PDA

View Full Version : Hillside Castle

jbyrjbyr1
03-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Business has been busy (in both good and not-so-much ways) so it's been a while since I've been able to visit or comment; hope to change that soon.

I've always had a thing for castles and found a neat photo reference to use (very loosely). Nearly all watercolor with a bit of airbrush and a bit of pencil (knife and eraser, too, of course). Since I seldom try buildings of any sort, the perspective and angle issues were an interesting challange for me.

As always, C&C welcome.

jb

AT-TA
03-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Pretty castle it is, jb, i do not see anything what to correct but that's me... i just wanted to tell you what a fancy castle you've painted.:)

Krondelo
03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Hehe you got a few strange angles in here that contradict the perspective. But honestly its hardly noticeable and its a nice painting ;) Keep at it!

coops
03-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Thats lovely JB, love the foliage in the front of the painting. Gives it great feeling to the painting. Well done:)

D Akey
03-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Nice!

Recommendation, think in terms of your planes and a light source. Sometimes we see really groovy photos where the lighting may work for the photo which few people would ever doubt, but does little for a painting. Sometimes our selection of a source image has to be measured in part by how it moves, as it were.

If the values work, the whole thing will probably work. Kind of like music and rhythm. If you don't have your timing working, you're in trouble. Same with values. And doubtless we could find many examples of realistic paintings that break that rule, but it's generally a good rule to use. That's why a lot of Art classes get students to draw cubes and balls and cylinders.

But again, this is a cool castle and could be enhanced in the value department. Oh, another little thing is that the way you have the dark clouds sort of conforming to the vertical line of the tower, it doesn't help in your illusion of depth too much. Making it move in a different, perhaps more horizontal direction should do the trick.

Good to see you back!

Alexandra
03-24-2010, 12:58 AM
JB, I love castles, and this one is so inviting. An eery yet pretty setting.:)

barnburner
03-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Castles are neat. I like what you did with this one.:)

kenmo
03-24-2010, 03:32 AM
I love castles too... Excellent painting....

I recently posted a link in this thread with references to some castle photos..
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28220

Cheers

Ken

Valerie
03-24-2010, 03:53 AM
JB I think this is a wonderful castle. I would like to explor it.
Val