PDA

View Full Version : Adventures of AR to Traditional (UPDATE Tuscany Storm 3-12-10)

Sketchism71
03-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Hi all! I haven't been on much lately but I still make my rounds looking at everybody's newest work. Fantastic stuff lately!

I've been submerged in traditional painting (oil). It has been an interesting challenge to adjust my thought process away from digital (a bit painful at times) but I feel like I'm learning a lot of useful knowledge that will help me improve both digitally and traditionally. My work in AR has actually increased because of this except I am using it to work out color, value and composition issues before my paint hits the canvas. It has been a life saver both in time and money for the transition.

This is a very quick imaginary pear I did tonight using the exact same technique I have been using traditionally. I downloaded the Gouache Extra Fine Quality palette located in a thread done by user Trurl in the Art Supply section of the forum. It is a great traditional palette to work with.

Thanks for checking it out!:)

P.S. Turpentine and the finish on my wood floors do not get along! Digital has more than one benefit, that's for sure!;):)

yotex
03-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Beautiful pear!!
Looks fresh!

byroncallas
03-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Eddie - that's pretty darn good. You somehow seem to have quite captured the natural media look. It's down right cool - wonderfully painterly.

Your ruminations of your adventures in real paint are fun - they remind me of what now seems quite a while ago, though it wasn't really THAT long ago. Sounds like you are having a lot of fun - except it could be expensive replacing those floors.

Really a nice and painterly piece of work - you should be quite happy with it. Now I want a pear.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):)

Lima
03-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Wonderful Sketch:)

Alexandra
03-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Beautiful indeed Eddie!:)

Caesar
03-03-2010, 01:21 AM
It certainly ap-pear to be a real pear with a tasty ap-peal so as I would peel it ...:D
Very nice indeed and also a useful insight on how You proceed with an AR painting, dear Sketch!

Valerie
03-03-2010, 03:27 AM
Wonderful looking pear, looks good enough to eat.
Val

Sketchism71
03-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks Everyone for the comments!:)

More fruit. Worked in ArtRage then painted traditional. AR is perfect for this... I feel armed with knowledge approaching the blank canvas. I was focusing on value and color more than anything on this study so don't laugh to hard! Total painting time about 30 mins.:D:D

jibes
03-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Excellent fruit. It seems to have turrned out very nicely in the nat media version too.

Belvrog
03-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Wow. I fully agree with Byron. The painting with the pear looks like done with with real oils. Fantastic painting. The canvas grain pushes that look even more.
I have to take a look at the palette you've mentioned.
That traditional painting is wonderfully done mate. Great !! 30min?:eek: Would have needed more time just to wipe all off the colored dabs from the table. :D

byroncallas
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
New fruit of real canvas - it's good Eddie. I'm appreciating following your adventures here. This is a thread that could have legs, following your explorations wondering back and forth between real and digital media and using each to inform the other. I've subscribed so as to not miss a beat.:)

Sketchism71
03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the comment Jibes!:D:D
Thank you Belvrog! Yes, check out that palette it has a really nice feel to it. It seems to match my traditional oils fairly close (difficult to tell exactly but they seem fairly close. As far as the 30 minute paint job, I need to slow down. I paint quickly in AR but that is because I have the undo tool. Plus, the oils take forever to dry so there is no need for me to paint that fast. For some reason I have an urgency to get to a fairly complete state working on a canvas... I don't know why!:confused: :D:D
Byron, Thank you so much. I wasn't sure if people here would really be interested in digital/traditional transition painting. Your comment motivated me to continue to show my progress with this. I think I will just change the title of this thread and have it dedicated to this subject. Post as I complete something worth showing or until I run out of money wasting paint! Thanks again, that made my night!:D:D

This next image is a 100% AR tonal study done free-hand from a still life I set up and took a picture of. I decided to do a tonal study because that is the info I find useful when I hit the canvas. I could spend time figuring out the colors but I would just have to do it again with the paint.

byroncallas
03-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Again, an interesting study - Eddie, you're showing so much adventure here moving into this painterly approach. The tonal study seemas so "real media" in appearance - you're really showcasing this aspect of the AR software. I particularly like your reflections, especially the vase - it gives an impression of a particularly reflective surface. :)

