PDA

View Full Version : contemplation

jbyrjbyr1
02-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Back to oil and back to attractive women for me. I loosely used a reference photo of Rachel Weisz (I enjoyed her in the "Mummy" movies) but tried to establish my own take on it. Oil, knife and eraser...

As always, C&C welcome and appreciated.

L Skylar Brown
02-09-2010, 01:33 PM
As I am somewhat enamoured with female faces, I feel I can say with confidence that this is absolutely superb!

weembaman
02-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Very nice, love the lighting...well done..

D Akey
02-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Pretty cool!

Has the surface feel that reminds me a bit of a worked clay bust. It's not smooth like one would expect of a beautiful woman normally. Yet it has an artistic quality that has great merit and potential. In sculpture it's pretty commonly done.

Nice twinkle in her eye. When that's a key feature, it says much about the personality of the sitter. There's emotion.

Eileen724
02-09-2010, 02:54 PM
I went to look up what the definition of "dramatic" is and this is what I found:

dramatic dra-mat-ic

1.of, pertaining to, or possessing drama.
2.striking; impressive.
3.ArtRage forum member, jbyrjbyr1's painting "Contemplation" - a portrait painting of Rachel Weisz done in ArtRage.

I don't think I need to elaborate anymore of my feelings of this one, JB.....it is just that dramatic in every way. Love it!!!

RobertSWade
02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Now you're just getting scary good at this, JB, and I mean that in the most complimentary way. Wow.

Evart
02-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Nice work jb!

Caesar
02-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Great likeness, confident and tasty strokes and ... above all, fantastic the way she emerges from darkness capturing the light beam coming down on her, a vague Caravaggio's reminiscence ...

coops
02-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Brilliant work JB:)

Lima
02-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Wow, JB wonderful...:eek:

fraser_paice
02-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Ooooh I like that... very well done.

ScottF
02-10-2010, 03:23 AM
IŽll just add another "Wow"! Super job jbyr!

jbyrjbyr1
02-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks L Skylar Brown; while I enjoy the challenge of drawing any face, male or female, I confess that studying a beautiful woman's visage at length is personally preferable to that same study aimed at a male face.

Weembaman, I'm glad you like this and am thrilled that you're back on the forum!:)

Thanks, D Akey; while I wish I could honestly say that the lack of smoothness was designed to acheive just the effect you mentioned, it's actually my lack of knife dexterity. But let's not tell everyone; we'll let them assume I did it intentionally.

Wow, Eileen; thak you so much...enough to make a guy blush :o

Thank you Robert, but much credit has to go to this program. My skills are still quite limited but the ability to bring in (and zoom in on) a reference photo, to pick just the right color when my eye can't get it right, and to zoom in on the workspace until an individual eye nearly fills my screen all make this a very VERY forgiving medium. The only downside (for me) is tht any hands-on drawings I try are so poor in comparison that they look to be done by entirely different people.

Evart; thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Caesar, my friend; words of praise from you are always welcome. I thank you.

Thanks, Coops; I appreciate your generous comments.

Orianelima my friend; I thank you.

Thank you very much, Fraser

Scott; I appreciate the kind words and encouragement.