PDA

View Full Version : Watercolour help please

SteveCrowther
02-02-2010, 02:39 AM
I wonder if anyone can help.
I have been a lurker here for over a year and was very excited when watercolour was added to the impressive list of tools for AR3. I have upgraded to Studio Pro and am keen to start my digital watercolour painting.

However I am meeting with great frustration.
Can anyone please tell me what suggested settings I need to make a true wet in wet effect? When I paint with 'real' paints, I wet the paper, paint a wash and then 'drop in' other colours to get a colour bleed. The colours then mix to create new colours. I just can't seem to get this wet in wet technique. All I seem to be able to do is simulate a wet marker pen effect.
I am sure I am missing something but I hope for help from this very talented community.

Thanks,
Steve

Jules
02-02-2010, 05:26 AM
Hi Steve, blimey tall order....Im sure it can be done, practice practice practice practice and practice, I have done many watercolor paintings using artrage effectively, I even experimented with the gloop tool with some interesting results.... here look http://bit.ly/b5UnsZ (http://bit.ly/b5UnsZ)

Its not impossible, you don't have to stick to the presets, once you have figured out how to do a wet on wet, save it.

Don't forget to use the real color blending option, also the palette knife has some great effects that mimic watercolor blending... also experiment with the canvas and layers, these can make a BIG difference to a painting.

I shall now go away and have a practice myself, if I come up with anything I will let you know. I find digital watercolor a great challenge.

Have fun
Jules

arenhaus
02-02-2010, 05:49 AM
In brush settings, turn Paper Wet on and Insta-Dry off.

Jules
02-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Basically its trying to make the paint diffuse like it does when you add water to watercolor paint...:)

OK, ive been faffing... Ive attached a screenshot, I used the the delicate on dry preset, each individual color on a separate layer, then overlapped the colours and blended them with the just water brush.. I like the desired wet on wet effect...hope its something you resemble as wet on wet?

I also use traditional watercolor neither method is in your absolute control thats what I like about the medium be it real or digital ;)

Jules
02-02-2010, 06:48 AM
The finished piece.... I blended all the layers into one another with a pallette knife then I merged all layers down...

Quite excited about this now...glad you posted this thread. :)

SteveCrowther
02-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Hi Jules,

Thanks for that brilliant explanation. I have admired your images and I now feel I can go away and practice your techniques. I look forward to your next painting using your method!!

Thanks again,

Steve

Jules
02-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi Steve, hope it helped, its still not perfect, Id love to get that grainy feel, Ill have to experiment a little more. :D

SteveCrowther
02-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Jules,

Please do keep trying. I must admit that I find watercolour the most rewarding and frustrating medium I use. I do love the unpredictability and just want to recreate it with AR3. You seem to be getting there :)

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I am sure your posts will help many other people who are wrestling with the free nature of watercolour painting.

Cheers,

Steve

Jules
02-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Here is another sample, 2 layers, one layer is rough, blended with frost palette knife..

Jules
02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi Jules,

Please do keep trying. I must admit that I find watercolour the most rewarding and frustrating medium I use. I do love the unpredictability and just want to recreate it with AR3. You seem to be getting there :)

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I am sure your posts will help many other people who are wrestling with the free nature of watercolour painting.

Cheers,

Steve

I will :) and you are welcome. Id like to see more people doing traditional style watercolo(u)rs on here.

SteveCrowther
02-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I think I have managed to get the effect I want by doing the following:|

Watercolour Dry stroke preset with about 50% thinners,
Use the hard wet blending tool pallet knife.

This combination gives the effect of one colour blending into another.

Happy watercolouring,

Steve

Jules
02-02-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm glad that you have found a technique that suits you best. I've also found one that is pretty cool too.

I don't think I would have experimented with this, if you hadn't have started this thread Steve :cool:

I now like to use delicate on dry watercolor, I tend to gravitate to this setting for some reason, I really like it, then put that on 90% thinners, then launch multiple layers (but 2 is fine) and then tiny frost for the blending the layers together, it seems to work pretty well. :)

Have fun!

alkratzer
02-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Thanks to both of you for sharing your methods
I'm going to have to try that watercolor stuff too!

Jules
02-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Cool Al, cant wait :D

SteveCrowther
02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who has responded to this post. I am a member of a number of forums and this is by far the friendliest and the most active.
Thanks Jules for your advice, as a novice to digital art I am looking forward to trying some of the techniques out and I promise to post my efforts. Nice to contact someone Oop North as well!
I am expecting this to be a lot harder that using actual watercolour paints....and that is saying a lot!
Thanks again and I look forward to more communication through these wonderful forums.

Steve

PaperTree
02-03-2010, 01:23 PM
I even experimented with the gloop tool with some interesting results.... here look http://bit.ly/b5UnsZ (http://bit.ly/b5UnsZ)

Jules: I saw this lovely painting a little while back and I wondered how you did it. Can you tell me your settings for "English wet on wet" as I don't seem to have that pre-set in my arsenal, so I assume it is one of your own. The painting is very effective and just what I like in a watercolour.

PaperTree
02-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Can you tell me your settings for "English wet on wet" as I don't seem to have that pre-set in my arsenal, so I assume it is one of your own.

Whoops, responded before I read the entire thread again. :o

Jules
02-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Jules: I saw this lovely painting a little while back and I wondered how you did it. Can you tell me your settings for "English wet on wet" as I don't seem to have that pre-set in my arsenal, so I assume it is one of your own. The painting is very effective and just what I like in a watercolour.

Hi Papertree, Ive done a few doodles for you, this is based on the gloop setting I used for my Haworth painting (the one with the church and snow)

the arrows show the pen tilt direction ( I used a Wacom Intuos3) the gloop pen setting is a variation of the pseudo-water blob

As for the wet on wet effect, I just used the delicate on dry preset and blended the two together in the same layer.

Hope this helps hun ;)

janetcwest
02-08-2010, 11:32 PM
I took your color combo and the tips in this thread and came up with this. Thanks. It worked pretty well.

scribbler
03-26-2010, 12:56 PM
OK, ive been faffing... Ive attached a screenshot, I used the the delicate on dry preset, each individual color on a separate layer, then overlapped the colours and blended them with the just water brush.. I like the desired wet on wet effect...hope its something you resemble as wet on wet?

Hi, this looks great but when you say 'then overlapped the colours' I'm not sure what you mean and I'm struggling to duplicate this. Could you elaborate a little please? Thanks :)

charlied
01-01-2011, 03:20 AM
OK, ive been faffing... Ive attached a screenshot, I used the the delicate on dry preset, each individual color on a separate layer, then overlapped the colours and blended them with the just water brush..

Hi Jules. Can you explain how you achieve this please??

screenpainter
01-04-2011, 03:02 AM
Janet, that's a gorgeous watercolor! Fantastic work. Jules I love your techniques here. Haven't heard from you in quite some time. Hope you are doing well out there? Here is my experiment with the technique.