31-2007, 04:58 AM
Pai, Shirly, John: thank you very much for your nice comments :) :)

Caesar, thanks a lot for your wonderful compliment. You really make me blush :oops: :)

D Akey
10-31-2007, 05:13 AM
Wow, the lady's are lovely. How about some more of us guys giving it a try. You first, Caesar, Dakey, and Robert. Then I might have a go at it. LOL
John B

My avatar is my self-portrait. Isn't yours too? I've been staring at it waiting for your human aspect to appear. Since it didn't, I thought this was your full time handsome self.
:lol:

Caesar
10-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Dear John,
there's my avatar somewhere herein, where I tried to reproduce myself with no reference at all but memory, as usual.
I've plenty of WIPs and ideas yet to take off and little time to encouraged to proceed, so, for the moment being, I can only put it into the queue, I'm afraid.
Maybe I can use my face on a painting I'd like to propose for Christmas, as painters used to do in the old times, but I cannot give an assurance. The idea is overwhelmingly complex and something magic should also occur! :?
In any case, do not expect me to rival in any one, especially now at past (sounded as we say) 48, with such splendid creatures as the ladies in here, my dear. :wink:
It's like looking at masterpieces producing masterpieces to me and it's hard to split admiration for the works from that for the pretty authors.
:) I'm a sort of late Stilnovist"!!

Bumble
01-08-2008, 01:22 PM
:oops: I've been working on this for weeks now, it's a gift for my boyfriend.... :lol: :lol: Many thanks to Gz who helped me get it finished.
Thanks Gz :D :D

D Akey
01-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Wow! It's the British Mona Lisa!

What a timeless expression! It's a look that's as smooth and inspirational as one of your skies.

Very very lovely!

This suitor chap, he's in for some 'eye' times!

screenpainter
01-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Wow! It's the British Mona Lisa!

What a timeless expression! It's a look that's as smooth and inspirational as one of your skies.

I felt the same way. Like it was reminiscent of Da Vinci or Vermeer.
A masterpiece portrait Bumble. Beautiful.
You are welcome for the very minor tweak suggestion at the end. It helps to have a fresh set of eyes sometimes after staring at your work so long.
It really is a stunning portrait. You have surpassed us all in the portrait department! Master work. :D

Caesar
01-08-2008, 10:31 PM
I tend to agree with my more illustrious colleagues! There's a mix of Italian, Flemish and Dutch painting here! :shock: :D :D
Your face and expression are as soft and bright as Your skyes, dear Bumble. You look blessed as in some Saint's painting! :o :D
The expression, timelessness, nuancing and softening of tones recalls Italian painting, the pronounced details realism, colours, atmosphere and lights more northerly art.
Congratulations! :D

pai
01-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi Bumble, that's a beautiful self-portrait painting. Very soft feel. :)

Selby
01-09-2008, 10:33 AM
wow :shock: :D fantastic bumble :D thats amazing...i keep expecting you to blink and move any second its so real. As the fellows have said a renaissance painting come to our times.

I hope your giving yourself a massive pat on the back...portraits are so very hard to do at the best of times and i find self portraits even harder and youve done a masterful job :D

Selby

Nika
01-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Beautiful self-portrait :)

Bumble
01-09-2008, 12:42 PM
D Akey, Gz, Caesar, pai, selby, and Nika thank You very much for your kind comments..... :oops: :oops: :D :D

Marumaar
01-18-2008, 05:24 AM
pai, this portrait is amazing!
you are actually giving yourself, your "inside self" ¿???? on the drawing.

Marumaar
01-18-2008, 05:42 AM
your portrait has impacted me!
the skin plus the eyes, plus the hair
eyes and skin, Vermeeer came immediately to my mind
hair, i don't know, there IS somthing really interesting, really genuine, i mean personally of yours, of something absolutely original, in the way that hair is painted in the whole picture.

i've been having fun looking how look everybody else :)
i don't paint :(, and i certainly DO NOT look as in my avatar, that's only on fullmoon nights :)

ENCHANTER
01-18-2008, 06:38 AM
I VE JUST SEEN THE LADIES....

'Charlies Angels' :lol:

Beautiful self portraits :D

Lee
01-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Dear Bumble, at least we know who this Mona Lisa is, BEAUTIFUL!

