PDA

View Full Version : COME ONE ,COME ALL,Let the sky talk to YOU(MORE SKIES ADDED)...........

Peter Pinckney
03-28-2010, 05:00 AM
A little while ago I was doing a WIP and I received a comment that set me thinking...........the comment was that the viewer found it very surprising to see that I was painting from the top of the canvas down..........I've always done it this way and I explained that when the sky is finished IT tells me what to paint next............so I thought I'd post a sky here......you take it and see what it leads YOU to do...........it's not a contest ........it's an experiment that could be very interesting. Re-post the finished paintings here and let's all enjoy ........:)

Dany51
03-29-2010, 05:45 AM
I did a little lazy answer to your sky inspiration,
the Ocean and a gull
but I liked the idea.:):):):)

MJSparks
03-29-2010, 09:40 AM
I accept your project challenge! :D

I'll post my results as soon as I'm finished.

alkratzer
03-30-2010, 02:10 PM
OK, so I know I went a little far off the beaten trail on this, but once I decided to play around with the hue of the sky things began to move in a new direction. :o

The "Flowers of Evil" is a collection of poems about decadence and sensuality by French poet Charles Baudelaire (1821 - 1867). He could be thought of as Edgar Allen Poe's gloomier French cousin.

In today's world, a convenient example of a "Flower of Evil" would be the opium poppy, and all of the woe associated with it, from Taliban terrorized Afghan farmers through 15 year old heroin addicts half a world from the fields.

In a broader sense the "Flowers of Evil" are anything that seems attractive and hides its poison behind perfume.

MJSparks
03-31-2010, 06:08 AM
This is what I came up with.

I will probably tweak it a bit more... maybe.

Thanks for the inspiration!

EDIT: GRRR! I always forget to sign them! :(

Alexandra
03-31-2010, 12:50 PM
Hope you don't mind Peter that I made a planet.

Peter Pinckney
04-01-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm amazed at the diversity of impressions here..........well, I shouldn't be really
because everyone here is just like the rest of humanity....unique!!

Keep them coming please..............I'm loving this!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):): ):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

barnburner
04-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Something a bit different..

jonwood
04-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Hi everyone, I haven't posted much recently but I hope you like this one !!!

Alexandra
04-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Oh my gosh, I just had to comment-Jon, you are brilliantly funny!:D

jonwood
04-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Alexandra thank you very much...there are some great pieces on this thread..:D

justjean
04-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm enjoying them all :D

Jono
04-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Hello, thank you Peter for inspiring me to do something, itís a wonderfully moody sky youíve given us. Iíve taken the rest of my inspiration from Henry Moore, the British sculptor.

I experimented quite a bit with this painting, but it was done mainly with the ink pen, sticker spray (grass brush), airbrush, water colour, duplicating and adjusting layers, and a quick tweak in Photoshop. Basically you name it, I used it!.

I love all the other ideas that have been posted here so far.

Regards, Jono

coops
04-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Heres my little effort, hope it fits in with the others:)

shasha
04-07-2010, 06:25 AM
I have just purchased a graphic tablet and this is my first finished work!

As you can see, photo realism is incredibly important to me :cool:

I feel a little bit embarrassed posting in such esteemed company...BUT...I love 'projects'. I hope to use 'Art Projects' as a workshop - learning how to use my tablet and ArtRage. Hopefully you will see me 'evolve'.

Thank you Peter for supplying us with a great start :)

justjean
04-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Here's a sky I started a while ago and never could figure out what I wanted to do with it so for now I have just added some grass and my painting of the cat , when I can think of what I want to do with it I will finish it but for now here it is :D

silvy
05-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Dear Peter, this is what your sky suggested to me: a solitary tree in the rarefied light.;)

hanhepi
05-12-2010, 05:59 AM
your sky turned into this for me!

hanhepi
05-26-2010, 11:28 AM
was playing with some grass stencils, and thought "heyyyyy.... this is what i should have used on that sky painting!" i was right! so here's the results:

pai
05-27-2010, 10:50 PM
great thread and creative, peter. so many great works here and interesting to see how everyone uses the same sky...hmm...make me want to do one too. :)

eighty+
05-28-2010, 03:16 AM
i'd like to have go but don't no how to get your image out can you tell me
:confused: :confused: :confused: thanks

DaveRage
05-28-2010, 04:12 PM
If you right click the image in the first post, then choose 'save image as' you should be able to save the file somewhere handy. Then you can launch ArtRage, go to the File menu, and choose 'Import Image' to bring it into the software.

