PDA

View Full Version : Custom picker utility

azathothgr
01-31-2010, 05:05 AM
Here's a little python utility to convert .col files to custom color pickers, and create picker templates.
I'm not sure if it will work, please help me test it.

Linux : http://sites.google.com/site/azathothgr/custompicker2_linux.tar.gz

Windows : http://sites.google.com/site/azathothgr/custompicker2_windows.rar

Just extract the directory somewhere, and then drop a .col file over the executable.
You can also drop a simple txt file containing an integer, to create a transparent picker template for that amount of colors, which you can then fill up in gimp or photoshop.
Alternatively, you can use it from a command line.

There's a more or less arbitrary limit of more than 3 and less than 168 colors per picker. If the .col file has more than that, it will be split accordingly in roughly equal sized parts.

The png images will be created at the location of the .col or .txt file.

For linux it's command line only I'm afraid, the drag & drop behavior is different.

If it doesn't work, please run it from a command line (start> run> cmd) in case there's any messages displayed.

I attached two examples, created from palettes uploaded to this forum.

PS: don't forget to scan it for viruses, it's an executable after all. I've included the source in both archives, in any case.

EDIT: new links, palette from image functionality

Juz
01-31-2010, 06:37 AM
OMG that is stoopid cool :eek::cool::cool::cool:
How clever you are !!
Thanks heaps, this will be getting a lot of use from me for sure :):)

Works wonderfully on my system... windows XP pro 64bit
Kaspersky found no viruses

EDIT: Tried out the text integer method too and its works perfectly as well... fabulous work, thanks again

bebraw
01-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Nice work! I had a similar idea earlier. I wanted to create a palette like yours but based on given input image instead. You can find my initial code (Python, uses PIL) here (http://gist.github.com/290687). It just blurs the image, quantizes it and outputs the found colors in a grid of colors.

Feel free to use the code if you want. It's still missing a smart way to sort the colors (some ideas (http://visualmotive.com/colorsort/)) and I'm sure there are nicer ways to generate palette than the way I used. I expect a good algorithm would take image content in count better (ie. detect shapes and make sure colors of even smaller shapes are used well) but simple blur + quantize might do for now.

Eileen724
01-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Really nice tool....azathothgr....thanks! I had no issues with using this and very much appreciate you sharing this with us! BTW....one could sort (by hue, name, etc.) the COL in AR and export it as the same name or a different name (whatever floats your boat...!) and then take that sorted COL to create the picker file.

Here's one that I created using the old gray.col file I got from someone in this forum awhile back!

337_lee
01-31-2010, 09:31 AM
works perfectly (as far I can tell) And I prefer the color picker to the samples so even better for me

Thanks

azathothgr
01-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Nice work! I had a similar idea earlier. I wanted to create a palette like yours but based on given input image instead. You can find my initial code (Python, uses PIL) here (http://gist.github.com/290687). It just blurs the image, quantizes it and outputs the found colors in a grid of colors.

Feel free to use the code if you want. It's still missing a smart way to sort the colors (some ideas (http://visualmotive.com/colorsort/)) and I'm sure there are nicer ways to generate palette than the way I used. I expect a good algorithm would take image content in count better (ie. detect shapes and make sure colors of even smaller shapes are used well) but simple blur + quantize might do for now.

Ooo , I'll look into adding that functionality, with your get_colors function. Dropping an image to the exe, and getting a custom palette should be nice =)
I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how to automatically sort colors, though. It sounds rather complex. Maybe something linear would do , just to keep the palettes visually pleasing, like a hue sort.

bebraw
01-31-2010, 09:10 PM
YIQ sort seems visually pleasing to me. I wrote a simple example of how to do that. You can find it here (http://gist.github.com/290961). It uses colorsys (http://docs.python.org/library/colorsys.html) module that's provided with Python. It might make sense to give grapefruit (http://code.google.com/p/grapefruit/) a go at some point considering it supports more color systems, though.

There probably should be some sort of way to define which sorting method to use (spawn a simple UI on drop or just use some config file?).

azathothgr
02-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Ok this is the best I can do ..
I've added the palette from image functionality from bebraw's code, and a sorting method, that I thought made more sense, both for .col and image files.

The problem with arithmetic sorting is that with so few colors in an average picker, the first sorting priority is going to take over completely. The others won't play any significant role at all..

So I've done a sort of 'SHL' sorting and grouping. First saturation to get rid of the grays, separating in 3 rough groups of saturation, then Hue, into 10 hue groups, and finally lightness. All values within the same group are considered equal for sorting. That way all the reds (for instance) are together, sorted by lightness, without minute hue differences taking over.