Pierre-Luc
01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
my first and only self portrait

D Akey
01-22-2008, 05:15 AM
Nice one Pierre-Luc!

Very stylish fellow. You look like a musician and/or artist.

Pierre-Luc
01-22-2008, 07:45 PM
:lol: i actuly look like this! lolllll

sickfish
02-12-2008, 12:16 AM
There's some great self-portraits in here!
Bumble - yours especially made me think, "wow"!

One day I'll be brave enough to try painting myself. Right now I'm working on a portrait of my beloved. Maybe after I've done that.

sickfish
02-12-2008, 02:36 AM
This isn't my usual style but I thought it would be fun to have a go at a thick oil representation of me.

Canvasian
02-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Ok, here's mine! Done with pencil, thinned oil paints, palette knife, and a tiny bit of spray brush. Was a lot of fun, and turned out better than I expected :)

The white shirt is supposed to be a turtleneck x.x

Davisa
02-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Here I am. That I had worked on the paper with pencil. This was my exercise and I had tried to draw myself in caricatur. But it look not so good and it´s not simple :( . Later when I will have more time and I will work on ArtRage.

D Akey
02-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Ah, a pre-emptive strike, eh?

Well, Just wait till some of the caricaturists get hold of you. They've scared off more beautiful women. . . hahah.

Only kidding. I like your pic. And your caricature is very silly and makes me chuckle.

Fun!

Keep playing.

Davisa
02-19-2008, 11:05 PM
They've scared off more beautiful women. . . hahah.

So so, I think not. Hehe :P

Only kidding. I like your pic. And your caricature is very silly and makes me chuckle.

Thank you, I know now who are you. You´re a bit bold :lol:

Lamborghini
02-24-2008, 04:32 AM
I'm sitting here looking at all these cool pictures thinking I should do one of my self...... Then I think well how am I going to get a qulity picture of my self to look at?!?!? then I think wait I can't get one my camrea is horrible and I'm too lazy so hows that ????

Storm
02-29-2008, 01:53 AM
Awsome! Impressive! Inspiring. Great Job!

juliediane
02-29-2008, 06:28 AM
All the portraits are great. Your all so talented, I have never been able to draw people. Ends up looking like deformed aliens.. haha. So I'll have to be content with my little photo by my name. Again, great work.

unrooolie
06-20-2008, 07:14 PM
i love this program

gioulin
06-21-2008, 12:34 AM
hi all!

this is me,and I think that this is one of my portrait that I realy like.I think its my favourite!
:D

D Akey
06-21-2008, 02:03 AM
Lovely.

Welcome.

Nice style, and a beautiful lady.

Judith Tramayne
06-24-2008, 08:12 AM
I liked this challenge and since I've never done a self-portrait, I thought I would give it a shot. So here is me :D

Scary -- not good when you're my age to do a self-portrait. Should be done earlier (LOL)

Judith

Oops forgot the original photo:

drzeller
06-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Terrific job, Judith!

David

Boulderdash
06-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Second self-portrait.

Wonderfull, so soft..

D Akey
06-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Wow. What an amazing first portrait!

Rick
06-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Pai.. Just viewed your self portrait.. Such beauty.. Very nice painting..:)

cLuMsY_joel
07-23-2008, 05:40 AM
This is perfect!...I literally just finished my first self portrait since I left art college (5 years ago!)

It's done in tribute to, and in the style of 60's Psychedelic Poster Artist, WES WILSON. If you've not heard of him/seen his work then visit wes-wilson.com (although I have attached an example of his work in this post)

Caesar
07-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Great portrait, style and background!:)

shirly
07-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Wonderful ....nice portrait!!:):D

babelbox
07-26-2008, 11:15 AM
only just started it

Tana
08-03-2008, 12:19 PM
This is my attempt, 2nd ArtRage ever... me on one of my horses...
Thanks for looking, and Critiques are always welcome!
Tana

Dany51
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Very nice Tane, ups!.. Tana;
good painting too, descriptive and nice colours.
Welcome. :):D

juliediane
08-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Ok, tried again and again and again, not a people person. This is about half traced and half my work. Was going to post my reference pic but it showed to many wrinkles. LOL

faygo
08-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Some of these are pretty super! I enjoy unroolies :) A few others I really like but thats the only one I remember the name of.

damasocl
09-01-2008, 03:30 AM
Es la primera vez que le hecho una mirada a este sitio, y está muy bueno.
Sirve para que nos conozcamos mejor.
Bueno, acá va el mío a sugerencia de Pai.