You can either paint on the same layer, or add a new layer and paint on top.

Bobbi
05-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Thought I would take advantage of the great sky Peter created.

eighty+
05-29-2010, 09:20 PM
thanks for the info I did wonder how people were putting stuff in other people post's, and what about that zig zak line that you can't let go had to quit to get rid of it, what's it for :confused::confused::confused:

DaveRage
05-31-2010, 09:59 AM
If the zig-zag line is in ArtRage, and you get it by selecting a tool then clicking on the canvas, that's the polygonal selection tool which allows you to make custom shapes on the canvas. Press the esc key at any point to quit the selection. If I misunderstood, feel free to email me at [email protected] with the details and I'll help you out.

dragonbird
06-01-2010, 02:25 AM
hello all,
this is my first time here, and on ArtRage.
but heres my picture of the sky. it wont be great quality or so but it was my first time :p

meya
06-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi,

That's what your sky said to me...

Peter Pinckney
06-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Returned to this thread and I am knocked out by all your responses..................I don't have a lot of free time at the moment so here is another one for you all to play with.........have more fun than I am at the moment!!!!:mad:

dragonbird
06-12-2010, 08:37 AM
here's my creation of the 2nd sky (yes i'm the first :D)
its like the rise of an angel
and i still like this thread, its so inspirating.

@ meya
nice dragon ;)

tolman
06-16-2010, 06:47 AM
I didn't see the last sky...

Jono
06-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks Peter, another wonderful sky. :)

Having said that, Iíve virtually obliterated it by doodling ink all over and pushed the colours and contrast to almost destruction (Edit -> Adjust Layer Colours...). Iíve actually used the sky twice as the wall is also made from it over the swirly art paper. Iím ashamed to say the frame was free clip art imported in. :o It just didnít seem worth the effort! :D

Like my last sky one, I did this one on my Netbook, as I really enjoy working 1:1 size Ė but obviously no good for printing.

Welcome tolman to the forum - not for me say really, as Iím just a newcomer myself. But what I can say is thatís a very thoughtful painting youíve done Ė beautiful in itís simplicity.

Love all the other posts too :D Ė all inspirational in their own ways.

All the best, Jono

QueenRospo
06-18-2010, 11:31 AM
following my instinct

clay_baxter
06-22-2010, 02:12 AM
I felt like a misty day on the water. Thanks jack tar for the stencils

barnburner
06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
I followed up on the theme of Alexandra's "Shipwrecked" painting in the gallery.
Three Rescue spacecraft from the planet Sandra have
come to Earth to find the shipwrecked "Male Huntress" that had not reported back.

Mairzie Dotes
06-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Peter,
Even though I should be in bed now, I noticed your thread and just
had to paint "something." Did not spend much time on it but since
the sky "always" talks to me, here is my offering titled, "Sunrise." :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alexandra
06-23-2010, 08:47 AM
I followed up on the theme of Alexandra's "Shipwrecked" painting in the gallery.
Three Rescue spacecraft from the planet Sandra have
come to Earth to find the shipwrecked "Male Huntress" that had not reported back.

Mike, this is really cool. Thank you for thinking of my thread. Great work!

Alexandra
06-23-2010, 08:49 AM
MaryAnn, Beautiful! I love those colors!

barnburner
06-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Mike, this is really cool. Thank you for thinking of my thread. Great work!

