PDA

View Full Version : A fruitful delight in watercolours

Caesar
02-05-2010, 06:04 AM
Here's my last watercolour experiment.
It started as a speedy one, but I eventually applied some more patience and three layers to the initial pencil outlined sketch.
I used many reference pictures only to the extent they provided me with an idea of each fruit proportion and colours, but I didn't pick any colour or copied any element, also because they were all under different lights and with different resolutions.
I don't know whether I was able to compose them decently, look them mutually consistant and homogeneous as a style (I kept experimenting practically on each fruit or flower etc. to give also a vaguely tactile feeling).
Anyway I'm satisfied enough of the results (no stickers or stencils, by the way) and I feel I got a good control of watercolours, at least in this not much transparent style ...
Probably I ould have improved some details a little bit (or spoilt it ...), but enough is enough ...

Andrea
02-05-2010, 06:13 AM
That's beautiful Caesar, I didn't get into AR watercolors yet but this make wish to try them :)

alien23
02-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Well done Caesar another watercolour masterpiece.

coops
02-05-2010, 06:34 AM
This turned out wonderfully Cesare, its a beautiful painting.:)

AT-TA
02-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Ceasar, this is magnificent painting... every piece of fruit looks so healthy, juicy and uhm....mnummy... love the whole palett you used here... calm and elegant... would be very nice in the dinning room over a huge oak table... and i love the italian marble floors... i am immaginning having one in the dinning room where this picture would be hanging till the time comes...:)
Masterpiece in a golden frame!Congratulation !

justjean
02-05-2010, 08:58 AM
it's great and when I grow young again I want to paint like that :D

flyashy
02-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Ah Caesar,
your paintings always manage to generate a physical effect on me...
this time it's hunger!
:D :D
Great one!

ScottF
02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Caesar, this turned out so very well! You´re definitely getting a handle on the watercolors!

mannafig
02-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Mouth watering truly a delight to look at dear Cesare:):)

Ailaya
02-05-2010, 10:30 AM
This is just outstanding Caesar. I feel like this painting keeps contradicting itself; the style is so loose and free for a subject that seems so stiff and concrete, and the colors are just bright and lively, such that this fruits seems like a meal someone is, or is about to, partake in, not merely some props used for a painting subject. They swirl with such vibrant hues and reflect a magical sense of light that they themselves almost seem alive. I can certainly smell and taste them right now though from just looking at this masterful image! Well done my dear Caesar :)

Alexandra
02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Outstandingly beautiful and delicious!:)

Caesar
02-05-2010, 11:36 AM
First of all I forgot to say that the flowers are the right complement to the juicy fruits both ideally offered to the lovely ladies in here who are, in most cases, dear and most appreciated friends to me and inspiring and motivating muse to my visual artistic and humouristic attempts.

Dear Rose, I don't know if the roses I painted in here evocated You, but, in case, I would add at least a rose in any painting ...:p Thank You!

Grazie Andrea! Vai pure con gli acquerelli. Chissà che meraviglie vedremmo!
Thank You Andrea! Go on with watercolours. Who know which marvels we would see!:eek:

Thank You Alien! I don't know if You've got these fruits on Your planet too ...:D

I guess You would have preferred these elements on a pair of shoes, dear Katie, thank You anyway.:D

Dearest AT-TA, I'd be so honoured to have it hanging in Your dining room that I should look for a nice marble block to send over there ...:D Thank You for Your outstandingly enthusiastic words on this experiment outside my most common subjects genres ...:)

Dear Justjean, You anticipated me on this subject wonderfully and, when I grow young again, I'd still need further lives to do all I'd like to and improve as much as I wish ... ;) Thank You!

I wouldn't speculate too much on all the physical effects I may generate on Your amazing brain with my paintings, dear Flyashy (also considering You use it upside down, looking at Your avatar:p). I suspect that they may be the worst ones in some cases :D

Thank You, dear Scott! Achieving a good understanding and handling of these watercolours may possibly constitute a hope I might eventually better understand and handle decently ladies too one day ...:D

More or less the same effect of Your bride painting, my dear Amanda, probably because the bouquet looked particularly appetising.:D Thank You!

Dearest Jessica, Your words explain why it took longer than the usual one-two hours time to compose and complete this. All the contradictions You see and the swirling and vibrant effects are not a demonstration of great planning and technical capabilities, but rather the opposite, i.e. that I didn't use a firm procedure and proficient techniques, but that I switched off almost since the start the automatic pilot to drive manually and intuitively on such a complex subject to put together and harmonise.
In the WIP section it was correctly observed that I should have started with the background and at least a base tone for each element first, to enhance the possibility of a successful painting. Since I didn't, it was a real challenge to get some honest outcome ... but, for this reason, even more exciting for me to complete.
My most heartfelt thanks for Your flattering and delightful commnt and insightful analysis, my dear friend. :)
I hope to go on see You and Your artpieces here as frequently as You can.;)

Pls, help Yourself, dearest Sandra! They're all biological products.:D Thank You!

