PDA

View Full Version : Winters Afternoon

Sketchism71
02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
This started off in the WIP section as a tribute to Andrew Wyeth but insisted on becoming its own thing.

Evart
02-21-2010, 02:38 PM
nice, very nice!

barnburner
02-21-2010, 03:52 PM
That, is nothing short of fantastic!
Great stuff!!!

D Akey
02-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Aaaawwwww hell yeeeaaaahhhh! <ahem> Still have Baby's Got Back going through my head from another thread. Looks like she could fit that back that she's got into that really super Maine stream Wyeth style of the richly painted textured leather chair. Pardon my bling, but if she's wearing corduroy shorts with leather patches on her sweatery elbows, hip hoppin' in that leathery chair it might could sound like a DJ playin' on the turntable. . . but I digress. . .

Meanwhile back at this great painting (the other back as in to hearken back). . .

This is masterful. It really gets that plain, uncluttered lifestyle. It's filled with voice. And the parallel between the dog and the chair is brilliant. They seem as if bred from the same lifestyle. Old, worn, craggy and comfortable. The only thing I see as a deviance is that sort of modern illustrative fast strokes on the window. He might have done that kind of thing, but I don't recall it.

It's like you snapped out of the consciousness of "it's a long winter, so what's the hurry" to there's a deadline, and it gets conscious of it being a painting. Psychologically or subliminally, it says I'm looking at the studs in that wall, implying a lack of old school time and care in favor of a quicker turn around to sell it. Clearly that's nothing more than a perception that's not real because you could have finished it just as quickly with a Wyeth look. But maybe you weren't after that close a style homage. As if in answer to the political sounding question: Who put the Sketch in the Wyeth house?

Anyway, brilliant!!!!! Really great. :):):):):)

Jasminek
02-21-2010, 04:07 PM
The chair looks very soft and the dog looks very happy!:) Surprise me that the dog is not in the chair:D

Valerie
02-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Wow I love it, and the dog looks fabulous. Well done Sketchism

L Skylar Brown
02-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Sketch - Paintings are sometimes like children - You point them in the direction you want them to go, and then they head off by themselves, with you catching up.
This is so awesome. I really like it!

mwilneff
02-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Excellent work.Lots of mood in this work.Love it.Well done.
Marty

jibes
02-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Excellent pic!!!

Juz
02-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Stunning.:):eek::) Feel a bit like that myself at this stage of the winter lol :D

Eileen724
02-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I had seen your thread in the WIP section and couldn't wait to see the completed work. I was in awe then and if it is at all possible, I am in even more awe than before! WOW! This is such a fine piece and so very well done, Sketch. Your talent rivals the best of them. I love Wyeth's work, too, and I can see his style in your painting with that special touch of "Sketch" to make it a complete masterpiece. Print this, frame this and put it on your wall!

byroncallas
02-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Most terrific Eddie. I think DA has said it all pretty well. It's a fine work - evocative as all get-out. :):):):):)

elfme
02-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Excellent piece. I love it. Thanks for sharing.

flyashy
02-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Hey Sketch,
wow you mastered the master :) Great job, & I love the light quality throughout the painting, all that radiosity is quite amazing!

coops
02-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Stunning piece of artwork Sketch, a beautiful painting:)

sabena
02-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Hi Sketchism
With this painting you are a great artist,and your tribute for Wyeth is also great. Wonderful painting:rolleyes::)

alkratzer
02-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Sketch -- everyone works on creating pieces that make others FEEL something. (And there are a lot of methods, styles and approaches seen on this forum to that end)

This one makes me feel the comfort of things that are simple and familiar -- the old dog, the soft chair, the calm colors and natural textures. I want to come in after a hard day of fighting traffic on the New Jersey Turnpike and sit down and unwind. Thanks for giving me an image that allows me this -- even if the reality is that when I come home the only comfy chair has been monopolized by my son and my wife has a list of things for me to do before dinner that prevents me from sitting down anyway!