It is the first time that I take a look to this place, and it is very good.
It serves so that we know each (an)other better.
Good, here mine (suggestion of Pai.).-
;):rolleyes::o

fraser_paice
09-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Well this is the gallery as well.. but damn I'm so pretty...

Asincrono
09-07-2008, 10:35 AM
How can someone stop to play with Artrage?

We are complex, aren't we?

P.S. I have not too many hair all the time :D

beachcoma
09-16-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure whether I like it or not, but I'm gonna give it a try... Eventually I've got to start somewhere.

michaelw
09-17-2008, 05:44 AM
wow, this is harder than I thought! scruffy, but it's getting to look like me....

D Akey
09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Great portraits all!

Selby
09-18-2008, 10:53 AM
gosh great new additions guys :)

screenpainter
09-19-2008, 07:15 AM
These are all fantastic. Really great work. :)

crunchyleaf
09-19-2008, 06:49 PM
This is my self portrait. sorry its so undynamic. I decided to stick with pencil for my first try:D

Viktor
10-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Here I am.

Selby
10-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Nice soft one crunchyleaf and a great point of view Viktor:)

Levent Suberk
10-06-2008, 09:54 PM

Dear Pai, very good painting, but your avatar painting is perfect in colours and overall.

JonJon
10-15-2008, 01:55 AM
Hello everyone! I'm new here :]
I just got an HP tx2510 tablet PC haha and this is one of my first tries at both painting something on it AND painting a self-portrait!

and it's (hopefully) really creepy :)
(and no, I'm not emo :P)

michaelw
10-15-2008, 02:14 AM
Eeeeww

That's "nice"!!!?

dali
10-15-2008, 03:46 AM
Ahh! Reminds me of that vampire flick where everyone was bleeding from their eyes. Or was that the zombie flick.:D Creepily done!

RobertSWade
10-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Actually, everyone who has to live in Baltimore cries blood. :eek:

angells
10-17-2008, 09:50 AM
my first portrait of me :cool:

ShockHorror
10-19-2008, 05:52 AM
All of these are so good!

Wait till you see mine, haha.

ShockHorror
10-21-2008, 05:26 AM
Here I am:

It pales into insignificance compared to the other portraits I've seen.

Dany51
10-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Nice, if you crop it and resise to 80x80px it can be a nice logo for you until another new one.
Be welcome:)

Klaymator14
10-21-2008, 03:12 PM
I would post mine, but I can't since I'm new, It will only allow me to post it until I make more posts...Oh well. :D

D Akey
10-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Great stuff all!

@ ShockHorror -- what an image to go with your name. Would make a provocative avatar indeed, haha. There is a little mischief in that pic.

blurymind
10-29-2008, 07:29 AM
alrighty,here i go:

http://blurymind.deviantart.com/art/my-cracking-face-102008585
my cracking face (what is it about)

jackie0109
10-30-2008, 10:24 PM
I started to draw a sketch of myself and I find it hard rather than drawing other people.

Cannelle
11-08-2008, 08:23 AM
here's me !
nice to meet you.

D Akey
11-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Nice self-portrait! You can paint well. :)

coops
11-10-2008, 06:15 AM
Well I am very nervous putting in my painting after seeing so many wonderful portraits. This is the first once I have done and it seem to take me for ever but its me double chin and all.

sandyg
11-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Oh Coops, that's good for a first portrait, what an attractive lady you are.
Nice to meet you too Cannelle and what a lovely name, your painting is very good also.

D Akey
11-10-2008, 07:55 AM
It's quite elegant! What a wonderful first self-portrait. Great work.

coops
11-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks Sandyg and Mr Akey, I think you are being generous. I can see all the faults in it (or is that me that doesn't like the way I look) but maybe next time it will be better.

sandyg
11-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I'll have to try again as well, but here's the 1st try.

