PDA

View Full Version : My '53 Hudson

L Skylar Brown
02-26-2010, 08:51 AM
This is my 1953 Blue Hudson Wasp. I bought it back in '68. I drove it for 2 weeks thinking the radio didn't work before I realized it was a vacuum tube instrument that had to warm up before it worked. Other than maintainance, I have only had to change out the upholstery on the front seat. This is the original color paint & trim. Her name is Winnifred. She has a flat head Straight 8, and Dynaflow transmission. There is a tube going from the spare in the trunk to a valve emerging just under the back bumper so you can check the pressure without having to dig it out from the trunk. The antenna is in the middle of the front window, and swivels down to align with the center post of the divided windshield. She drives like a Caddy.
This was all done with AirBrush. Not photo manip'd.

D Akey
02-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Gorgeous and stylish. Hope nobody opens their car doors into it. Probably takes up the better part of a parking space. As I recall they were big. Of course I was little at the time, so my sense of proportion is a little shaded by my then diminutive scale.

How do you use unleaded in that?

Really nice all around.

Peter Pinckney
02-26-2010, 11:14 AM
My little boy Pierre said immedately........."It's Doc........the Hudson Hornet.......but why is he a different colour Daddy?"

You lucky devil!!

Alexandra
02-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Fantastic car Skylar. Wonderfully painted.:)

Valerie
02-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Well I remember these cars and this is a beauty, and a terrific painting Skylar

FireFytingNut
02-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Holy shnikey!! Great great job on this Skylar! I'm amazed at how great this looks being airbrushed! It doesn't have too much of the blur effect going on that I see in a lot of air brushed paintings. I love it! That's SOO neat that you've had the car all this time! What a lucky girl ;)

jibes
02-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Great painting of a great car! They don't make like they used to and I am glad but it would be fantastic to have this car anyway.

Bobbi
02-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Boy, does this evoke memories. When I was young and learning to drive, a Hudson was one of the cars I learned on. We had two of them, one was a four door sedan, a 52 I believe and my stepfather had one that had leopard design seat covers and a red shiny steering wheel. They were behemoths, at least they seemed like it to me. :D

FireFytingNut
02-26-2010, 12:37 PM
I guess it must be the fact that I was born in 73 or something. I have actually never heard of these cars. It looks familiar though. Just out of wild curiosity, would this be the same type of car that was driven in Karate Kid? When "Daniel" got the convertible car for his birthday? It seems similar, although I haven't seen the movie in a long time. I really love cars but I'm not real clued in on older models too well. I used to have a 69 Mustang that my dad refurbished and it's sitting down in Arizona with him.

The older model cars had the neatest little features that you just don't see in today's cars. Kind of like what Skylar was talking about with the air pressure check and the stereo. In the 69 mustang, the little triangular windows each had their own roller to roll them down and instead of flipping a switch to occasionally use the windshield wipers, you pressed a little button with your left foot and used them. I'm sure other models and types probably had those same type of features but I always thought those little elements were so neat! Just unique ya know? :)

Peter Pinckney
02-26-2010, 12:50 PM
"The older model cars had the neatest little features that you just don't see in today's cars. Kind of like what Skylar was talking about with the air pressure check and the stereo. In the 69 mustang, the little triangular windows each had their own roller to roll them down and instead of flipping a switch to occasionally use the windshield wipers, you pressed a little button with your left foot and used them. I'm sure other models and types probably had those same type of features but I always thought those little elements were so neat! Just unique ya know? :)"

Sorry to shorten your name FFN :)
Nowadays we've got ELECTRONIXXXX!Brakes and Steering that fail! Whooo! Just read the news about Toyota (and others)

I've got and old car with one piece of ELECTRONIX! The clock! If it fails....I look at my watch! HEY! The car still goes!!!

I had a recent model (diesel) all the rage here in France 'cos the fuel's cheaper...and the diesel fuel pump's electronic unit failed......OOOOOOOOO....car don't go......it's a thing no bigger than a pack of cigarettes and it stopped the car dead in it's tracks! Cost? Around
$3000........my other ,older car has a diesel pump too....if that fail's I'm looking at an enormous bill of....$400!

I LOVE OLD CARS!!!!

FireFytingNut
02-26-2010, 12:53 PM
OH my word Peter!!! That's insane!! That's like those newer cars where if the headlight goes out, you pay $900 just to replace it. It's pure insanity! Unbelievable!