ARTGEEK
02-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Wow!!!! Excellent work Sketch!!!!!!

Lima
02-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Sketch your artistic ability and your sense of what is beautiful has resulted in a beautiful and wonderful painting. A perfect combination of color and light. Congratulations.

Alexandra
02-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Eddie, this is incredible! Totally in love with this painting!:):):):):):):):):):):)

Sketchism71
02-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Thank you Evart!:):)
Thank you Barnburner for the great comment!:):D
Thanks DAkey! HaHaHaHa! Since my dog's name is Bailey I guess the song would go "Baileys got Back"!!! Your observations on this are once again incredibly accurate! I quickly found out (the hard way) that there is much more to Wyeth than the brush work seen in his images. Subject, light, and composition all molded together in a Wyeth way that as a whole would take years of study on color and light to achieve. About 1/4 of the way into this I felt I either needed to abandon it and re-work something new or finish this as a painting of my old dog and my favorite reading chair! Not to say I'm disappointed in the overall finished product of this, I just wouldn't call it tribute to his style of work. I guess I was a bit anxious to finish this and move on to the next project which probably gave the "finish it by a deadline" feel you picked up on! Thank you for the excellent comment!:D:D
Thank you Jasminek! Trust me, she usually is in that chair!:):D
Thank you Valerie!:):)
Thank you LSB! I totally agree with you on that observation, the trick is to let it go and not fight it...That is the hard part!:D:D
Thank you Marty for the comment!:):)
Thanks Juz! Yes, I am totally ready for Spring!:D:D
Thank you Eileen! Have you recieved this months payment from me for the job I hired you for on giving me great comments? You are doing an excellent job and I think you deserve a raise!:D:D
Byron, thank you, as always for the great comment!:):)
My pleasure Elfme! Thank you!:D:)
Thanks Fly! Far from a master at anything, I'm just a kitchen table scribbler! I have a lot of studying to do to get some of the light effects he achieves. The light, and background in this was imaginary (Bailey and the chair from photo reference - structure only). It is a difficult thing to imagine how light (from different sources) will effect the objects in an image. A lifetime could be spent on the complexities of color and light alone!!!:D:D
Thank you Coops for the wonderful comment!:):)
Thank you Sabena! I always enjoy a comment from you!:D:)
Thank you VERY much Al! That is all an artist can ask for (in my opinion). The fact that the image evoked a feeling or an emotion in a personal way makes this a success (to me)! Thank you!:D:D
Thank you ARTGEEK for checking it out!:):)

Sketchism71
02-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Thank you Oriane! And thank you again for your help on the blending issue in the WIP section! Very helpful!:):)

Thank you Sandra! I'm rather fond of this one as well. More on a personal level for me than an artistic level. Thank you!!:D:D

ENCHANTER
02-22-2010, 09:30 AM
i love this realism.excellent:D

Andrea
02-22-2010, 09:49 AM
That's truly beautiful! Andrew Wyeth created some impressive art, thanks for remembering me about him :)

Caesar
02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
You hit the target, dear Sketch! I've been reviewing Wyeth's works recently and I find You was able to catch his flavour here!

hinket
02-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Now I'm not sure which is my favourite painting of yours, Sketchism, the Cougar, relaxed but fully aware, or the dog, so relaxed she's asleep, because she feels totally safe.

Ahh! they're both my favourites! :D:D:D

Very impressive.

SCP
02-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Wow Eddie you go from strength to strength,very nicely done!:):):):)

RosyCallas
02-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Dear Eddie, I really really love this painting - it's just so beautiful and peaceful. And I REALLY love what you did incorporating Byron's gloopy in it in his thread. That was so sweet of you. He was really tickled by it, and me too. :):):)

mannafig
02-22-2010, 10:34 PM
AWWWW A lovely image I looked at this in WIP and thought it was looking great then but this is just perfect:):)

Weeks
02-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Hee I like the dog... :)

Very cool...

