PDA

View Full Version : From the historical vaults

alkratzer
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Just for laughs I thought I'd post this. If it is out of place or inappropriate I will delete/move it.

I was looking through some old disks of archived work and came across this, my first digital painting ever. Done in 1995 using an ACECAD plotter and Fauve Matisse software. The ACECAD was 12 x 12 inches, used a serial port had no pressure sensitivity, with a pen that was attached to the board with a cable. Drivers were loaded in DOS and it was an IRQ nightmare to keep it from stepping on the sound or graphics card memory space. At the time it was one of my coolest pieces of hardware.

The painting is of the Sandia Mountains in New Mexico. It actually ended up appearing on the cover of Digital Video magazine to tease a story on graphics tablets. (Back when DV was an oversized tab like Billboard and had a LOT of pieces about Amigas and Macs and not many on PC video.)

Maybe there should be a "First Digital Painting" thread started?

Jules
02-08-2010, 11:55 AM
ooo ooo a first digital drawing thread sounds pretty cool...

so you didnt dabble with this in artrage? :eek: faux mattise software...brilliant ehhe... it was corel draw when I first began an interest in digi art but it didnt do what I wanted..I used to daydream about real painting but on a screen, never thought it would happen, but it has!

Irq nightmare....sounds it..did you pull out all them lovely locks of hair ;)

A super example of early faux oil well done. :)

mwilneff
02-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Please do not delete.Such a festival of amazing color for the eyes.
Not bad at all!!
Marty

foxytocin
02-08-2010, 02:25 PM
It's so very, very vibrant! Incredibly bright. Cool.

coops
02-08-2010, 09:51 PM
So vibrant Al, I love it:)

justjean
02-08-2010, 09:53 PM
That was a great begining and such a happy colourful painting

Alexandra
02-08-2010, 11:57 PM
I hope this is framed and hanging on the wall! Lovely, lovely, beautiful, lovely!:)
This sounds like an excellent idea-a thread just for the first digital. I have mine. I made it on my daughter's Disney magic artist. I had a parker digital pen. One of the best digital pens that I have ever used.:)

Valerie
02-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Wow Al this is wonderful and so very colorful and vibrant.

Evart
02-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Looks like a colorful dream :)

flyashy
02-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Really cool painting Al, it doesn't look 'dated' at all (digitally dated; as in earlier software, limited palette options etc..) at all.
And yeah first digital painting sounds like a real cool thread! I'd have to dig up my first Corel files that I'd done on a 286 PC and stored on a 5.5" floppy..LOL!!
:)

Dany51
02-09-2010, 03:06 AM
Is very instructive for me, it looks like Matisse
and even if there are bold color in it
there are a real good harmony and
the result is a powerful landscape. I like it !:)

D Akey
02-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Woah. . .the 51st state: the Altered State. The governor is so proud with how you represented his state that he must be busting his peyote buttons.

In the binary world, this is the [On] position.

Intriguing with the result of reducing any one spot of a particular color. It's beginning to interact more from the juxtaposition as a blend. Would be interesting how it would read large and at a distance. In a way, were the areas of color reduced even further you could end up looking like some of the French painters from around the time of Braque. Wish I could remember their names for you. But they painted hot also with very interesting results.

AT-TA
02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
I love colorfull paintings so i am very happy to see this kind of work.... very good job, Al.

alkratzer
02-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Jules -- My first "art" program on my 1994 vintage Windows 3.11 Pentium 66 was Corel Draw 5 and I was MASSIVELY disappointed by the whole vector drawing thing. To this day I avoid Illustrator if possible. Fauve Matisse was an early Painter competitor that sold for about 100 bucks. It eventually became a much pricier program called XRez which was absorbed by Macromedia and eventually Adobe to become Fireworks.

Marty -- Thanks for the kind words -- I see a lot of my earlier acrylic painting style in this, held over from when I largely did landscapes while living in the Southwest in the 1980s.

Foxy, Coops, JustJean, Valerie, Evart, At-Ta -- Thanks to all of you and I'm pleased that you like the colors. You can see I was already pretty firmly set in my garishly bright, colorful ways even then.

Sandra -- I remember those Parker pens! I will start a "first work" thread in the art projects section ASAP. Should be interesting to see what we get!

Fly -- Thanks for the kind words. I'm personally still reeling from your latest couple of pieces with the new Wacom. I feel like someone gave the talented violin prodigy a Stradivarius to play on and we're finding out how good he really is!

Dany51 -- Thank you for taking the time to comment. There is a lot of touches of blue inside the large orange area that might be adding some cohesion overall.

D Akey -- I cannot confirm or deny the possible influence of Peyote on the coloring of this one! Once again you have an extremely knowing eye. The program was fairly limited by today's standards and so was the hardware. There was not a lot of blending possible, and the color mixes had to be done "in the eye" of the viewer. Thanks for commenting

Thank you all for stopping to view and comment!

flyashy
02-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Fly -- Thanks for the kind words. I'm personally still reeling from your latest couple of pieces with the new Wacom. I feel like someone gave the talented violin prodigy a Stradivarius to play on and we're finding out how good he really is!
Whoa Al, that's too high a praise, I'm just learning the ropes here :)

BTW, I had my grandfather's violin that turned out to be a Stradivarius (fake, of course!) When I found out it said Stradivarius, I had such a vivid dream of riches for a second or two....almost as vivid as your paintings!!!
:)