PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose which one

alkratzer
02-28-2010, 03:19 AM
I posted a version of this (with the black background) a few days ago, but I've been looking at the painting with the background used in the underpainting and I'm stuck on which is better. Any thoughts from the AR tribe? Thanks! Al

Alexandra
02-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Oh wow Al! These are wonderful. I like the bottom one the best as it offers more of a contrast and the performer is more distinct. It also give me the idea that the background lines are the music flowing all around the performer.:)

hinket
02-28-2010, 09:27 AM
:), I thought exactly the same as what Alexandra said. :cool::D

AT-TA
02-28-2010, 10:48 AM
I am very undecided... from the estetic point of view... i like the first one better... from the communicative point of view the second one is suitable ... so .. sorry couldn't be helpful more...

foxytocin
02-28-2010, 11:15 AM
I like them both, although I'm drawn to the top one because it reminds me strongly of the large-scale 20th century muralists.

LPBaker
02-28-2010, 12:40 PM
To me, the top one says "carnival" and the bottom one says "nightlife". I personally prefer the bottom one but it's a close race!

ScottF
02-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I canīt which one is better. They both work well, but seem to do different things. I like the first one posted here better, but then. . . . Okay, so I wasnīt much help. :cool:

Valerie
02-28-2010, 03:06 PM
I like the bottom one.

justjean
02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
they both look great but the second gives me more of a feel of those high notes just floating around :D

jibes
02-28-2010, 07:46 PM
I do like 'em both! But since you asked:
If I went with no1 then I might make the BG less busy and maybe make the colored shapes bigger and more subtle. No.2 works well because though the BG is still busy it carries less weight and so does not distract much at all.
One other way to do the BG like no.1 would be to find the two most dominant colors in the figure and make their complements the most dominant in the BG.

jibes
02-28-2010, 07:52 PM
One more thing.
I like your style. How do you determine where the borders of the colors will be? Is there a plan or is it just appeal of what feels right along with correct color choices?

Dany51
03-01-2010, 04:27 AM
Hi Al,
I like your two images , perhaps the second one seems to me more finished.

As I had a little time I tried to see myself what I would like,
pleas consider that what I did was only in purpose to see better for me and
that belongs to you the result,
feel free to consider my suggestions and make your choice and transform as you like it .

I first changed the color of the background for the first image,from black to white in order to use the both images in ArtRage.

Then I open The first image (white background) and import to layer
the second one,
after that I tried to see the different blendings and I liked the result
from two of them.(tint and shadow)

Now if you like one of the results you just do the same with your original painting or you also can try other kind of mixing but I think that
the idea of using the two images when you are in doubt for either of them is a good one. what do you think ?
PS: I think that perhaps is better to show the two results...

Belvrog
03-01-2010, 06:53 AM
I prefer the second one too for the same reasons as Alexandra already stated. Really cool painting with a nice style. :)

Evart
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
I like the second one. The dark background seem to thrust the trumpeter to the front. Nice job!

Lima
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I prefer the second one too for the same reasons as Alexandra already stated. Really cool painting with a nice style. :)
That's my choice too.

D Akey
03-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Depends on what you want to do with them. Honest. Not a dodge.

They each have their strengths.

The problem as I see it with the black background one is that it doesn't match the figure treatment. The figure looks a little cut out as opposed to being part of the environment. So could that work in certain contexts? Sure.

The top one might work better with a variety of size perhaps of the color splotches if that suits your vision. Giving an area to breathe is not a bad thing. But it's a matter of style I suppose. I can see that as being repetitive music like Back or even Phillip Glass. But if so much is handled the same, it sorta merges it all. If you choose to do that, then you could play around with that visual idea.

Lots of directions to go. Lots of fun when you're off in your own space. Surprises galore.

Keep going! Great stuff. :):):):):)

Edit: I only just saw the last two. Very cool variation on a theme, maestro.

alkratzer
03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Sandra -- Thanks voting. The lines in this version are meant to be the trumpeter pulling the lines he is playing out of the infinite possibilities available at any given moment in the music.

Hin -- I appreciate your time to look and vote. Thanks!

AT-TA -- Sounds like you are where I am. I like the texture of the first, and it suggests to me that the division between the player's creative energy and its manifestation in the atmosphere around him in his playing is barely a division at all. Thanks.

Leah -- Your right, there is something textural about that background that might look good painted on stucco.

LPBaker (is your screen name an old school way of saying CDBurner? :)) I agree they do have different moods. The bottom feels more urban somehow.

Scott -- Thanks for playing, even if you can't decide!

Val -- Thanks for the vote!

JustJean -- You're right. The bottom is a more overt depiction of the notes. Thanks

Jibes -- Thanks for the suggestions and the comments. I'm posting one more version in reaction to suggestions like yours. There is a pretty thought out idea about where I divide the colors. There' a couple of tutorials in the tips and tricks section that explain a lot of my thinking. One is called Al Kratzer's color paintings and the other is a thread called " some thoughts on color." In the end, no amount of pre-planning overrides making some on the spot reactions as you are putting colors next to one another and seeing what happens.

Dany -- I have to give you a HUGE thanks for taking so much time to help and offer some outstanding suggestions and illustrations. I like some of the things happening in your examples, and I think I'll bring everything into photoshop and explore some layer blends from your prompting. Thanks again!

Belvrog -- Thanks for checking it out and commenting! I appreciate the compliment!

Evart -- based on your comment and some others I've put together this one last version. The background is darker behind the trumpeter to make him "Pop" (visually, not Top 40:)) In this version, the trumpet sound is depicted as a light coming from the bell. Thank you for being so helpful, as you always are!

Alexandra
03-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Al, I know you didn't ask...but I like this one the best.:D

Dany51
03-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Al, you are welcome, I was a little bit worried about your opinion,
it didn't take much time, only few minutes, you did the work!
I was using Photo Filtre for changing the color and Art Rage for the blending,
I find it very easy to use for that.

I like very much your last version with this background who can evoke the sound of the trumpet, is very clean and clear .:)

Evart
03-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks Al, I like compliments like that :D This looks awesome. I could see this in an online gallery, framed and up for sale.

Caesar
03-02-2010, 03:21 AM
I've a preference for the second one, I'd say.