Best,

Weeks

foxytocin
02-23-2010, 03:39 AM
Love the look of this.......it does indeed have a quality of stillness that I associate with Wyeth.

calico
02-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Fantastic Sketch! I just want to put my slippers on and cozy up in that chair with and old dog at my feet! Love, love, love the feel this painting has with the window light! Probably my favorite so far...

your sis,
C

AT-TA
02-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Oh my, Skech, Andrew would be so proud of you...very nice, comfy pictures and the dog as a center of the story is so lovely, one wants to touch him..nice coat and the chair also gorgeous... congratulation to this beautiful work....

Rob in Denver
02-23-2010, 07:30 PM
A kitchen table doodler indeed!! Each element is a phenomenon, just the texture on the walls alone as far as I am concerned. You hit it out of the park with this one, it seems to have resonated in a universal way, and I think part of that is the simple room- just a dog, and a chair,--and I think lots of people crave that simplicity. But the result of your painting goes far beyond that somehow. Nice work!

RobertSWade
02-23-2010, 08:09 PM
As an owner of both multiple dogs and comfy chairs I can say that this speaks to all of that. It is the dog that has the strongest voice here saying, "I'm completely comfortable in the knowledge that I'm both the protector and the protected.
The details are nicely done but it's the atmosphere that really dominates: You just know that despite his languished state he'll rip your leg off if you try to trespass on his owner's domain.

LPBaker
02-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Wow, fantastic painting!

Sketchism71
02-24-2010, 05:43 AM
Thanks a bunch for the comment Enchanter!:):)
Thanks Andrea for the comment! I'm waiting for your PDF tutorial like a child waiting for Christmas morning!:D:D
Thank you Caesar... I am going to work on more techniques with texture and perhaps try another in the future. I hope to find a recipe with the brush and knife that can be consistent to his work. Thanks for checking it out!:D:D
Thank you hinket! Yes, the lion and the dog, much more time spent on the lion but I think the dog is just as effective. Two different styles and I'm glad you like them both!;):)
Thanks a bunch Scott for the comment! Because of artists like you and others on here, I have the opportunity to learn so much and I try to put it to use. Thank you!:):D
Thank you Rosy! Great to see a comment from you... Really made my day! Yes, that wall in the background on this was screaming for some nice color and design. I know people in the underground black-market of digital art that got me a really good deal on an original Byron Callas.;):D:D
Thank you so much mannafig! Sometimes my WIP images never make it here and I was doubtful with this one at certain times. Thanks for checking it out!:):)
Thanks Weeks! Glad you liked the dog! I would of loved to of had some of your knowledge on texture while doing this one... Your work is mind-blowing!:D:D
Thank you foxy for the wonderful comment! It does have a very quiet feel about it... Nothing like my house in real life...lol!!!:):)
Thanks Sis!! Thanks for stoppin by. You are in luck... Don't you guy's have the same type of chair? I know you have the same type of dog...lol!:D:D
Thanks AT-TA... Hahaha! I think Andrew would probably pat me on the back and whisper in my ear... "keep practicing". Thanks for the comment AT-TA!:):)
Thanks Rob! I think you're right. People do seem to crave simplicity. Perhaps our lives have become so busy and cluttered that images like this give us a tiny reprieve from all of it. Thanks for the great comment!:D:D
I have seen your comfy chair Robert (in the finished and printed thread) I like your taste of comfort! Thanks for the great comment!;):D
Thanks for the comment and for checking it out LPBaker!:):)

Peter Pinckney
02-24-2010, 06:03 AM
It's a pity there's no smiley for "jaw on the floor"

STUNNING Sketch!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

kev2grey
02-24-2010, 06:04 AM
love this painting, a true master piece:)

lolalot
02-24-2010, 07:33 AM
*Lazy.... I feel so frustrated....*

I can just imagine this being on a Sunday afternoon. Nice work! :o

Belvrog
02-24-2010, 08:22 AM
That's an absolutely stunning painting Eddie. So well done. Looking at it, it's as if time stands still. It has a fantastic mood, I love how it provokes thoughts and emotions. Wonderful tribute.