Thank you Sandy for both your kind appreciation, and, for the inspiration of your painting that - in the words of Yogi Berra, "made it necessary". LOL....:):)

Mairzie Dotes
06-24-2010, 04:39 PM
MaryAnn, Beautiful! I love those colors!

Alexandra,
A sincere thank you. Don't often stop this way but when I noticed
Peter's "Let the sky talk to you" invitation I just had to zip in and
investigate because I love "anything" sky image related. Once here,
that "PING - gotta paint" thing happened. :)

What a wonderful gallery of enchanting sky paintings here. :)

Mairzie Dotes
06-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Speaking of "skys" ... we experienced a whopper of a thunderstorm
here in my area around dinner time today. As the storm approached
I grabbed my camera, hung out of my back window and snapped this
HUGE thunder bluster as it came frothing and swirling towards me.
What fun! :eek:

The sky experiences many moods and I am always quite amazed at
the never ending kaleidoscope of displays. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

barnburner
06-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Mairzie - love that storm picture. I too am, and always have been, fascinated by the never ending combinations of cloud and sky.

Mairzie Dotes
06-25-2010, 04:45 AM
Mairzie - love that storm picture. I too am, and always have been, fascinated by the never ending combinations of cloud and sky.

barnburner,
Your complimentary response is much appreciated, thank you
and must tell you how I laughed when seeing your sky painting,
"Male Huntress." I hope that the rescue space ships have
discovered their "down for the count" friend by now. The aliens
should have no trouble finding this prone, well attired damsel.
Those blazen striped stockings would be like wearing distress
leg warmer beacons that ANY self respecting extraterrestrial
should be able to readily see. :D :D :D :)

pat1940
06-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Peter .....:):):)This was a fun project, hope you like it

pat1940
07-01-2010, 01:21 AM
This was fun, and a great project, hope you like it:):)

pat1940
07-01-2010, 01:25 AM
My painting is going somewhere else, can't see it in the project, so it has gone somewhere twice....lol:):):)

Silver Rider
07-17-2010, 08:14 AM
This sky made me think of how my Arabian horse likes to run with reckless abandon when a storm approaches and this is my very humble and amateur effort.

Mairzie Dotes
07-19-2010, 11:12 AM
My painting is going somewhere else, can't see it in the project, so it has gone somewhere twice....lol:):):)

pat1940,
Two aqua blue moonlit nights to dream by ... what more could a star
struck girl ask for. Romantically mood driven and beautifully painted! :)

Mairzie Dotes
07-19-2010, 11:23 AM
This sky made me think of how my Arabian horse likes to run with reckless abandon when a storm approaches and this is my very humble and amateur effort.

Silver Rider,
There is an ethereal, poetic power in sky and earth for those who can
move, see beyond the surface and you have artistically imagined and
created the inner essence of these dramatic inspirations. Magnificent! :)

Silver Rider
07-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Wow Mairzie!
I really appreciate your feedback. I am a real novice and I guess I was trying to just go with the feeling that Peter's skyline evoked for me. Glad you liked it. I am hoping to paint more in future and not just "photoshop".

pai
07-21-2010, 07:54 PM
waves abstract

Caesar
07-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Here some of mine ones where the sky play the protagonist ...

lsheppler
07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi Peter, I'm a new member, relatively new to painting. Love ArtRage! Thanks for this exercise. I'm looking forward to getting more involved in the forums.

Silver Rider
07-23-2010, 02:31 PM
This is the moon made of Peter's sky ...

S J Patterson
08-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Hello Peter,
I am an absolute novice when it comes to artistic creativity.
I was always ok at school and took art for GCSE.

Unfortunately my father thought it was a waste of time and turned up to a parents evening once completely drunk and proceeded to ridicule both my work and my art teacher:(.

Now, at the age on 28 I don't have to let my father's influence stifle me any longer.

I am a British soldier working in the field of telecommunications and Information systems engineering (Think channel four's IT Crowd in combat uniforms:D).
So I'm more familiar with a mouse and keyboard than an easel and brush.
On impulse I bought a Wacom Bamboo pen set on a chance visit to currys while just browsing the pc section.