SCP
02-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Ah Caesar,
your paintings always manage to generate a physical effect on me...
this time it's hunger!
:D :D
Great one!
I think Flyashy sums up my feelings on this one,Let's eat!! Great job Caesar!:):)

jbyrjbyr1
02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
A beautiful painting, my friend; lively and colorful, vibrant and "tasty" (and an added plus...no calories!); all in your distinctive painterly "voice." Nicely done, Caesar

Evart
02-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Very impressive Caesar. Beautiful painting :)

RobertSWade
02-05-2010, 03:28 PM
The only possible criticism is the placement and prominence of your signature, my friend. The rest is watercolor wonder.

foxytocin
02-05-2010, 03:51 PM
FRESH! Delightful, Caesar....the color palette showcases the fruits beautifully.

Eileen724
02-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey! You finished my painting from the WIP forum! I wasn't expecting it so soon! Thanks, Caesar!!!!

This is just incredible and so full of character. It has all the right ingredients of a masterfully painted still life. Your skill with the watercolors is just remarkable and each and every painting you do with them are just a delight to see.

Caesar
02-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Dear SCP, pls help Yourself then! It seems I'm often able to raise the most atavistic instincts ...:p Thank you!

Dear Jbyrjbyr1, what a flattering, warm (and dietetic) compliments sequence ... Thank You!

Just think twice about eating the apple, dear Evart! I wouldn't like it was supplied by either Snow-white mother-in-law or the Edend's Snake ...:D
Thank You!

You're absolutely right, dear Bob. My signature looks like a sort of too evident jelly splashed on the rear wall. I was probably affected and contaminated by Coops' gloop-art ...:p Thank you!

Maybe it's still too cold to display such a fresh set of fruits and flowers, dear Foxy. Anyway You may drink the glass of wine to feel some warmth ...;):) Thank You!

Dear Eileen, I would then add herebelow the WIP with a clear graphical clue that I was dedicating this painting to You, apart from the fact that the palette is not that different from that of Your Avarat and Yourself look there a quite healthy and fresh fruit to pick ...;):D
Apart from my jokes, my most heartfelt thanks for Your enthusiastic comment, my friend!:)

paul_uk7
02-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Amazing and very inspirational painting

Caesar
02-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Thank You, dear Paul! I guess the inspiration You get is a quite mundane one ... lunchtime! :p

Albert
02-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Absolutely magnificent.

uuderzo
02-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Oh, I think i've missed this final one! Really great Caesar. You're mastering watercolour very well!

alkratzer
02-06-2010, 01:12 AM
What a great still life!!!!
I love the way the round grapes, round spots on the pear, round seeds in the pomegranate and spots on agave leaves move your eyes around the composition. This came together beautifully!

Caesar
02-06-2010, 04:20 AM
Whenever Your appreciation appears, dear Albert, I'm pretty sure that I did a good enough job. ;) Thank You, dear mate! :)

Looks like I start controlling them reasonably well, dear Uuderzo. Sooner or later I shall consider something inspired by our most admired Andrea,:rolleyes: maybe also with watercolours, "the veins in my wrists are trembling" (a literary idiomatic Italian translation) in front of such a challenge and likely failure ...:(
Thank You!

Dear Alkratzer, Your complimets are so warm and appreciated ... that I'm now ashamed I just posted Your caricature here and in Jules Avatar thread.:(:D Just kidding; I hope You'll like it and the silly pun with Your name. Thank You very much!

Lima
02-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Caesar, I followed the progress of this painting. Glad you did it not started by the background. This program is so fantastic and allows many different possibilities; not that we have to follow strict rules. This painting is simply delicious, stricto sensus.

Caesar
02-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Thank You dear Oriane! The greatest feature of ArtRage is that You may significantly accelerate Your learning curve and also to possibly get a far higher number of happy accident You should be ready to take advantage of and exploit.;):)

as212
02-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Caesar....Sometimes... your paintings make me feel better, this is the reason I like it, Your life and certainly a lot of color composition.

Caesar
02-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Dear As212, whenever I can please or, even better, make someone else feel better or look in a better way to the marvels we've got around us and hardly notice, this is a great reward for me rejoicing for it. Thank You very much then and I just hope I'll do this effect again in the future. A painting has to be a bridge to communicate and share and a prayer, not only experess ourselves.
The prayers I like the most are the one praising for life and what we've got for free...;):)

Rick
02-07-2010, 03:47 AM
This one sure got my attention Caesar.. Very nice painting.. Looks like you do have a good handle on the watercolors..

Caesar
02-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I signed a gentlemen agreement with watercolours now they respect quite well, dear Rick! :D Your blessing as an inimitable still life master, is particularly appreciated. Thank You!:)

JOSEPHINE.EARP
02-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Wonderful painting...simply wonderful. I am full of envy of your talent.Best wishes Jo x

Caesar
02-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Dear Jo, I thank You very much, :) but with the rate of progress You're showing by practising, I think and wish Your stated and friendly envy will end pretty soon ...;):p Take care dear friend!