D Akey
11-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Sandyg, you captured a thoroughly delightful presence. 1st self-portrait? Are you kidding me? It's great. Very pretty and there's no doubt.

coops
11-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Sandyg that is really lovely so bright and cheerful. For a first it's really great.

sandyg
11-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Thank you D Akey and Coops, Perhaps D Akey I was being too flattering, I was deemed pretty when young.
I've tried again, I used the photo as a custom picker and used that, I tried to get my dimples.
I put my glasses on, because I need them for the computer and I look more intelligent, the skins still not right, I tend to have a high colour, I'm always smiling and show my teeth and they are hard.
I tried to get more highlights in the skin and hair, the back grounds the right colour but silly me still had metal on from when I did neckless, so that's got metal, which went on other things.
I've kept step 1, the main sketch on my computer so I shall play around till I get the skin colour just right.
I'm hoping with practice it will get better, I've done the hair better in this one but my eyes and nose are more true in the first, but with work I hope it will improve.

igg
11-12-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm new here i can just say that the rage team has made a great job developing this amazing tool, and you all mates rock!
I don't know what enjoy most: drawing or viewing your drawings...:rolleyes:
Anyway here i am, light and clean, whit my realistic twisted nose ;)

D Akey
11-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Quite a nice drawing, igg. Like a young character out of a manga almost, or a 3D game or something -- even though the medium and aspects of the drawing might be different.

Nice job.

sandyg
11-12-2008, 05:23 PM
That's a good sketch.

digi-mech
11-13-2008, 02:15 AM
cool.. does it have to be factual? or can I put myself in the guise of another (vampire, sci-fi, etc)
steve

sandyg
11-13-2008, 09:35 AM
I'd do it digi- mech I didn't think of that, do something Sci fi or vampish, I'm sure we'll all enjoy seeing it.
Don't forget there's a monster project also, you might like that, if you haven't done one yet, that's quite a fun thread.

digi-mech
11-13-2008, 10:28 AM
ok... I have already posted this image elsewhere in the forums today. so I appologise if you have already seen it.

its a self portrait, not finished yet, my first colour outing with artrage. Im doing it for my own site as a self promotion tool... all good fun, though Im not really a vampire :D honest, and as Im working with a mirror apparently its round the wrong way! (so says the mrs anyway)

steve

sandyg
11-13-2008, 10:54 AM
wow, that's frighteningly good, you sure you've got a reflection.
I'm glad you did it , you'll have to do a monster now for the monster project, I'm sure that would be very good as well.

digi-mech
11-13-2008, 11:58 AM
thanks.. its certainly getting there.

steve

Dany51
11-15-2008, 09:08 PM
I tried to do my self-portrait after a photo BW,from 30 years ago, it dosn't look exactly like me, still have a little, little resemblance.
It was the first try with FaceGen and I finished it in Art Rage.:p:)

sandyg
11-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Love the skin Danny, the highlights are good.

Dany51
11-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Thank you Sandy, is not easy to do some thing from a tiny bw photo.:)

monicka84
11-26-2008, 11:18 AM

hmmm... maybe I will add some color :confused:

sandyg
11-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Yes add some colour, lovely drawing.

lazlazlaz1
12-19-2008, 05:00 AM
Here is my attempt with reference image

Sandro Borg
01-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone.
My first post here,so I thought I'd introduce myself with a self portrait I produced recently using ArtRage.
Great work I'm seeing being produced here,always very inspiring.
Great software too!
Any comments are welcome.
Thanks.

pai
01-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Welcome Sandro.:) My comment to your self-portrait is excellent well painted. Hope to see more of your works.

Thyra
01-27-2009, 05:08 AM
my first only-feltpen drawing :)

weembaman
01-27-2009, 05:51 AM
I like this drawing...Very nice...

tomzuk
01-27-2009, 09:37 AM
This self-portrait was made about two years ago.

suziQ54241
01-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Here's one I did in late last year.... Nice challenge BTW.

pai
01-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I always think self-portrait is not easy. There're more just painting.

Thyra and tomzuk, besides it's beautifully done, it also shows the characters. I think by seeing these paintings. Like seeing you as a person and get to know you through it. Very artistic to me. :):)

pai
01-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi suziQ54241, how come I missed yours. It must be while I wrote the last comment at the same time, you uploaded the painting. I really like it. Very mordern style of self-portrait. You like orange palette a lot. Now, I want to paint a new one but it's so hard to paint yourself. :rolleyes:

sandyg
02-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Welcome Sandro that's a very good portrait.
Hello and welcome again. I agree it's a very good software, we all love artrage here, and enjoy these forums.