This turned out to be a fatefully serendipitous moment if ever there was one.
After downloading my copy Artrage 2.6 that came supplied with the tablet and pen set I seem to have caught a creative bug, and you could say I've become addicted .
I can't stop thinking about what I might draw or paint next.

Anyway, your comment about the sky setting the mood of the piece is true in my humble opinion

Winslow Homer came to mind as I thought about what I wanted to paint.
I've always had a thing for lighthouses and stormy seas.

For me I think this painting represents how I feel about my own life and how I often feel separated from other people in their secure well ordered groups.

All comments are welcome and I only ask that you please go gently with this virgin ArtRager.

Kindest regards.

Stuwert James Patterson
(yes it is a strange spelling, I have my mother to blame for that one:rolleyes:)

P.S.
Some of detail was lost when I converted to JPEG. Is there a better way to convert using ArtRage without loosing too much detail? Or is it just because the Dpi setting was originally set to 72? (ie web friendly).

Silver Rider
08-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Hi SJ, I really like your picture. You give me hope that a novice can achieve something like this. Your painting really evokes the sea and the waves for me - getting a little green.:D

Mairzie Dotes
08-09-2010, 08:39 PM
All I can say is WOW to the works of art submitted here and the latest
entry's submitted by pai, Caesar, Isheppler, Silver Rider and S.J.
Patterson's, "Chasing Dusk" are absolutely magnificent, each evoking
different mood driven emotions. I am constantly overwhelmed by the
talent here in this forum. :)

As an example, had to literally pull myself away from being absorbed into
"Chasing Dusk" while hoping that the voyager would make it to the
lighthouse before nightfall. It was almost as if I could feel the chill of the
cold spray on my face as I strained at the oars that fought against
the choppy, unforgiving waves. Fear and exhaustion is now setting in
with the darkness. Am I moving closer to shore or ... or ... Viva the artist! :)

Planet
08-10-2010, 06:22 AM

Snow,snow,snow...
Let it`s snow!!!! This is my boyfriend, hi is super champion of snowboarding :p;)

S J Patterson
08-10-2010, 09:05 AM
To both Silver Rider and Mairzie Dotes,
Thanks for the heart warming comments. As a nervous first timer it really means a lot that you each shared your thoughts with me.

Viva.
S.J.x

silvy
08-11-2010, 03:40 AM
Returned to this thread and I am knocked out by all your responses..................I don't have a lot of free time at the moment so here is another one for you all to play with.........have more fun than I am at the moment!!!!:mad:

Hi Peter, here your second sky's landscape for my mind.
Hope you like it;)

PS: Agree with Marzie. Very beautiful new paintings in this thread:)

Antony Kancidrowski
08-13-2010, 11:37 AM
I am not an artist although I enjoy experimenting with my artistic side. I think that the composition works quite well in this instance. The idea was to have a dark haunting feel to the scene that provokes an emotion.

[Edit: Sorry that did not seem to work I'll have to move the picture else where]

Antony Kancidrowski
08-13-2010, 12:02 PM
I would have liked to share my picture but the forum will not allow the link. The art presented in this thread is impressive and is giving an amateur like me some needed inspiration.

MJSparks
08-13-2010, 12:43 PM
You should be able to save the file into a jpg format or any of the others that are allowed and attach them to your post. You have to make a bit more posts before they allow you to add weblinks.

Hope that helps. I look forward to seeing the skies that everyone else produces. They have been most excellent and creative.

Antony Kancidrowski
08-13-2010, 01:05 PM
I've been able to upload to the gallery. So if anyone really wants to look for it they can.

@MagenSparks So perhaps in future I'll be able to post links.

sunshine
08-14-2010, 06:02 PM
I love looking at everyone's pictures. What a great idea. I used all stencils for my version. Hope you enjoy it.

sunshine

drawnaway
09-05-2010, 01:47 PM
A way through the snow...

