PDA

View Full Version : A portrait in a Venitian Doge attire

Caesar
03-10-2010, 03:24 AM
The idea started from a famous Bellini's painting of a Venitian Doge Leonardo Loredan.
As You can now see, I evidently widely modified it to have our HR big boss instead ...

Alexandra
03-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Your watercolors are exceptional Cesare. So detailed and the classic expression really sets it off! Bravo!:)

D Akey
03-10-2010, 05:35 AM
What is HR big boss? Is that a contemporary politician?

I'm afraid the reference escapes me. But they are both snappy dressers. :D Of all the rulers, I must say that the Doge's has always creeped me out. Like for example that hat. It's part pontiff, part horned demon, part mental patient.

With Venice having been one of the most powerful and wealthy nation states, you would think they would have had better outfits. I wonder if those famous Venetian masks came as a result of being embarrassed to be seen with this guy in public.

You would know this, being the scholarly fellow you are, was his costume worn to display the various things they traded that made them so wealthy, like gold, and silk, and spices, showing profit and potency/power and so on?

It feels a little like many rulers wearing emblems of their dominion. Or warriors wearing scalps or shrunken heads or bear skulls or spoils of the people or things they had dominated.

It's a good painting. I noted the difference between yours and Bellini's. And I suspect that what you changed is what you're commenting on? Anyway, well done. The lips are a little red which owing to the first look made me wonder if it were not a baby doll kind of thing.

Nice work! Certainly begs the question. :):):)

L Skylar Brown
03-10-2010, 05:43 AM
Just think of him as Mayor, or Duke. Either way, a fine looking fella!

Caesar
03-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Thank You, dear Sandra, D Akey and Skylar.

He's our Human Resources Senior Vice President, as the motto seems to imply ...:D

Dear Sandra, actually there's no watercolour here. :o:):p

Dear D Akey, to reinforce colours I used a multiply blending which, even if through a quite transparent one, made the lips look a bit ... ripe.
Your observation is funny and right too.
To show authority and power, leaders' attire were often neither elegant nor graceful, just a big show of the rarest and most expensive commodities, but in Venice, since it was a Republic, there was probably also the need of an evident, but understated show of wealth.

Dear Skylar, this guy was much more powerful, and Venice sensible more wealth, of any Mayor of Duke and also of most of the large national Kingdoms which emerged later on, at least up to the XVI century.
The Serenissima, Venice, it's the ultimate winner among the Italian sea Republics (Amalfi, Pisa, Genoa were the others) and controlled also all the coasts of Jugoslavia, Greece and Islands such as Crete and Cyprus, where they built or grew towns and fortresses. The contribute to art history and painting in particular by Venitians, is also a fundamental one and can easily compete with any European country art history which owe so much to them (I mean also considering only Venitians greatest masters among the Italians).
As a matter of fact Venice provided most of the European fleet defeating and stopping Otoman Turkish expansion on the Mediterranean at Lepanto's crucial sea battle.
Moreover without the Italian scientific, carthographic, navigation, mathematical, shipbuilding and sailing expertise, it would have taken some more decades to explore the Oceans. It's not by chance that Cristoforo Colombo (Christophorus Columbus), Amerigo Vespucci and Giovanni da Verrazzano are names which should sound quite familiar in the American continent (even if Italy is not facing the Ocean).;):p

Evart
03-10-2010, 07:52 AM
This guy looks like a real deal ruler. Nice work!

AT-TA
03-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Yeah,it looks like he always had a good supper with the glass of vino....Very nice work, Caesar. Is this a watercolor ?

Lima
03-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Outstanding stunning work. The complex texture of Bellini's vestment is simply breathtaking.:eek::eek::eek:

jibes
03-10-2010, 11:36 AM
I like the look on his face. Good job!

alkratzer
03-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Bravo Caesar, another masterpiece of semi-transparent washes! I like how you are subtly pulling in some blue reflections in his face from the blue background! I'm not understanding the reference to "HR Boss" can you clarify -- I think we'd all have even more fun with this great work!

Al

Juz
03-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Amazing, looks fantastic.:cool::cool::):) Did the big HR boss like it? :D

Caesar
03-10-2010, 10:45 PM
He certainly has quite a deal of self-confidence, considering the role, dear Evart! :D Thanks!

Dear AT-TA, it's not watercolour, although I usually prefer thinned oil (almost a need sinec I don't either pick colour or use a pre-selected palette). I also used roller and touches of chalk and minimal airsbrush (and some knife too in some places, obviously). Thank you!

Well, dear Oriane, Bellini was one of the great Venitian maste painters for sure, and certainly a very precise guy, but also a creative one, since, if i remind it well and I'm not confusing memories, he also painted imaginary scenes with architectures and natural landscape right out of his mind (and expertise). Thank You!

Self-satisfied, isn't he, dear Jibes? :D Thank you!

He's our company human Resources senior Vice President, dear Al. I'm not the painter at our court though, so he doesn't know ....:D Is anyone curious about the motto, which seems to apply to other departments only, I'm afraid? :D:p Thank You!

I'm not sure I'm going to discover it, dear Juz. ;):D Thank You!