GhengiSean
03-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi everybody. First time to the Artrage forums and I love this painting software.

-Sean

silvy
03-09-2009, 04:11 AM
Welcome Sean, i'm new too.
Here I am for the portrait challange.
This's my AR self-portrait. Some years ago I've made one(resized in my avatar) with photoshop .
Hi everyone:)

misterpaint
03-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Ciao Silvia, allora siamo in due :)
non ti preoccupare per l'inglese, c'è sempre chi sta peggio (io?)

Ottimo ritratto! mi piace molto la tecnica che hai utilizzato.

silvy
03-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Grazie Misterpaint anche per i tuoi tutorial di base che mi sono stati molto utili:) e per la guida in italiano.
Non penso proprio che il tuo inglese sia peggiore del mio.
Così faccio pratica...
Alla prossima!

Sketchism71
03-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Just wanted to drop a line to say I thoroughly enjoyed looking at this thread and all the amazing self portraits! Incredible. We are definetely all unique and you are all amazingly artistic! I guess I will have to attempt one of these sometime soon... Thanks!

enairo
03-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi there, this is my first portait with art rage, this is me of course:rolleyes:
Hope you'll find some resemblances!!! I think that self portrait is one of the hardest thing to do, you have always a mental image of yourself and it's difficult to get rid of it even with a picture!!!

RobertSWade
03-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Enairo, welcome to here first of all. I think this is a very strong self-portrait of a quite lovely woman. :)

emenemsbis
05-22-2009, 08:48 AM
ok, so...maybe I'll post my self portrait as well - but it's a little bit ld (this drawing has 6 months or even more :P), and that time I didn't use Artrage...oh well :) But I think that the result is more important :) I promise that my next self portrait would be made in Artrage :)

byroncallas
05-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Just stumbled on this TERRIFIC thread. I'm not sure when, but I'll prepare something for here, just in the spirit of the thing. It is inspiring reviewing the great work here along with the faces that go with all the names posting these often moving paintings.

MaryS.Hines
05-23-2009, 01:15 AM
hi, Jules...this is about as close as I can get to a self-portrait for now ..(I used a pic of myself as a reference)...I'll try n do a better one later :)

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28008&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1242856159 (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28008&d=1242856159)

emenemsbis
05-23-2009, 06:25 AM
the previous one wasn't made in Artrage, so I'm posting Artrage version now:P I made it today :)
Something quick I must say :P

yachris
05-23-2009, 11:24 AM
That's a beautiful painting, Em. Well done!

emenemsbis
05-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Yachris, thank you so so much :D

Illuminati
05-26-2009, 02:09 AM
lol heres mine:P

Lima
05-26-2009, 08:11 AM
I tried too...

flyashy
05-30-2009, 01:43 AM
Just joined today and found this wonderful thread.
Here's mine.
I call it 'Not as God made, but as God intended'
;)
LOL.

irishrose
05-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Welcome Flyashy!!! That's a great self portrait. Like your title too! You're gonna be a hit here! Stay a while!

I love ALL the self portraits.. .wonderful idea!!! Expressive and fun!

flyashy
05-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Gee Thanks Irishrose,

I hope someday I can get as good as all you great artists :)

and yeah I'm addicted already so I'm gonna be around for a long time!
Lol!
ta,
ashy

irishrose
05-30-2009, 08:37 AM
You will be... no doubt about it... it's VERY addictive... and looking forward to more of your paintings. You already are awesome!

SabinedeLioncourt
05-31-2009, 08:35 PM
now keep in mind that i did this all using the track pad on my laptop as opposed to using a wacom tablet. it turned out well, except that my hair is jet freaking black and I couldnt get it dark enough. I used the paint tube, pencil, crayon and palette knife.

yachris
06-01-2009, 05:24 AM
SabinedeLioncourt -- that's a fantastic portrait, without knowing how it was done. Knowing you did it on a TRACK-PAD... WOW! I can barely do ordinary mousing with one of those :-). Well done!