Mairzie Dotes
09-05-2010, 08:54 PM
drawnaway,
"A way through the snow" speaks of a frosty day but a warm message.
The path has already been cleared and the traveler seems not to be
alone. A cheery place of comfort surely awaits at the conclusion of this
scenic excursion. Love things snow, those footprints look real and well
painted. :)

Docsmith626
09-06-2010, 05:22 AM
Anthony, I had a look in your gallery, and was very impressed. Please try again to post "Halloween" in this thread. It would be a welcome addition.

Peter Pinckney
09-21-2010, 09:49 AM
I've been knocked out, amazed,astounded and very pleased at the responses to this thread, due, in no small part, to the Rage Team's inclusion in the credits of AR3...............which, to my shame (SHAME!!!) I had not read until now (DUH!)........anyway here is another one for you all to play with...................I'm going to use it as well because I like it..................have FUN:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Lee
09-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi Peter, glad you are feeling better and are still doing your pretty skys, here is a quicky, your sky made me think of something from the Forest Gump movie, ...I couldn't tell where heaven stopped and the earth began, , thanks for the pretty skys!!! aren't all the entries wonderful!!!?:)

Ruan
09-24-2010, 02:18 PM
THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THE SKY IMAGE! :D I had sooo much fun painting this!

tall.lady
09-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi all,

This is my first time on this forum and I am managing to do this with my teenage son's help.

I decided to take up the challenge and make something of this sky picture.

The sky is wonderful, wish I could do one like this myself. Still very much in the experimental stage.

coops
09-27-2010, 03:03 AM
Great painting Tall Lady and welcome to the forums.
Thanks for another great sky Peter and here is my use of it. Thanks again

tall.lady
09-27-2010, 04:11 AM
Hi Peter

Thought I'd take up the challenge

Tall.lady

sandyg
10-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Hi All,
Great creations.
I've called mine Tempest. I got mixed up with my sea and sky. But it was fun.
Sandyg.

clogva1
01-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Here is my simple little doodle to add to the project.

moosie
01-22-2011, 02:24 AM
i love when old threads get new life :D
here's my effort ....i cobbled it together while 'his lordship' :rolleyes: was deciding where we were going for dinner lol

Peter Pinckney
01-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Keeping it alive.......here's another

coops
01-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Lovely sky Peter hope you like what I did with it:)

kptad2
01-25-2011, 06:37 AM
saw this thread through and update to my AR Glad i decided to check it out!
Peter , thank you for sharing skies WHICH ARE ALL AWESOME & BEAUTIFUL!
here is where one of your skies has led my thus far.. looking forward to see where the others take me :D

[NOTE] ok so I have tried everything to attach the image even adding a URL for the image .. what gives!! it's not letting me show my work :(

Gail33
02-03-2011, 02:25 AM
I agree Jon, this is really cute. I love it.

Nero
02-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Nice Idea and artworks !

MacPix
02-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Thank you, Peter! This is a great way to get the creative juices flowing!

Jasper
02-07-2011, 04:25 AM
New to drawing and artRage. Made this a week ago.

Peter Pinckney
02-08-2011, 06:02 AM
here you go folks.............:):):):)

coops
02-09-2011, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the loan of the sky Peter and hope you like this one they are so much fun to do.:)

Alexandra
02-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Hi Peter, I was listening to some beautiful Cherokee music this evening and was in the mood to paint this young Brave.

These are all so beautiful. Great one Katie!

Peter Pinckney
02-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Little John asked me if I could show how I paint a sky so here goes...........first I have to say that I use 2.5 because I find the knife easier than Studio Pro but that's just a personal observation...........most of the screen shots are self explanatory.........

Peter Pinckney
02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
then I change the knife from smooth to an edge

Peter Pinckney
02-10-2011, 12:54 PM
last leg of this little exercise...........

Peter Pinckney
02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Hope this helps and shows just how easy AR makes it..:D:D

Little_John
02-26-2011, 04:53 AM
Peter,
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. Now that I've seen your method it reminds me that you did post something similar a while back. I think you were using chalk and the glitter tool...?...maybe.
Thanks again for letting us in on your secret. That's just awesome, and now I can't wait to get home and give it a shot.

