PDA

View Full Version : The Japanese Pot

Alexandra
02-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Have you ever had a time where you were forced to think about something that was difficult to face?
This morning was that morning for me. I was taking a break from working on my broken plumbing under the sink. It seems as if everything is going wrong. I wanted to draw to relax. I looked at this pot that my sister gave me years ago that I loved so much. I drew it and used watercolor, and knife, a bit of pencil and pen. When I finished it looked as if I painted a photo to me. I was quite amazed at the versatility of the knife and the watercolor brushes. The pot on my desk here has more of a matt finish and that is what appealed to me most, but I didn't know how to get that with my painting.
Hope you like it too.:o:)

Today:
I wanted to add this one today that I painted this morning using 7% metalic on the airbrush and the watercolor low liquid. I ended up changing the pot a little, but still I am pleased with the effect. Thanks Cesare for your help.:)

mannafig
02-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Dearest Sandra I love it you have done a marvellous job on this one:):)

Alexandra
02-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Many thanks Amanda!:)

PICASO41
02-20-2010, 02:28 AM
Sandra

Wonderful :)

I love the deep blues in contrast with the light blues and grays.
Very cool technique.

Mike :)

Valerie
02-20-2010, 02:37 AM
Sandra I love this, and the colors blue is my favorite color and the gray all look great together. Beautiful painting.

Alexandra
02-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Mike, Thanks so much. You know it was an oatmeal color on the bottom, and the more I tried to paint it, it took on an iridescent hue, so I had to leave it alone. I hope the terra cotta color in the background is not too much. It is a blast using layers, isn't it?:)

Valerie, Thanks so much. I had always admired the little pot and was thrilled when she gave it to me. I have had it for twenty three years now. She purchased it in Japan when she was a young woman. I love pottery, and have two favorite pieces. I will paint the other one now that I see what the watercolor brushes will do! :)

FireFytingNut
02-20-2010, 03:40 AM
Awww Alexandra!! ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))) I am sorry to hear things are going rough for you at the moment.

I am learning that it is such a relief to sit down and just work on some art for a while when things get rough and I'm so glad that you did!! I love it!! Looks like a beautiful pot and the sentimental aspect is so cool! Great job!

Caesar
02-20-2010, 03:46 AM
Wonderful time-out painting, dear Sandra!
As for Your question You posed, there are at least three possible approaches You may test (the simplest ones perhaps, without making recourse to particular sheets or stickers).

try with enough metal content;
try with either the roller at adequate pressure and thinned enough or very low pressure chalk on the painting and a low presure smoothin with either the first or the last blender type (not too much pressure)
use lower loaded watercolour with very short strokes in the right direction (less controllable)Let us know in case...

Alexandra
02-20-2010, 06:11 AM
FFN, Thanks so much for your sweet compliment. It does help to have an outlet or two.:D

Cesare, I can't wait to try with your suggestions. Thank you so much. I didn't think about the canvas being a little metal. I used the plain canvas. I have to run out a bit, but tonight I am looking forward to trying this. I will also take a photo of the little pot. :)

Caesar
02-20-2010, 06:41 AM
You may also use the metal percentage on the paint too ...

D Akey
02-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Have you ever had a time where you were forced to think about something that was difficult to face?
This morning was that morning for me. I was taking a break from working on my broken plumbing under the sink. It seems as if everything is going wrong. I wanted to draw to relax. . .
Hope you like it too.:o:)

Yes indeed. Constantly. Historically for me it's been related to plumbing. :):D

I love your use of metaphor as you moved into focusing your attention on a simple Japanese clay pot. Such focused activity, like painting, can have a real centering quality. And if nothing else, it gives one a breather in the full meaning of the word. Hang in dear Alexandra.

Beautiful painting.

SCP
02-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Wonderful work Sandra,it's amazing what you can do when you need to block out stuff.Well done and keep painting.;):)

Alexandra
02-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Will do Cesare, thank you dear friend!:)

Rose, Thank you, you are so right. When we worry about things, it is when we fail.:)

D-Akey, Thank you , and I will hang in there you dear heart!:)

Scott, Many thanks, you are so right too, painting keeps also helps me figure out things.:)

Evart
02-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Nice looking pot Sandy :D

Alexandra
02-21-2010, 04:26 AM
Thanks so much Evelyn, I really appreciate your kind comments and encouragement.:):):):):):)

Caesar
02-21-2010, 08:01 AM
I'd say You got the effect, dearest Sandra.
Now, if You only have a picture where the pot texture is evident enough, that is with a somehow grazing light rays, I might make a test among the different options and see which is the best fitting one (else I might make three samples and have You select which one seems to be texturally more alike).

jibes
02-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Very good job on your fav pot! I like the addition of the background. Most excellent.

Alexandra
02-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Dear Cesare, I will take a digital this weekend. I will be embarrassed because it is not the same shape exactly. But the colors are similar enough. Thanks a bunch for checking again. I may have to move some of this into the other section-hate to hog the wrong area.:o:)

Neal, Many thanks, I appreciate your kind comment!:)

Dany51
02-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I like the Japanese pottery, very smooth, pure lines and a matte tonalities.

Very good finish for this one .

Alexandra
02-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks so much Daniella.:):):):):)