Little_John
06-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Hope I'm not too late for this one.

I'm going to use this pic as a "Wanted" poster kind of deal..so here it is.

MoSHCAKE.
06-13-2009, 04:56 AM
yaaaaahhhhhhhhy im being nom nom nomed by cardinals.

ridix
06-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Varity of portraits all! I try to look for Pastel tutorial in AR, none, so, experiment time. I wanted to try Degas pastel / oil technique look. I got some what close but not quite! His black line is lot more heavily applied.
In the old days if you made your self-portrait you need to sit in front of a mirror. Today’s artiest can draw from any view using web cam, which I did.

michaelw
06-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Very interesting picture!
I like where you stopped this... a few marks that say everything!

ridix
06-15-2009, 12:34 AM
I stopped at that point because mainly I had terrible time picking the right color for the skin. The default color picker, HS/L Picker, is too sensitive at the region of skin tone for me. Color setting was going all over the place just by slight movement of cursor position! Since than I found LS/H or HL/S picker works better. It has more wider zone for desaturated color picking.
Strange, in real life one only have hand full of color tube to pick from. With computer color picker, there are million shades to pick from. And I end up hunting for that “perfect” color! What ever that is.

Alandra
06-19-2009, 02:28 AM
I've just started using ArtRage and I'm still getting used to it...
But I tried a self portrait^^I'm not really good when it comes to drawing, but it's fun nonetheless...

mannafig
06-23-2009, 06:44 AM
This is me I re-worked a photo that was taken on holiday last year:o.hope you like it. All the other portraits are amazing well done everybody.

dali
06-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Hi, been awhile since I last posted, I know. I've been busy with picturebook illustrations. But here is one for my website. Instead of putting up a picture, I will put this in my bio.
I did it differently this time in chalk instead of my normal paint and airbrush. Some pencil involved as well for the fine detail. :D

Sansonnet
06-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Painted without reference, but I do think it looks like me. :p
(I love polar bears!)

screenpainter
06-27-2009, 05:14 AM
Amazing... all! Beautiful portraits! awesome work here.

Lima
06-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Beautiful indeed:)

Canvasian
07-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Ok, here is... I believe my second attempt at a self-portrait... although it might be my third, it's been awhile. Anyways, here it is! Intended to trace it completely in the beginning, and it worked wonderfully for the hair... but for the face, and the eyes, I hated the colors it was choosing... so the highlight on the left side of the face, and the hair, are the only things that were really done with the trace feature. I did pull some colors from the reference photo, but I ended up tweaking them a bit anyway. Going into my avatar as soon as I can remember how to do that...

Alexandra
07-25-2009, 02:04 AM
painted photo using airbrush and distorto on corel. Look likes I have been hit in the face with a bouquet of poppies. :o

Canvasian
07-25-2009, 09:16 AM
It seems your hair has become the background! Interesting way to do it :) good job

Raybrite
07-27-2009, 08:43 PM
There is a reason I only draw flowers, animals and things. They don't feel bad about the outcome. This was me in my younger years.

Alexandra
07-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks Canvasion. The hair has always been a problem, decided to paint it as it usually is-out in the wild somewhere on its own.

Alexandra
07-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks Ray for posting your picture. It is nice to see everyone here. All beautiful people.

Alexandra
07-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Great self portrait Canvasion- love the texture and expression.

Alexandra
07-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Sandro, great portrait and great face! Well done. I as well look forward to more of your paintings.

silvy
11-04-2009, 06:23 AM
After almost a year try again with the self-portrait.....:rolleyes::)...and make a new avatar;)

Alexandra
11-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Excellent portrait and painting Silvy!!!:):):):):)

screenpainter
11-05-2009, 12:38 PM
wonderful portrait Silvy...you look like a classical artist.

FreeAlchemist
11-07-2009, 09:18 AM
So here's mine. Actually I don't have much experience in drawing portraits.
But this thread showed me that there is no impossible things in this multiverse
:) Thanks for creating it!

