PDA

View Full Version : Unfinished study

Caesar
03-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Oil on rough canvas and one layer.
With reference to Caravaggio's "Cesto di Frutta" (see also below), made this and tried some glazing method not visible here.
It looks like the most promising is a to add a colour (either pure or in a toned down coloured grey version, depending on the effect You wish to get) on a new layer with thw hue blending mode.
This is the untreated version though (I won't anticipate any possible surprising finishing I may possibly get in the future by glazes).

ScottF
03-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Very interesting study, Caesar.

Alexandra
03-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Masterly painted, and beautiful to view Cesare.:)

coops
03-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I think this is going to be a wonderful painting Cesare. Its a great start:)

Valerie
03-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Wonderful painting Dear Caesar, and I am sure it will be a Master piece.
Val

Lee
03-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Dear Caesar, just love this, there is something about the colors, not as if you drew an orange or grapes or apple and filled them in with color, just the other way around, the puzzle pieces of color came together and formed the fruits and leaves, beautiful!:)

mannafig
03-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Looking superb as always dear Cesare the colours are fantastic looking very juicy:):)

AT-TA
03-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Caesare, as everybody says: we believe in your abilities to create a masterpiece.. and this is going to be one... the fruit looks so mnummy... delicious already.... I am excited, that you have already started... as if i was a cocreator.. no... i am just a cheerful onlooker... and am so much looking forward to the next stage..., but do not hurry...every fruit needs its own time to ripen...:):):)and thumbs up....

paul_uk7
03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Beautiful and very inspirational painting.

Sketchism71
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Looks great Caesar! Love the subdued colors. Looks very authentic. Did you try adjusting the "wash" layers opacity for the effect? Just curious. Fine job on this!

Rick
03-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Perfect, my friend..

Ailaya
03-03-2010, 01:11 PM
It looks perfect unfinished dear Caesar; there's something about the missing pieces that makes it look more complete...like they have been nibbled at already...the colors just stand out so boldly and there's just enough represented of the fruit to make them look delicious and bright. Love the brushwork as well :)

jibes
03-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Off to a good start Caesar. this looks like a great way to learn technique.

Belvrog
03-03-2010, 02:54 PM
That's so well done Caesar. It definitely deserves to get completed.:)

Caesar
03-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Thank You, dear Scott, Sandra, Katie, Valerie, Lee, Amanda, AT-TA, Paul, Sketch, Rick, Jessica, Jibes, Belvrog.
Absolutely flattering, although undeserved compliments, since this is not imaginary this time, but I went to Caravaggio's school (he never founded actually) in a way.

Dear friends, there's no better way to improve, than to humbly look at and try to make copies or get inspired by the greatest masters.
In this case I started studying one of the many Caravaggio's incredible paintings (just think he was a XVI century painter!) who never ceased to stun and impress me. It's not a mere realistic painting, a sort of picture. It's reality in it's beauty, colours and also melancholically ephemeral doom (gorgeous fruits and leaves already have minor signs of decadence, flaws and withering).
I obviously didn't trace it or picked colours, but rather tried to make this base to possibly experiment how to finish it giving both, credible textures and that smooth, softly blended areas and glossy finishing of ancient oil colours got from many and many glazes. This is still to be tested.
A layer with Hue blending mode and settings to be tested seem quite promising. The most appropriate blending knife setting are also to be found, because the soft blending of AR3 tend to excessively drag the paint.

AT-TA
03-03-2010, 10:47 PM
You are playing my tune, Caesar, this is the way to learn. I am not as good as you are, but painted few pics i liked and sure it is a very good lesson... always is. You have a fan in me.. cheering you on ... go Caesar go...:):):):):):):):)

Caesar
03-04-2010, 02:43 AM
Thank You, dear AT-TA, but I'm afraid I cannot fully share Your view :( ... You showed to be an absolutely masterful artist instead! :p

foxytocin
03-04-2010, 02:55 AM
Caesar, I greatly appreciate the drive that many people have to continue to learn and improve......you most definitely have it and experiments like this show your passion for your craft....

Caesar
03-04-2010, 05:01 AM
Thank You, dear Foxy.
I'm afraid that the day when I'll believe I know all I'm interested in, I would be ready to die and dissove (which I believe will never happen, because there's so much I would like to do in my afterlife too that it would take an eternity to accomplish...):D

AT-TA
03-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Foxy put it very nicely and simply... i wish i could express myself the same way...ok...Ceasar, you have it... and i admire people who have passion for what they are doing ... be it in anything, baking crafts or making shoes by hand. I am glad, that you are so willingly sharing the every step of your learning with us...shamelessly... thanks so much for that...so good to have you here....:)

Lima
03-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Great lesson mate.:eek:

Caesar
03-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Right, dear AT-TA and Oriane.
Great lessons are around us continuously going on if keep humble and curious enough to wish to learn ...
Thank You!

Evart
03-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Looks good enought to eat Caesar :D

Caesar
03-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Thank You, dear Evart.
I apologize I'm a little busy, but on Monday I'll have some time to review and comment too!