Great to change the tread title. I think as people drift over this is a definite "catch on" thread where others will offer up similar experiments. The potential is here for a lot of instruction and fresh ideas using both mediums, each to improves one's skills in the other. :cool::cool::cool::):):):)

Dany51
03-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Very interesting all this , well done !
I can see in the traditional stuff two brushes with the blue on top and transparent holder (I can't find the word but you can understand what i want to say, just look to the photo(2one) with the tools, canvas and computer.
Can you tell me which brand it is? grumbacher ? I may be able to find it on the web but I need some reference , thanks!:)

Caesar
03-03-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm glad to see that also a master like You need to test and make excercise, dear Sketch. The tonal approach is a good idea and You may even experiment how to cover it with a layer and appropriate mode to provide colours and keep the tones value, as it happens with one of the watercolour possible processes.

AT-TA
03-03-2010, 11:05 PM
I like what you are doing Sketch. True painter is not afraid of any media and is finding the right approach to express what he wants to say... and it is so much fun to wander between real meadia and digital ones... so many posibilities, so many new discoveries... but you know all of that already... so i am so much looking forward to this picture to see it finished... the dog was awsome and this one will be too.....have a lot of fun...:)

FireFytingNut
03-03-2010, 11:45 PM
More fruit. Worked in ArtRage then painted traditional. AR is perfect for this... I feel armed with knowledge approaching the blank canvas.

OOO great idea Sketch! Love the work you did as well. :)

alkratzer
03-04-2010, 01:58 AM
Sketch,

Great thread and some great things happening here -- digital AND traditional.

I use a similar approach with my acrylics work, do the preliminary in digital, set up a monitor next to my easel and paint from it as reference. Before my recent ArtRage work, I usually satisfied myself with the digital stuff being rougher study quality renditions, mostly to get the color scheme and composition worked out. Now I'm starting to see the digital work as worthy of standing as "finished" on its own.

foxytocin
03-04-2010, 03:01 AM
It seems quite natural to use a digital program as a sort of "pre-meditation" and a program as flexible as artrage lends itself well to preliminary work-up on many types of crafts.....again and again I think a person could make stickers that resemble embroidery to layout an embroidery project....I could easily see a potter have images of standard pots loaded into the program and then using ArtRage to experiment with different painted designs on the pots as well...
Anyway, Eddie, I think this thread is most enjoyable. It is a great pleasure to see how other people work.

Lima
03-04-2010, 03:05 AM
This is definitely a booming new way to use the AR3 program Sketch. What you are doing is mouthwatering. I'm fascinated by color, as you all are, I started a thread on Blending Colors, where I'm trying to make simple correlations between colors (published colors with their real names) colors on the screen, trying to reproduce these colors on AR3. A simple and inexpensive way to study colors mixing. A kind of visual approach (eye / screen). As you perfectly emphasized in Alexandra’s thread. I'm a fan of your work and appreciate the smart way with which you attack color tonal values subtleties. Simply splendid. Congratulations Sketch.:):):)

Rob in Denver
03-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Interesting thread Sketch, and as always nice work on all of it. If you really did mess up your floors, I can help you with that for free ( its one of the things I do these days) PM me.

Sketchism71
03-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Thank you so much EVERYONE! The encouragement helps. I'm not a seasoned oil painter (dabbled in the past) but my traditional background has been mostly sketching and acrylic (as far as paint) so this is some rather untraveled territory for me.

