PDA

View Full Version : How to paint skin

mannafig
04-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Hello everyone I am going to attempt a Tutorial on how to paint skin (Alexandra and Likoum)
I have never done a tut before so I apologise if I skip bits or forget to mention something:o

TOOLS
Airbrush
Palette knife
Eraser

Steps 1 and 2

Alexandra
04-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Thank you Amanda, great tutorial.:) Any preferences on type of canvas?

mannafig
04-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Hi Sandra I just use the basic paper setting on this one but other settings work just as well in my opinion depending on what look your after

Step 3 and 4

arenhaus
04-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Except that the color of *anything* makes sense only in its environment.

In blue light, skin will be blue. In red light, skin will be red. You have to pinpoint characteristics other than color to make it feel like skin in either case. Reflectivity, translucency, value and color saturation, etc.

You're trying to do generic "flesh" color here, and you haven't established any environment.

It's always a good idea to begin with the background, than the figure. It is easy to tie the object into its environment, but it's next to impossible to tie an environment to an arbitrary lighting on an object.

Bertie
04-03-2010, 02:30 AM
... It's always a good idea to begin with the background, than the figure. It is easy to tie the object into its environment, but it's next to impossible to tie an environment to an arbitrary lighting on an object.

Just to be sure that I understood you right: If I'd paint a room with e.g. a table, cupboard, window and a person - you'd paint the room and window first, eventually the person?

Likoum
04-03-2010, 02:44 AM
This is a good tutorial. I like the part with the tools settings and the result is good, thanks a lot Amanda :)

@Arenhaus : my understanding of your meaning is that you have to use colors depending of the background and environment for highlights and shadows ... I think that you are right, but I will ignore this for the moment on my side : I first have to learn how to cast highlights and shadows on subjects ;)

kenmo
04-03-2010, 04:49 AM
Great tutorial... Thanks kindly.... I do have one question though not sure what you mean by "palette knife on BLUR"....

Again many thanks...

Ken

mannafig
04-03-2010, 04:57 AM
Arenhaus Thank you for the comment. But as with all art everyone is different they vary as much in style and creativity as they do in ability.
I have always worked the main picture first and then added in my background I also already have in mind how my pictures will look in my head.:):)

Likoum Thank you very much I am pleased I could offer a little help:):)

Alan
04-03-2010, 05:07 AM
Great tutorial... Thanks kindly.... I do have one question though not sure what you mean by "palette knife on BLUR"....

Yes, that would be using the palette knife with the "blur" setting selected. This was done in ArtRage 3, ArtRage 2.5 does not have a blur setting if that is what you are using.

Great tutorial Amanda! Will definitely be using this.

Cheers!

mannafig
04-03-2010, 05:34 AM
kenmo Thank you as Alan said but if I remember correctly 2.5 has a soft option on the palette knife which should give a similar effect.:):)

Thank you Kindly Alan I was then about to explain this ( I forgot 2.5 is different)So thanks for doing it for me.
Can't wait to see what you do.:):)

barnburner
04-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Manna, thank you so much for sharing your gift.
I have learned a lot from it.
:)

Juz
04-03-2010, 06:02 AM
@Mannafig... Nice tutorial, I've added it to the list :):)

@Arenhaus... People take time and effort to make tutorials for the sake of the community and they are not up for technical criticism. Please confine your critiques to the appropriate 'critique' forum. Thank you

Alexandra
04-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Amanda, there you weren't even finished before I hammered you with a question. So sorry dear friend. This is a great tutorial on skin, and also on drawing and shading-you do it so well. Excellent tut!:)

mannafig
04-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Barnburner You are most welcome it feels good knowing that I am helping:):)

Juz Thank you so much I really appreciate it:):)

Sandra Thank you so much:):) You were very welcome to ask the question as it was a simple thing I forgot to mention:)

kenmo
04-03-2010, 08:14 AM
kenmo Thank you as Alan said but if I remember correctly 2.5 has a soft option on the palette knife which should give a similar effect.:):)

Thank you Kindly Alan I was then about to explain this ( I forgot 2.5 is different)So thanks for doing it for me.
Can't wait to see what you do.:):)

I'm using AR Studio Pro... But not sure which palette knife preset you are using... I do see the blur function but all of the presets have a blur function...