OOO and no worries on my name Peter! Not sure how many people will view this but if you all happen to read this (until I get a signature together), you're more than welcome to call me "T". That's what everyone calls me, even in real life. So please feel free to call me T. Ya can't get much shorter and more simple than that! LOL

L Skylar Brown
02-26-2010, 12:54 PM
DAkey - Other than high performance sparkplugs, and adjusting the carburator(1), I haven't modified her at all. There is a little pinging when I floorboard it, but there is more than enough power to enter a freeway, for instance.
Peter - I was thrilled when I saw a Hudson animated. That was when I first thought of painting the car. A friend of mine has a Burgundy and black convertible that looks a lot more like that one.
Sandy, Val - I think old cars are probably more interesting to us old guys, but thanks!

Tonyjazz
02-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Great out of focus BG to accentuate the car, your sig on the license adds a very personal touch. Well done..................TJ

Alexandra
02-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Skylar, I just don't understand why you all keep saying old guys! I just don't see it.:confused::o:D

Jasminek
02-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Very nice painting.:)

Dany51
02-26-2010, 04:20 PM
The background looks done in watercolor, very nice landscape in this picture,
I can't say anything about the car as I don't know much about, I like the color and how you put the signature in front of it .:)

L Skylar Brown
02-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks Sandy, but remember I'm retired - that means Over 65! I think I can say with authority that I am Old! LOL See all that grey amongst that blonde?! What was that Country song? Silver threads among the gold!!!

L Skylar Brown
02-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Jas - Thank you very much!
Dany - The whole thing was done with various Airbrush settings. But, I agree, it does resemble some of the wc effects. Thanks!

LPBaker
02-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Great painting, the detail is terrific :)

L Skylar Brown
02-27-2010, 02:35 AM
LPB - Thanks so much!

Caesar
02-27-2010, 06:51 AM
A very well painted vintage car!

ScottF
02-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Great painting! IŽd forgotten all about the Hudson. The first family car that I can remember was a maroon (I called it red) Hudson Hornet. 1952, I believe.

L Skylar Brown
02-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Caesar - Thanks so much!
Scott - I think we had a Burgundy car, too, but I'm pretty sure it was a ford. I loved that color, tho.

foxytocin
02-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Makes me want to go for a drive! This picture is much more about the car...it really does make you think of places to visit with it....

L Skylar Brown
02-27-2010, 12:54 PM
It's really comfortable to travel in. It has a "Tunable" climate control and a dash mounted lever to set the gas padal - sort of a precursor to cruise control.

mannafig
02-27-2010, 09:28 PM
A gorgeous old car Sky.:):)

L Skylar Brown
02-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks Amana - I really love the old bucket!

justjean
02-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Don't know anything about cars other than were the key goes but this is sure a pretty one and a wonderful painting :D

Belvrog
03-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Fantastic painting Skylar. Congrats on the painting AND the car. I hope you have a red carpet in your garage.:D

Evart
03-01-2010, 10:25 AM
My hobby is collecting die-cast vintage cars, and I really love this painting!

L Skylar Brown
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Jean, Bel, Evelyn- Thanks so much! I don't have a red carpet under the car, but she does have an old Oriental rug, is that good enough?!

kenmo
03-02-2010, 04:31 AM
My Dad had a Hudson in the early 1940's...He still fonldy speaks of it...

I remember the famed Hudson Hornets of the 1950's...

I too am a car buff and presently own a 1960 Corvette since 1983...Love your painting...

Cheers

Ken

L Skylar Brown
03-02-2010, 07:36 AM
It's my turn for envy - I have a vintage Vette on my wish list! Thanks for commenting.

jonwood
03-02-2010, 09:21 AM
this is really great..love it..

L Skylar Brown
03-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Jon - Thanks so much!!

Lima
03-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Syklar, this is a very nice painting. The colors are just so beautiful. Congratulations.

L Skylar Brown
03-03-2010, 03:45 AM
Oriane - Thank you so much, Kind Sir!

Sketchism71
03-03-2010, 04:46 AM
Excellent painting LSB! Cool car. I had a 1955 Ford Pick-up truck growing up about the same color as this. My parents sold it before I was old enough to tell them not to. I wish we still had it! Great painting!!!

L Skylar Brown
03-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Sketch - I know I have a lot of nostalgia with this, but it seems I'm not alone! Thanks!