Working on the intitial dark wash for the background. I was going to attempt this alla prima but decided I really wouldn't have enough time (at one time) so it will have to be done in stages. Just a little update!:)

Rob, thanks for the offer on the floor issue. I was able to get it up quick enough that no damage was done. Luckily for me, my wife hasn't thrown me and my paints out of the house yet!!! I'm sure she is missing my digital artwork though...lol!!!:D:D

Sketchism71
03-06-2010, 09:44 AM
All and all I am satisfied with this. I think I learned more what NOT to do than I did what to do on this one. It ended up a little dark and the reflections in the table could use a little more detail (maybe). I may keep tweaking it a little but I am ready to move on to a new project with a bit more color to it. The attached photo doesn't really show the real color of it and it looks a little blurry to me in the photo. It was difficult to take a picture of it because the oil reflects the flash. Thanks again for checking it out!

byroncallas
03-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi Eddie. There is something so wonderful about this thread watching you drift into real media and your enthusiasm for it. We better be careful here or we'll all be throwing away our computers and running out and buying canvas and brushes and paint and turps and glazes and palette knives and turp rags and easels and all the rest. You are reminding me of how much fun I used to have. We're going to have to keep a watchful eye on you. You many require censuring before you destroy the whole digital movement. :D:D:D:D:D

And love your paintings. :):):):):)

Sketchism71
03-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Haha!... Thank Byron! No worries... There is absolutely no chance of me ever abandoning digital art. I think I would like to continue to study both because they are so very different from one another yet it appears that the knowledge gained from one aids in the advancement of the other. When I paint traditional I feel like Superman with Kryptonite chained around his neck! I have no super powers...lol! Thanks for the comment!:D:D

Juz
03-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Fantastic thread Sketch, :cool::cool:

I've always thought fine artists who outright snub digital were a bit mad... the ability to work out all the headaches and issues before wasting money on expensive materials should really be enough to convince anyone. Also the added benefit of being able to take a work in several directions before deciding on 'the one'. :)

For myself, i'm more than happy to leave the toxic world of real media behind and be a giclee groupie :):)

haakoo
03-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Great work-flow Sketchism71 and the outcome even better.

Actually I do it the same way(or at least I try)
I take a picture and use it as reference in AR,leave out the unwanted or disturbing parts.
You can make the strokes in advance in AR and get the feel of it.
Now have your monitor be the sketch you want paint from
And because you already now the composition and the flow,
you can create the real canvas more easily.

Hans

byroncallas
03-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Fantastic thread Sketch, :cool::cool:

I've always thought fine artists who outright snub digital were a bit mad... the ability to work out all the headaches and issues before wasting money on expensive materials should really be enough to convince anyone. Also the added benefit of being able to take a work in several directions before deciding on 'the one'. :)

For myself, i'm more than happy to leave the toxic world of real media behind and be a giclee groupie :):)

I'm with Juzzy and Hans. If I ever do go back to traditional media, I know I'd create the painting in AR first. There's quite a few I've thought of recreating having already worked out the problems and particularly the layering information. Being able to paint layer by layer with the issues already resolved world save days (weeks in some cases) and materials and reworks.

Still, we better keep our eye on Eddie. :D:D:D:D

Belvrog
03-06-2010, 01:32 PM
That's a fantastic thread Eddie. And your newest painting is stunning, its pallete is great, the greens and reds on work very well together. I also prefer the slightly more subtle reflections compared to the preliminary version of it. Great!!!

Alexandra
03-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Wow, I am so impressed Eddie. Terrific thread and most becoming painting!:)

Vazago
03-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Hello Sketchism... I am enjoying your journey and appreciate the time you took in sharing it... I am terrified of real oil and the canvas... (time and money investment for a botched job scares me to no end).. so while I have a full painting setup.. I can't bring myself to do it... One of the things I love about Art Rage is I can learn (and mess up) without that fear...

Your journey into oils fills me with hope that eventually I will utilize both mediums :)

screenpainter
03-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks so much for this thread Eddie. Totally fascinating and enjoyable as well as educational. It is a great idea to use artrage as the study for natural medium. Wonderful stuff. I can hardly wait to see the final of that picture with the jar... it is already amazing.

