PDA

View Full Version : The Flowers of Evil

alkratzer
03-30-2010, 02:47 PM
(This was in response to Peter's "Let the sky talk to you" Art projec (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=288550#post288550)t)

The "Flowers of Evil" is a collection of poems about decadence and sensuality by French poet Charles Baudelaire (1821 - 1867). He could be thought of as Edgar Allen Poe's gloomier French cousin.

In today's world, a convenient example of a "Flower of Evil" would be the opium poppy, and all of the woe associated with it, from Taliban terrorized Afghan farmers through 15 year old heroin addicts half a world from the fields.

In a broader sense the "Flowers of Evil" are anything that seems attractive and hides its poison behind perfume.

Alexandra
03-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Mesmerizing, illuminating, beautiful, and touching Al.:):):):):)

Tonyjazz
03-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Great BG and use of complimentary colors.

justjean
03-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Beautiful colours flowers and sky and a great message in your painting Al

AT-TA
03-30-2010, 07:51 PM
As usually, i love the color use ,so impressive.Geat job Al.:)

coops
03-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Wonderful colours and wonderful painting AL:)

Caesar
03-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Brilliant idea and outstanding outcome, dear Al! You know for sure how to make vivid colours sing together!

D Akey
03-31-2010, 06:10 AM
How evocative. The parasite luring the host. Cogent and literary description. I enjoyed it a lot. May even have to read some Baudelaire. Poor fellow didn't last too long. Fascination with the dark, choices, choices.

Interesting image. Without your comment, not sure I would have come to your theme based on the visuals alone. Intriguing take. :):):)

MJSparks
03-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Charles Baudelaire?

Hmm.. Gloomier than Poe? Wow. I will have to look into his poetry.

Interesting twist to sky in Peter's project though. I like it.

sabena
03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi Al

I like your flowers and your style:):rolleyes:

Caesar
03-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Since we have here, thanks to Al, the opportunity of a high literary reference, I think it useful to simply add some information for curious people willing to explore beyond their usual boundaries, as in the case of MagenSparks.
With due respect for Edgar Allan Poe I love, I would just point out that whilst Edgar Allan Poe was more a novelist, a first ranking one and a quite prolific and innovative writer, a creator of the mystery and thriller genres in a way, Charles Baudelaire was rather a poet and among the greatest ones ever with his "Les fleurs du mal".
I believe that what they really have in common, as cousins, was the fundamental reaction to the positivism induced expectations and failure.
The symbolic and/or decadent poetic movement Baudelaire anticipated, was quite a broad and fundamental evolution in modern art, culture and literature. Other great poets (and novelists) followed ideally Baudelaire's anticipatory start for many decades.
Among them other three French top class ones, such as Verlaine, Rimbaud and Mallarmé. The follow-on evolution of their poetic conception, rather than their phylosophies, produced other great poets and novelists.
In France we cannot forget the great Guillaume Apollinaire and in Italy, for instance, I should cite at least Gabriele D'Annunzio (pushing more on aestheticism and sensuality), Salvatore Quasimodo and Giuseppe Ungaretti (ermetismo movement), just to keep into the first ranking ones of the last century.

alkratzer
04-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Thank you Sandra, Tony, Jean, AT-TA, Coops, Caesar, D Akey, Megan and Sabena! I am pleased to read your comments.

D Akey -- You're right to make the parasite comparison. The Flowers of Evil call with a pleasant song and then overrun the garden of their victim's life. Baudelaire said, "Whether you come from heaven or hell, what does it matter, O Beauty!" It is by this tendency among men to believe that the surface tells the whole story that we are ensnared.

The choice of Opium poppies as the symbol was even more obvious since Charles was a longtime opium addict. He struggled to rid himself of the addiction and commented. "If a man turns to poison to think, soon he will not be able think without poison!"

Caesar -- Thanks for the additional notes and background, you have given us more food for thought!