PDA

View Full Version : Speed painting of a fighting robot

Andrea
03-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I painted it in ArtRage for the third Massive Black Twitter Challenge (they wanted people to paint a fighting robot for a future remote controlled robots arena battle), but this painting (http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs430.snc3/24780_374395158248_130234013248_3565081_8319156_n. jpg) won instead. De gustibus. Anyway, it's 100% ArtRage and even if it has some perspective issues in the head I kinda like the way it turned out. I could have worked more on it but I had to face the deadline and I only had few hours to paint it and send it to the contest; the whole speed painting took kinda 1h and then I lost 30 min resizing & sharpening it, cropping it to the required resolution, compressing it, adding text, etc. Thanks for watching :)

barnburner
03-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Absolutely remarkable! Great work. :)

Valerie
03-12-2010, 12:17 PM
This is an awesome painting. Great work.
Val

Peter Pinckney
03-12-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't say this from bias.........I honestly think yours is better!

Brilliant work!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Alexandra
03-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Totally Amazing. Incredible.:):):):):):):):)

Caesar
03-12-2010, 10:39 PM
As usual, dear Andrea, you left me mouth open!
It's so curious and still intriguing that such a huge and high-tech fighting machine has a sort of sabre-gladium as offensive weapon ...
Its pose on his knees is also indicative od some doubt in its positronic (I'm Asimov contaminated) brain ...:rolleyes:

Tonyjazz
03-13-2010, 02:29 AM
Amazing scale and great BG and palette!

foxytocin
03-13-2010, 02:50 AM
Love the look of it, and I truly think it's more interesting than the rooster who won.........your human form to show perspective is what cinched it for me.

shechat
03-13-2010, 03:21 AM
Fantastic and wonderful painting Andrea - you was robbed!

Andrea
03-13-2010, 03:39 AM
@barnburner, @Valerie, @Peter Pinckney, @Alexandra, @Caesar, @Tonyjazz, @foxytocin, @shechat : thanks for all your feedback! This community is so kind! I was not expecting to win that little contest cos I expected many good artists to take part, but I was not also expecting to lose for an artwork that is worst than mine -- and I have no problems saying this. Well, I won't take part to their next contests, since I can see that they have a quite weird way of judging artworks. Whataver, I won't lose sleep over this :D

Just in case you care, this was the description of the contest :

"100 years from now, with great advances in technology and
robotic engineering, the "battle bots" idea has evolved way past that
stupid wedge robot that always won by flipping it's clumsy opponent over.
Groups of robot enthusiasts, scientists, engineers, young nerds, and wealthy Richard Branson adventurey types have built it up to a type of semi legitimate underground sport. The "robot fighting league" started.
However a global initiative was started banning the games for fear of robot retaliation as seen in big budget Hollywood trilogies. The enthusiasts took their games off world to abandoned space stations and formed an underground robot fight club. Here they can battle remotely from the safety of their homes. Challengers are welcome and can join through multiple gaming consoles."

and those were the general guidelines :

- All submissions need to be sent by Monday, February 8th at 12 am PST.
- Final image should not be larger than 1000x800 dpi (max5MB).
- You will need to include your name and email on the image.
- Winners will be announced within 2 weeks after the end of the
competition. Winners will be notified by email and asked for their credits then.
- Please submit files with this naming convention: Twitter_02082010_YourName.jpg
- Winners will be asked for WIP files.
- Art created only for this activity will be accepted.
- One entry only.
- Minimum 3/4 character must be visible. No busts or head shots.
- No sketches for finals - only finished work will be accepted.

And here are two steps of the painting process (I did it quite fast and in hurry so I didn't save many steps) :

L Skylar Brown
03-13-2010, 04:14 AM
This is so inventive. I see your base concepts as usual, but this seems more evolved. I love the glowing "diodes", or are they windows?!

Andrea
03-13-2010, 04:27 AM
@L Skylar Brown : I imagined they are the visible product of the energy source the robot uses and that flows through its whole structure like a kind of blood; the whole robot is made of countless pieces and is very flexible and capable of sudden movements if it "charges" enough -- more or less like a cat that prepares to jump on its toy/prey. That's why I gave it such an old fashioned and anachronistic weapon too :)

coops
03-13-2010, 05:10 AM
Fabulous detail in this one Andrea. :)

Delirium8413
03-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Very cool.

Weeks
03-13-2010, 07:46 AM
So cool Andrea. :)

Very well done.

Best,

Weeks

Sketchism71
03-13-2010, 08:25 AM
I don't do a lot of concept design work or speed painting but I must say, if I decided to learn the art of it, you would be the first person who I would want to study from. You are masterful at this and your finished product is beautiful to anyone no matter what type of art they prefer. There is no denying it, your art work is superb!!!:eek::D:D:D:D

Illuminati
03-13-2010, 10:41 AM
you really should think about getting a job for desingin this sorta things for games^^

ARTGEEK
03-13-2010, 12:28 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: Brilliant work! You have some serious skills Andrea! Love your work, can't to see the next one.

Crimson Fury
03-13-2010, 04:56 PM
This is so cool! Awesome! :D

jibes
03-13-2010, 07:30 PM
You should have won!!:mad: The chicken was OK but a rather plain artwork compared to this one of yours.