Evart
03-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Very impressive Sketch, your dog seems to like it too :D

Sketchism71
03-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks Juz! I absolutely agree with you! There is definitely a disconnect between traditional and digital artists. Both to me are wonderful mediums and can be used together in a wonderful harmony. Traditional artists (I have noticed) seem to be very protective of their trade and don't tend to have the urge to explore outside of it. For example, an oil painter sticks with oils, an acrylic painter sticks to acrylics (this again is just the feeling I get from traditional art forums). I once posed a question about doing an under painting using acrylic (for the fast dry time) and finishing with oil...That thread is probably still going on but it seems as if world war three was started! I can't imagine how they feel about using digital then to canvas. Again, this is not all artists just a general feel I get when out and about. To me, I have always felt that an artist should use all the tool available and experiment to find what yields the results they are after. I can honestly say that traditional art forums are not nearly as friendly or helpful as (my home) AR!:D:D Thanks for the comment!

Thanks hakoo! Absolutely... I figure if I am going to spend the time an energy on traditional painting why not work out all the issues first on AR. It mimics traditional well enough to give the artist an idea of what they are going to be up against on the canvas. Again, another fantastic benefit and utilization of this fantastic program! Thanks for the comment!:D:D

Thanks for checking back Byron! I can't even comprehend where you would start on one of your paintings in traditional medium. I do know this for sure though, I would want to be the owner of the art supply store where you would have to buy your paint!!! Cha Ching!!! Hahaha!:D:D

Thanks for the comment Belvrog! I'm still scared of color but I'm starting to get a little more confident with it. AR has given me the confidence to explore more with color!:D:D

Thanks Sandra! It's certainly not a masterpiece but I am pleased that I was able to get paint on a canvas and have it resemble something! I will keep practicing and learning. Thanks for the comment!:D:D

Thank you Vazago! Your comment made this whole adventure worth it for me!!! Huge smile on my face!!! I hope you get your paints out and try something. The worst thing that can happen is that you have a little mess to clean up. It's a lot of fun and I kept telling myself to pretend it was AR. When I did that and relaxed... the result was much better. Thanks for the awesome comment!:D:D

Thanks Albert! Glad this thread was of some interest to you! I was hoping some would find it of interest and realize yet another use for Artrage. This program never ceases to amaze me!!!:D:D

Thank you Evart! Yes, my old dog enjoys any activity that allows her to sleep! :D:D

Sketchism71
03-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Designed in AR. Reproduced in Acrylic on canvas 16 x 20. This ended up a little fiery but I was fairly pleased with the end result. I was after something dynamic and explosive in a loose style. Thanks for checking it out!:)

Sketchism71
03-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Done on Canvas

shechat
03-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Thank you so much for this great thread Eddie, you are an inspiration.

Caesar
03-12-2010, 11:25 PM
What a masterpiece You painted here, dear Sketch! :eek::cool::):):):):)

alkratzer
03-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Great job on the AR to acrylic translation Ed! This whole thread is a valuable gem in the treasure of this forum! Al

Alan
03-13-2010, 04:53 AM
WOW @ Tuscany Storm on real canvas :eek:

These are superb Sketch!!!

coops
03-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Thats a superb work of art Sketch. I colours are wonderful, can almost feel the heat in this one. Love it:)

byroncallas
03-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Eddie - most terrific - especially seeing you work in a looser style. My personal opinion, I like the acrylic painted one best - the contrasts and explosive energy in it are very inviting. Superb translation where the translation transcends your source. But then, I guess that's the way it should be. It would be interesting to now do a reverse translation - use the real media version as your reference and do a new AR version. It would be interesting to compare the first AR version with the second. It's great how both media (digital and "real") can serve each other. You are illustrating that beautifully. :D:D

Repeating myself, and echoing others - I love this thread.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Lima
03-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Dear Eddie, I think this work is a real breakthrough in the use of the program AR3. It shows how pleasant the two technologies can serve the same purpose, and how they can be complementary. I'm fascinated by the study of actual real colors, and how they can possibly correlate with the digital colors.

This type of exercise, the study of colors, has been for me a great entertainment that keeps me focused on emerging situations, where I'll know by heart the names of the colors, their characteristics, how they mix and how they correlate with the inks in the real world.

Great work Eddie. I'm sitting here in the front row, and attentive, waiting for the spectacular development of this initiative.:eek::cool::)

screenpainter
01-03-2011, 06:54 AM
Tuscany Storm is brilliant. What a beautiful piece. I had not seen it. That is definitely gallery worthy! What a great use for art rage.