PDA

View Full Version : Golden Wolf

L Skylar Brown
02-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Still in Animal portrait mode. This is The February animal painting challenge from Wet Canvas. Thought he turned out pretty good, tho I probably should've finessed it a little more. From ref photo, one layer, (no photo manip).

Djenn
02-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Wow! Great job. I excually like it very mutch :)

mannafig
02-06-2010, 11:39 AM
He' is stunning dear Sky:):)
But in my opinion he does look a bit more foxy than wolf.but still brilliant:):)

Alexandra
02-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Skylar, this is a beautiful, but I agree, it looks more like the beautiful red fox. Stunning painting.:)

Lima
02-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Stunning painting Skylar, congratulations.

Valerie
02-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Skylar, this is outstanding and I felt like you was looking right at me,

L Skylar Brown
02-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm loving all the comments. And - I have to laugh, because as I was painting this I kept thinking how Foxish, as opposed to wolfish he looked (This was my thought from the orig. photo, so I guess I was very accurate. I posted this on another site, where I voiced this very thought about Fox/Wolf.

Evart
02-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Oh wow I do sooooo like this painting!

as212
02-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Lovely Golden Wolf.

L Skylar Brown
02-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Evelyn - Thank you so much! I put a lot of work into this little "Dog"

coops
02-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Skylay you are so talented. The fur is fabulous:)

AT-TA
02-07-2010, 06:43 PM
This is a beauty, Skylar, i can see a lot of character in his face and he or she... is something to look at...

L Skylar Brown
02-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Coops, AT-TA, thanks so much. The fur was applied one stroke at a time over a base coloring. Quite a lot of Brushstrokes. I chose a setting of 5 with about 30% load and 30% thinner to get a somewhat chunky, coarse feel to the fur.

Sketchism71
02-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Nicely done LSB! I have an unfinished wolf painting I abandoned a while back, looking at this makes me want to revisit it! I like the way you left the background white. Focusing all on the powerful image of the wolf! Fantastic job!

greegorush
02-08-2010, 08:31 AM
I love animals of all kinds. Good job, indeed.

alkratzer
02-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Coops, AT-TA, thanks so much. The fur was applied one stroke at a time over a base coloring. Quite a lot of Brushstrokes. I chose a setting of 5 with about 30% load and 30% thinner to get a somewhat chunky, coarse feel to the fur.

If only we had a "grow fur" brush where you could lay down a solid color and it would sprout hundreds of individual hairs -- kind of like a ChiaPet. (http://z.about.com/d/inventors/1/0/U/9/ramchia.jpg)

mwilneff
02-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Love your work Skylar.Well done!!
Marty

ScottF
02-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Finely done, Skylar!

L Skylar Brown
02-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Sketch - I had a somewhat neutral, kinda woodsy bkg planned, and was going to do it on another layer. As I was finishing the piece, I noticed an odd almost dimensional effect it had without the bkg - and so decided to leave it the way you see it.

L Skylar Brown
02-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Greego - Thanks so much!
Al - That made me laugh! One thing I surely miss is a Fan Brush - that's what I use in the real world for all that fur.
Hey, Maybe the Boys will read this, and come up with one!
Marty, Scott - Thanks for the kind words - I love 'em!

justjean
02-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Gorgeous :)

sabena
02-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Wow Fantastic painting:)

L Skylar Brown
02-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Jean, Sabena - Thank you both so much!

FireFytingNut
02-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Hello Skylar and hello everyone :)

I'm braaand spankin new to the forums and pretty darn new to Art Rage. I have very very VERY little art experience but I saw this image as I've been sifting through the forums and it's gorgeous! Great work!

I'll sloowly but surely make it around here and see what everyone has created. I'm so curious! I began a little project last night after I bought Art Rage Pro. I'd be interested in constructive criticism from everyone.:o

This is just fantastic Skylar. It looks very very difficult....to me! LOL

Take care all :)

L Skylar Brown
02-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Fire - Thanks so much! My learning curve with digital has been about a yr & 1/2. I started constructing simple shapes, and then filling them with colors (all Mouse work). Then, I got a drawing pad, & bought a sketch program. That led to Corel Draw, Painter, and several other programs, before I discovered ArtRage, which I bought last Sept (2.5). Immediately I knew this was the one - I could create images in my computer exactly as I did on canvas. I'm sure I was one of the first to buy Studio Pro when it came out. I have been a very happy part of this community ever since. (I have also had two diff Digital images honored in Mainstream Art publications since.)

hanzz
02-10-2010, 05:06 AM
That is a real stunner ! fantastic work, mate!

L Skylar Brown
02-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Hanzz - Thanks so much, it is most appreciated.

FireFytingNut
02-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Fire - Thanks so much! My learning curve with digital has been about a yr & 1/2. I started constructing simple shapes, and then filling them with colors (all Mouse work). Then, I got a drawing pad, & bought a sketch program. That led to Corel Draw, Painter, and several other programs, before I discovered ArtRage, which I bought last Sept (2.5). Immediately I knew this was the one - I could create images in my computer exactly as I did on canvas. I'm sure I was one of the first to buy Studio Pro when it came out. I have been a very happy part of this community ever since. (I have also had two diff Digital images honored in Mainstream Art publications since.)

That is SO way cool Skylar!

Thank you, also, for the background on your learning. It's helpful to know. Seriously!

I started on the Drawspace website. Learning how to view things and learning how to pencil sketch. That helped me with that part you were talking about with making basic shapes and going from there. I would LOVE one of those Intuos pads! WOW! Sooomeday!

I am working on finishing my first Art Rage project and will share it, as soon as I figure out how to save it as a .png file and put it in my Photobucket. LOL I know the instructions are there, just haven't gotten to that step yet.

Great work though, truly!

L Skylar Brown
02-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Fire - I really appreciate the feed-back. If there's anything specific I can help you with, just let me know. I have posted several demo vids on youtube - you might find them interesting.