Docsmith626
11-07-2009, 10:07 AM
FreeAlchemist, do I see the touch of a potential comic artist here? ;)

FreeAlchemist
11-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Who knows..:) Now I am practicing in manga/anime style.
So you are not far from truth!;)

Alexandra
11-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Well done!:)

Dochappy
11-07-2009, 12:27 PM
this is my first time doing a portrait. think it turned out pretty good

Docsmith626
11-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Manga is a good way to tighten up your drawing style. The downside is that Manga is a form of shorthand designed to maximize production. Don't lose your individual style in the process. As your self-portrait demonstrates, you can achive a high degree of realism through a minimalist approach. :D

FreeAlchemist
11-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks a lot Docsmith626!!! I will remember it.

Facenna
11-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Some great work here!

Just did this especially for this thread - but I think I made myself look like a fella! lol Think I did my jaw a bit too strong, but there's still likeness there! :D

Dany51
11-10-2009, 02:35 AM
The model was me but the result is not exactly a self portrat.
I publish in here two variants, the second one is for Pai :):):)

pai
11-11-2009, 10:46 PM
So many new additions and I like everyone did their own way of interpretation of themselves. So unique style. Great works everyone. Self-portrait is fun. :):):)

@Dany, thanks so much for the version you painted for me. I like it very much with the bamboo painting at the background. Feel like seeing a rice paper with Asian painting. However, I like your own self-portrait painting more. You have used your unique color palette which I think it's representing your style. The souful eyes and facial expression. Beautiful one. :)

sandyg
11-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Some great addititions to the portrait section, great work everyone.
Sandyg.

FreeAlchemist
11-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Another attempt. Quess it is more a soul state than a portrait:)

Docsmith626
11-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Love the wide-angle lens effect here.

Gray
11-24-2009, 07:22 PM
There are some really great portraits in here. Here's mine... I cheated with the color picker a bit... You can probably tell.

Lima
11-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Hey Gray very nice portrait indeed. And so, you are also a musician?

Gray
12-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I play a very poor guitar. I love it, but I really don't know what to do with it. =D I'm a better singer, but I'm not sure you want to hear that either.

Ponella
12-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Here's my self potrait. I haven't drawn myself since middle-school, so this was a little challenging, luckily I took a picture of myself at christmas to use as a ref :D My mum thought this was brilliant, I hope you guys think that too.

misterpaint
08-12-2010, 05:16 PM
SPEED PAINTING:
I have used a new kit of stencils and stickers for simulate the brushes of corel painter ^_^

http://a.imageshack.us/img594/3112/autoritrattoar.jpg

Briex
11-04-2010, 09:09 PM
What a great thread Jules! Nice to see all those creative portraits. You should erect a portrait gallery in the MOARA. I've been off here for a while because of my busy life. Now concerning the self portrait: I used the original self portrait painting of Edward Hopper, depicted my own face (the one with the glasses) on it, changed shirt colour, ArtRaged the whole and voila!

frame352
11-05-2010, 07:01 AM
great pictures in this thread! i only got a few pages into it just now. Dany51, you ended up with a wonderful drawing, even if it departed from the original intention. Facenna, that is hot! Dochappy - the business!!

steverino365
11-07-2010, 03:55 AM
I thinks this looks like me:confused:

Emily848
11-11-2010, 10:13 PM
thought I'd give it a go :) Yes, my right eye doesn't open quite as wide because I can't see as well through it

frame352
12-04-2010, 12:50 PM
:D that is quite surreal heikki! excellent!

Hi, Jules. Nice idea.

MKROOT
05-09-2014, 12:29 PM
My self portrait ;)

Jonquil
05-09-2014, 10:56 PM
COOL! I'm sure I nearly met you the other night. Scared me half to death! :) Nice work!

bijutoha
07-03-2014, 07:16 PM
here's me !
nice to meet you.

Good one .....

shekofte
07-05-2014, 09:12 PM
My self portrait ;)

honestly , it startled me !

thatbloodywoman
08-25-2014, 07:06 AM
Using almost every tool possible.

stevemawmv
08-25-2014, 08:09 AM
Welcome!......Great introduction, moody and all, your expression sums it all up. Love it....and "Using almost every tool possible"...that's the spirit!!!
Take care,
Steve

shekofte
08-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Using almost every tool possible.

uhm ! no
don't be moody please ... pick up your pencil and redraw a jolie laide this time ;)

robinbirdie
12-03-2014, 02:54 AM
My first attempt using artrage4. Airbrush and pencil.