PDA

View Full Version : Your First Digital Art

alkratzer
02-09-2010, 02:32 PM
I posted my first digital painting seen here in the Gallery section and some people agreed that starting a "First Digital Art" thread might be fun. Part of the intrigue for me is what software/hardware you were using. ArtRage and a few other modern painting programs are light years ahead of some of the tools from the recent past and seeing how far we've come in both tools and skills would be great.

My submission was done in 1995 using an ACECAD plotter and Fauve Matisse software. The ACECAD was 12 x 12 inches, used a serial port had no pressure sensitivity, with a pen that was attached to the board with a cable. Drivers were loaded in DOS and it was an IRQ nightmare to keep it from stepping on the sound or graphics card memory space. At the time it was one of my coolest pieces of hardware.

What blasts from the past can you post? It doesn't have to be the VERY first thing, but something indicative of your earliest explorations.

Al

Juz
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
My first digital works are archived on tape and syquest 40meg cartridges and i no longer have access to caveman hardware for those :):)
They were produced in Aldus Freehand (which was the vector king at the time before adobe had produced a pc version of illustrator), Illustrator 3 (mac only) photoshop 2.1, stratavision 3d (think it was studio pro) macromind director (before macromind became macromedia) and layouts in quarkxpress 3.11 produced on macintosh LC's and quadras (dream computer for graphics at the time) 18 years ago lol :D

Alexandra
02-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Can't wait to get the floppy drive connected and upload my disney graphic-lol. Great idea Al!:)

Alan
02-10-2010, 05:41 AM
I'll spare everyone from my horrendous Microsoft Paint images :D

This was (I think) my first digital image, not counting the ones from Microsoft Paint of course. I've been using Adobe Photoshop since I was 8-9 so I believe this was around that time. Edges are cut since I rotated the image.

I would always open Adobe every morning after breakfast, spend about half an hour mixing and applying filters to this and that and then seeing what came out of it.

I see a skyscape, with floating pathways and hanging moss.

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af140/Cvette_2009/Artwork%20for%20Artrage/Paint6-1.jpg

Ponella
02-15-2010, 02:41 AM
Well, I remember my first MSpaint drawing, but it was actually my brother Matthew teaching me how to use MSpaint by example. I remember when my brother David told me about ArtRage, I never thanked him though :( But when I get AR3 I might let him use it. Anyway, here's something I just drew for the wallace-and-gromit website. It's Gromit in my style! :D

Vazago
03-06-2010, 01:20 PM
This is a character based on a guy I worked with at IBM... His last name was Simpson (and of course we called him Bart) He was definitely a mild mannered sort and we felt he needed an alter ego... This was all for fun... I did this one with a scanned pencil drawing and inked it with ms paint and a mouse... Looking back... I tell ya I love my tablet now!! :)

MJSparks
03-12-2010, 06:27 AM
this was my first digital artwork. i did minor stuff with mouse, but nothing of this caliber and mostly anime collage/wallpaper work because i couldn't get the mouse to move like the pencil and it bugged me. so most of my artwork is on my walls.

glade was done in photoshop and was sparked from a recurring dream. i started it on canvas, but never finished the canvas version.

i got my wacom tablet for christmas and started this, worked on it for a month or so. now that i got ar3 i may revisit it after i finish my castle

(apologies for the lack of grammar and capitalizaiton. i had hand surgery a week ago and typing is somewhat difficult still and can only do so much before it aches. it's easier not to shift. :o )

yortje
03-16-2010, 12:53 AM
This was my first one:
Sharon de Adel, leadsinger of within temptation:

kenmo
03-17-2010, 12:53 AM
My first digital art was a Terragen render and now in hindsight I realize it was quite boring....

alkratzer
04-26-2010, 08:38 AM
I was looking through an old backup cd today and came across this -- my first photo composite -- done in 1995 (Old enough that it was saved as a BMP -- not a JPG)

javier
04-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Este para mi es el primero, no tengo muchos trabajos echos ya que empecé en este mundillo de lo digital hace dos años. Es muy especial porque tambien estrenaba la tableta digital que desconocia por completo.:):)

shechat
04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
This is actually my first ever attempt at digital art. I had just purchased Artrage that day and couldn't wait to try it out.

felixdk
04-29-2010, 12:09 AM
These are from around the same time, 2006.

First Photoshop, "Felixdk Contemplating a Bust of Homer"

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/felixdk/Artwork/fcbh.jpg

and first ArtRage 2, my cat Molly

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/felixdk/TGCAMF/molly2.jpg

When I think back on it, I've been working on computers for 20 years; I have no idea why it took me so long to give digital art a try :confused:.

marcialsj
07-14-2010, 09:23 AM
The earliest digital software I painted artwork in was in PhotoArtMaster, which was a free software from England that gave a watercolor effect. The seashore scene here (San Francisco Cliff House and beach) is is dated March 2008. I enjoyed this software, printing out paintings onto heavy watercolor paper and then inking over the lines manually. However, I ruined several cheap printers that way because the heavy watercolor paper jams printers so stopped using PhotoArtMaster.

This pink sweet peas painting is the earliest artwork I can find for when I started out in Corel Essentials 4 -- it is dated July 2008. The sweet peas were growing against a rusting metal water tower, and I liked the rust marks that resulted. I was used the auto paint feature and began with colored pencil, but then right over it (same layer) I did a "detailed watercolor" autopaint that included the auto inking.

I've only done digital painting for several years, but I've been taking photos forever, since I was in college at least. Therefore, I base my digital artwork on my photographs -- I must have a zillion of them to pull from -- and so haven't really done any non-traced artwork. I have a hunch that's cheating for a purist, but that's where I am, at least for now. Maybe I can claim a long transition period....

Docsmith626
07-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Seems you're working on a problem that I'm coming at from another direction. I've been experimenting with combining photomanipulative techniques with painting to produce a sort of hybrid. Oddly enough, despite the power of the imaging software available, ArtRage is one of the simplest platforms for assembling images from parts created by different means.

Chibi J
07-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Fairy done from reference photo (using grid method) done on coral draw free trail from an imagine FX disc. I find artrage so much enjoyable to use and I can afford it.