~John

Chuckart
03-08-2011, 04:31 AM
Abandoned beach

Jeff
03-11-2011, 01:32 AM
I found this to be an interesting challenge, as it looked like a looming storm and needed a little warmth for balance from the dove and sunset. Thanks, Jeff :)

Mordecai
03-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Peter, you draw skies very well. I envy your talent.
What I did:

byroncallas
03-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Peter: Wonderful thread. Great stuff by everybody. I thought I'd give it a go.

Peter Pinckney
03-21-2011, 01:01 PM
A couple more for you to play with:):)

fountianhead
03-25-2011, 05:58 AM
thanx to someonesane for showing me how to resize the stencils, i was able to clean up the edge.. =)

Mairzie Dotes
03-25-2011, 06:37 AM
Sky's really do speak a thousand words in this awe inspiring thread.
I can't seem to get my fill of these wonderful expressions ... works
of heaven sent art all. My fond admiration to all who post the many
amazing lofty imagines here. :)

coops
03-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks Peter, hope you like this one and could we have a few more of your beautiful skies.:)

byroncallas
03-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Katie, that's a beauty.:):):)

Peter Pinckney
03-30-2011, 03:37 AM
Lovely Katie.....OK here are some more

coops
03-30-2011, 04:22 AM
Thank you Byron and Peter for your kind words and thanks Peter for more of your beautiful skies left for us to play with.:)

Angelofpeace
04-08-2011, 12:05 PM
This is what I came up with.

I will probably tweak it a bit more... maybe.

Thanks for the inspiration!

EDIT: GRRR! I always forget to sign them! :(

wow!!!! that is soooooooooooooo awesome!!!!!

Angelofpeace
04-13-2011, 02:04 PM
I just blended, with the knife, added more colour and turned it upside down..and made this...

not too bad but could be better, but only just started using artrage and playin with all the tools lol... I love it...!!!! its brilliant program endless enjoyment for years and years... only problem is my fingers are so sore for clicking the mouse (I don't havea graphic tablet) I'm going ot have major RSI soon lmao.. im soaddicted lol...:eek::eek::D:D:D:D

Instinct
12-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks for your inspiration!71774

Mairzie Dotes
12-22-2012, 12:58 PM
The sky is definitely LIMITLESS in this high and mighty thread.
Wonderful paintings here!!! :)

my2furbabies
01-01-2013, 04:10 AM
my first painting with the sky theme!
2.5 forever!!! Just saying.

scotchy21
02-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Love the posts...thanks for the inspiration. Once I complete something, I will post.

hypotaxis
02-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Abandon ship!

Brett :-)

Peter Pinckney
02-14-2013, 10:15 PM
another one to play with

Red-balloon
02-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Something simple, reflection and cross added. I couldn't get my image to upload using Manage Files, just got the dreaded x, so here's a link to it instead:- http://www.sheryls-place.com/ar-forums/sc-sky-feb.pngAny Any tips on how to upload images would be welcome, thanks.

gatablanca
03-03-2013, 03:58 AM
I'm not much of an artist but enjoy trying. I've just joined in while exploring my very new software.73749

pai
03-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Oh Peter, I am sorry I just noticed this thread you have started while I was almost left for the forum at that time. I just remembered Andy made one cloud and sky thread, so I was just searching at the last few pages to bring it back. Now I will start posting here as it has many recent new members and new great sky/clouds paintings in this thread

And, Peter, your cloud techniques have so much improved then last time I saw. It come to so real and so much volume like 3D. Thanks so much for showing all the steps on screenshot on how to do this. I want to try your technique. So beautiful clouds. :D

@ gatablanca, that's also a very real cloud and great sky you painted. :)

gatablanca
03-29-2013, 03:30 AM
@ pai
I can't take any credit for the sky; it was one posted by Peter. I was just playing with Artrage content.