PDA

View Full Version : Urban Design Sketches

mbastian
02-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Hello everyone;

These are a couple of sketches I have created using ArtRage, with a little post-processing on Photoshop to 'tone down' the colors and add a few other small details.

My goal was to replicate as closely as possible the look of traditional media, (color markers on vellum in this case). The linework was done using Artrage's ink pen, and the coloring was done with the 'felt pen' tool with a lot of blending and layering.

A small Wacom Intuos tablet is my weapon of choice while I muster up the courage to spend 1800 bucks on a Cintiq monitor.:rolleyes:

Cheers;
Marcos.
Orlando, FL.

byroncallas
02-22-2010, 05:23 PM
These are REALLY cool. Terrific work. It would be fun to watch you assembling this kind of thing.

Depending on your efforts, and your layering, you might find the Adjust Layers Color feature reached through the edit menu does a good job making some of these types of color adjustments without having to leave the software. It's nice to be able to stay in the same software when it works well. I'd be curios to how well it works for the kind of adjustments you are making.

Again, your work here is cool stuff - I like it bunches. :)

Meanwhile, here's wishing your courage for that new $1800 dream machine. :D

mbastian
02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks Byron!

As much as I am loving to work with AR, I was a "little" disappointed with the fact that it seems to take a lot of processing time to complete most layer operations (color adjustments, shuffling, transformations, etc...) Most of the time Photoshop does the same work much faster.:confused:

However I don't really mind swapping between both programs, since AR handles the import/export so well.

What is truly exciting about Artrage is the color blending behavior, which feels just like the real thing. I am really enjoying that.

Best;
Marcos

jibes
02-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Excellent sketches. Very detailed delineation. :)

byroncallas
02-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks Marcos.

Yes, the algorithms required to create the "real media" look of many of the paint tools in AR unfortunately consume a lot of resources. I know they are trying to find solutions, fighting the good fight to get there, but I understand it's a bear. I, for one, sure wish them well with it.

Meanwhile, again, I really like your work and hope you'll post a lot more. :)

Eileen724
02-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Both of your pieces are just wonderful and so delightful, Marcos! That is a LOT of line drawing and coloring for one painting, that's for sure. I love your technique with the blending as well as the great shadows you projected with the trees on that first one. You've done an excellent job overall and should be proud!

mbastian
02-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Both of your pieces are just wonderful and so delightful, Marcos! That is a LOT of line drawing and coloring for one painting, that's for sure. I love your technique with the blending as well as the great shadows you projected with the trees on that first one. You've done an excellent job overall and should be proud!

Thanks, Eileen!

Well you know, I'm no Hanz but we all do the best we can with whatever talent is given to us...;)

The sketch with shadows was my second attempt with AR, and since it was somewhat simpler, I decided to add the shadows in Photoshop as a final touch. It did make a difference in the overall result, so I will try that again next time.

Cheers;
Marcos

Juz
02-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Amazing architectual renderings. Love that everything is green space and low rise too. :):)
I adore the artrage markers, more than any other application they feel the most like the old yokens i used to use (minus the toxicity) :):)

coops
02-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Wow such detail in these, well done:)

paul_uk7
02-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Amazing work, I really like it.

uuderzo
02-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Marcos, that's stunning work! Do you mean that you drawn all by hand without any kind of 3D tool?

You are the perspective man! :)

mannafig
02-22-2010, 10:44 PM
The detail on this is amazing:):)

Caesar
02-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Use of Artrage for architectural drawing is quite unusual, but the effect is quite impressive and pleasant!:cool::):):)
Congratulations also for the precise perspective construction You had to make! :eek:

Weeks
02-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Excellent.... :):)

I like these very much,

Best,

Weeks

flyashy
02-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Wow, that's great!!
Executed with great precision! at first glance I thought it was all sketchup!!
Wonderful!

Alexandra
02-23-2010, 02:01 AM
Amazing detail, wonderful to view!:)

mbastian
02-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Marcos, that's stunning work! Do you mean that you drawn all by hand without any kind of 3D tool?

You are the perspective man! :)

Uurerzo (and all):

My apologies; I didn't mean to be misleading. These were indeed based on SketchUp massing models, so I am NOT the 'king of perspectives' at all...

Both sketches started from actual plans drafted by hand and/or CAD, then imported on SketchUp to add building masses, trees, architectural detail. etc... ArtRage is only the last step in the whole process.

Computer models are great, but most times the softness of hand renderings just 'feels better' and allows me to better tell the story behind each project. So I often use SketchUp, either by itself or as a basis for further rendering work.

However the way I used to do this before ArtRage was to print out a perspective and then use vellum to trace all the linework, coloring with Markers through the backside to avoid blurring of the black pen.

ArtRage has allowed me to bypass the whole hand-coloring and scanning process, keeping it all on the computer, while still replicating the hand-sketch look and feel.

Below is an image showing the base Sketchup model and the traced linework, before any coloring. You can also see the original color plan that was used as a base for the modeling work.

Thanks everyone for the nice words and encouragement, and please let me know if you need any additional information about these.

Best;
Marcos
PS: For those who are interested, my site is www bstn.net

uuderzo
02-23-2010, 04:54 AM
Woah! For a moment I feared you were some kind of sci-fi drawing creature! Glad to know you're human being :D

Said that, your work is really pleasant to look at. Great!