PDA

View Full Version : Peter's Mountain Tutorial

Alexandra
03-13-2010, 02:55 AM
I am learning to do something that I have always wanted to do. I was afraid to even try.
I commend Peter on his self taught brilliant techniques and his generous spirit in sharing and passing on this joy of painting.

Now I ask for help again with this painting. I don't know how to make trees as far as back ground trees. I am also still learning how to paint water.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Sandy

barnburner
03-13-2010, 04:42 AM
Sandra, I think I may have a few ideas that will help with the trees, but I have a plumbing problem that has to be fixed right away.
I'll get back with you when I can.

Mike

Alan
03-13-2010, 04:58 AM
Alexandra, you are CERTAINLY getting the hang of it better than I. I'm still having trouble with that lighting effect on the rocks.

Can't wait to see yours when it is finished :)

Alexandra
03-13-2010, 05:34 AM
Mike, you poor thing, I thought maybe there was something to brownies or angry goblins because my sink plumbing stayed broken. I had four plumbers, my husband, my brother in law, and then myself. My father in law Bless him came over and found the trouble. The ring thinga majig (forgive me:o) was too small that came with the kit, and he went to an old hardware store in town and brought everything in and replaced it and a few pipes. Something so small can be so big. I was thrilled not to have to wash my dishes in buckets anymore. Good luck.

Thanks Alan, but I wish that I could get the same effect that Peter has on those rocks! I am going to keep on trying though. On these I used the pencil on 100% soft for the highlights, and I will check on size of point. I used oil on the second mountain.
Thank you so much!:) When will I see yours?

MJSparks
03-13-2010, 08:32 AM
I love the detailing you have so far. It's turning out to be really beautiful. It wouldn't suprise me to see a handsome wolf pack strolling up or a mountain goat. That looks like a perfect spot to get some sun.

Perhaps you could look at some landscape mountains and get some reference ideas? I'm not sure how far back you want them to go.

barnburner
03-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Disregard, and go down to the next post.

barnburner
03-13-2010, 11:04 AM
(This works for 2.5 - have no idea if it will for Artrage 3.0)
If you were interested in putting trees on the background mountain, it would be best to do that before you reduce the opacity on that layer.
The top of the foreground mountains, as they appear,
would seem to be above tree line, so there would be few, if any trees there.

This may, or may not be exactly what you are looking for, but using the same tools and methods on a smaller scale, works for making trees in the distance also.
The glitter tool works really well on trees, evergreens, and shrubs. Changing the size, pressure,
shape,etc gives a great many different looks.

I didn't take time to make this look good, just wanted to get something to you to take a look at. Hopefully
it will give you some ideas that will help.

I used the brush for this tree trunk since speed was
a factor. The tube tool will make some really interesting tree
trunks and branches, but you have to invest a lot of
time with that method.

You can also, just "build" the foilage and then add the
trunk and fit in the segments of the branches, and background where you choose, but I find this method
works better for me most of the time.

If you have any questions I'll be glad to try and answer them.

Alexandra
03-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Megan, Thank you-that is a wonderful idea.:):):):):):)

Mike, Thank you so much. I cannot wait to try this! I really appreciate your time and consideration.:):):):):):)

barnburner
03-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Megan, Thank you-that is a wonderful idea.:):):):):):)

Mike, Thank you so much. I cannot wait to try this! I really appreciate your time and consideration.:):):):):):)

Glad to offer what little I know.. :)
I hope that it is of some help.
Feel free to holler with any questions.

Alexandra
03-14-2010, 01:28 AM
I have a painting in my gallery "The Old Barn" where I scattered trees in the background, but it doesn't seem to fit here. I am still trying your method as well Mike. I think I will be working on this one for a while. Sure makes me appreciate these landscapes done by Peter, Robert, and others here that paint them so well.
Also, I want to add more space to the bottom of the painting. I tried resizing, but I could not add. Anyone know how to do that?:confused:

Alexandra
03-14-2010, 01:38 AM
Sorry folks, I just found how to add space to it. Now, I will go to work on it.:)

barnburner
03-14-2010, 04:51 AM
Sandy, I'm still not sure what "look" of background trees you are looking for.
Take a look at the background trees here. Is this in the neighborhood?

Alexandra
03-14-2010, 06:31 AM
Oh my gosh Mike! This is wonderful!!!
I will upload what I have tried. I don't know if it fits well-but it is pretty much what you suggested to the best of my abilities. I don't know if I will make a meadow, or lake yet. I would really love to paint water. My previous attempts, were okay, but not up to par really. That is another lesson for me.:o (background forest, oceans, and lakes)

I welcome any suggestions. Thanks-Sandy

barnburner
03-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Excellent! You have done a great job with that Sandra.:)

If you prefer a lake or river, then go for it. The only way you learn, is to do. I still struggle with water.
I've followed all the steps in Peter's tutorial, but still comes out looking blah... But, I keep trying, and one of these days.. :)

Alexandra
03-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks Mike, I didn't know if my trees were too dark, or if I should have layered them as well. At least I can go back if I need to and make adjustments. I will be looking forward to more of this project. It has been a nice challenge. I appreciate all of your help. If any other ideas pop up-please don't hesitate.:)

barnburner
03-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks Mike, I didn't know if my trees were too dark, or if I should have layered them as well. At least I can go back if I need to and make adjustments. I will be looking forward to more of this project. It has been a nice challenge. I appreciate all of your help. If any other ideas pop up-please don't hesitate.:)

I thought you handled the trees really well. The ones in the background are darker as they would be in the shadows, and the ones in the foreground, you highlighted because they would be catching light.
Looking forward to seeing more of this project! :)

Alexandra
03-15-2010, 04:34 PM
I am trying to decide on animals, or an old cabin. I don't know what I want to do yet. But here it is so far.

barnburner
03-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Simply outstanding! You are doing a great job with this Sandra.
The Mountain peaks, trees and grass, are all excellent.
Looking forward to the next installment! :):)

rocsujana
03-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Really i am very aspire after published the article in this site. It has lot of important things. I want to know some other things from this post.

Alexandra
03-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi Roc, I had always wanted to paint those beautiful mountains, and you may want to see the tutorial in the tips section by Peter.
You are most welcome to join in the fun.
Here is my finished project that I uploaded into the gallery.