Are you using Instant Blur, Just Blend Color, Hard Out Smear, etc....

I'm hoping this maybe close to Painter's 'Just Add Water" blender...

Cheers & thanks for the great tutorial...

Ken

mannafig
04-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm using AR Studio Pro... But not sure which palette knife preset you are using... I do see the blur function but all of the presets have a blur function...

Are you using Instant Blur, Just Blend Color, Hard Out Smear, etc....

I'm hoping this maybe close to Painter's 'Just Add Water" blender...

Cheers & thanks for the great tutorial...

Ken

here is a quick screen shot of how I use this I hope it helps if not let me know and I will try to sort it out

kenmo
04-03-2010, 08:28 AM
I know where the palette knife is ... LOL..

Just curious which preset you're using...

Cheers

Ken

mannafig
04-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Just standard as it comes I guess:):)
oh dear I just noticed I feel dumb now:o:o:o
I have it set on instant blur

Likoum
04-03-2010, 08:59 AM
I know where the palette knife is ... LOL..
I guess that it was the setting pannel that Mannafig was wanting to show you on the screenshot, not the tools panel ;)

Juz
04-03-2010, 08:59 AM
@Kenmo
To create the preset that Mannafig is using use the following steps:-

Creating a custom preset

1) In the settings panel, choose the blur knife and set the pressure=100%, softness=100%
2) In the presets panel, click 'New Preset'
3) Name the new preset, click OK

You now have the exact settings preset available for future use

Hope this helps :):)

mannafig
04-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Likoum and Juz Thank you both very much that was really kind of you I really appreciate your help:):):)

kenmo
04-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks....that's what I was looking for.... LOL...:):)

Lima
04-04-2010, 02:25 AM
Thank you Manna.

arenhaus
04-04-2010, 02:37 AM
"Just to be sure that I understood you right: If I'd paint a room with e.g. a table, cupboard, window and a person - you'd paint the room and window first, eventually the person?"

Well, not quite. I'd start with the overall tone of the walls first, and block out the furniture and the figure. In very broad blocks of color. All over the canvas - this is important.

Once I am sure this is going to work right, I'd add more detail, again checking the figure against the background. But I'd definitely begin with the background, leaving white only where there will be white in the finished piece.

It's better to go down from wide block-in to small detail, but to work on the whole painting all the time. This way you have much less chance to get something wrong.

But I'd definitely begin with the environment, not with the figure.

mannafig
04-04-2010, 05:58 AM
Well Kenmo I got there in the end:D:D

Your welcome dear Oriane:):)

Bertie
04-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Thank you arenhaus for your kind explanation. I see it was worth to ask (and will be worth to try). And also thanks to mannafig for your understanding... ;-)

mannafig
04-07-2010, 05:13 AM
Sorry I took a while to post this last bit. kids and Easter eggs are a sure thing for a big headache:D:D

This is the last bit I hope I have been able to help you out with how I paint skin.:):)

You are most welcome Bertie:):)

Alexandra
04-07-2010, 08:10 AM
I am going to have to put this into my notebook. A wealth of learning there Amanda. Thank you for your time and hard work. Very beautiful.

mannafig
04-07-2010, 08:19 AM
You are most welcome dearest Sandra:):)

Likoum
04-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Many thanks Amanda :)
A good use of the glitter tool :)

mannafig
04-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Likoum You are most welcome.:):)

eighty+
05-11-2010, 10:38 AM
thanks mannafig what Iv'e been looking for now I'll have to try ??
I havn't tried the airbrush yet but I will give it ago got lost P/ knife not used to the settings yet :confused::confused::confused:

mannafig
05-13-2010, 09:07 AM
You are most welcome Eighty+ I look forward to seeing what you come up with:):)