Adding a gui would be overkill probably, so I've just included 2 exe's, for sorted and unsorted results. The sorting method is hardwired for now I'm afraid.. But you can always sort color swatches from within artrage.

bebraw
02-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Nice work! You are quick. This will be extremely useful utility. :)

Juz
02-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Fantastic... having the two options is really helpful as there are times where i want to sort and other times when i want to maintain the order of the orignal .col.

Just wanted to ask what image file types can be used for a palette generated from an image ?

A huge thank you to both Azathothgr and Bebraw for your work on this great utility :):)

azathothgr
02-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Fantastic... having the two options is really helpful as there are times where i want to sort and other times when i want to maintain the order of the orignal .col.

Just wanted to ask what image file types can be used for a palette generated from an image ?

A huge thank you to both Azathothgr and Bebraw for your work on this great utility :):)

jpg and png. Theoretically any image could be used, but those are the most common ones anyway.

ulrik
02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
This seems to be a very usefull tool, is it possible to make it work under osx (mac)?

regards / Ulrik

arenhaus
02-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Brilliant idea.

Perhaps the Rage team could add an option to display any color swatch set you make in the picker like this, without the need to convert it into PNG?

azathothgr
02-01-2010, 03:59 PM
This seems to be a very usefull tool, is it possible to make it work under osx (mac)?

regards / Ulrik

I can't package it for OSX, I've no easy access to it, but theoretically python is cross platform and should work.
If you take the time to run the sources in osx, you could package it as a binary.
That would require installing python, cairo, pycairo, PIL, and something like py2app, some of which aren't very straightforward to install, so I wouldn't recommend going to all that trouble just to run this little script..
On the other hand, if you happen to already have python installed and have some idea of python on OSX (I dont :P), you could give it a shot.

ulrik
02-01-2010, 08:56 PM
I can't package it for OSX, I've no easy access to it, but theoretically python is cross platform and should work.
If you take the time to run the sources in osx, you could package it as a binary.
That would require installing python, cairo, pycairo, PIL, and something like py2app, some of which aren't very straightforward to install, so I wouldn't recommend going to all that trouble just to run this little script..
On the other hand, if you happen to already have python installed and have some idea of python on OSX (I dont :P), you could give it a shot.

Well I have all dependecies installed already, except py2app, I'm not very good at this kind of thing but I will give it a try.
I guess I have to have the source code?

azathothgr
02-02-2010, 06:43 AM
The source in both archives is identical. To make the sort and unsort versions just change a variable near the end of picker.py : sort=False to sort=True.

As for py2app I've no idea either.. If it's anything like cx_freeze, then it shouldn't be too hard. The most basic options, copied straight from the documentation examples worked just fine. Probably adding unneeded modules, but oh well.

Dany51
02-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Just extract the directory somewhere, and then drop a .col file over the executable.
You can also drop a simple txt file containing an integer, to create a transparent picker template for that amount of colors, which you can then fill up in gimp or photoshop.

I don't know what an integer is,
I have a text like that:
"#333333
#5588aa
#cc6600
#cccccc
#0000cc
#f0f0f0
#ffffff
"
and tried to use it but I didn't have anything .
Also two or three col files didn't work ,
one was about six or eight color , the other, I don't know ,certainly bigger.

I any case, the others worked well.

Thank you very much !!:):):):):):)

Here are some knew palettes :

Paint My Cat and Artists Oils :

Dany51
02-02-2010, 08:16 AM
The Artists oils and CMYK Color Wheel.

bebraw
02-02-2010, 08:24 AM
I have a text like that:
"#333333
#5588aa
#cc6600
#cccccc
#0000cc
#f0f0f0
#ffffff
"

Just try putting in some text file (num.txt or something)

where 5 is the amount of color swatches you want.

That should do the trick.

Dany51
02-02-2010, 08:49 AM
A different text than the one with the colors ?!

Isn't possible to ad it in a different line after or before the text colors,
in the same file ?

Dany51
02-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Well, I tried the both ways and with the two files I get the transparent template, where I can have any color I choice ?!
Eventually I can make the choice of the number of colors of my palette and do the template and after have the palettes.

I don't know if it will be visible , I show what I get (white on white,
if you click on the image you can see where it is the template) :

bebraw
02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
If you open up the file in Artrage (File -> Import Image File), you should see the opaque and transparent parts of the image just fine. After that it's just a matter of filling (hotkey "f") the areas with colors desired.

I'm not sure about the .col issue. It might have something with the input format. Hopefully azathothgr can answer that issue better.

Dany51
02-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks bebraw, is a good idea to use directly Art Rage,

what I wanted to say was that in fact which colors was in the text is not important as long as you do the palette after
but it give to me the idea to make a template with a certain number of colors on my choice and after do the different palettes.

azathothgr
02-03-2010, 08:02 AM
I have a text like that:
"#333333
#5588aa
#cc6600
#cccccc
#0000cc
#f0f0f0
#ffffff
"

I any case, the others worked well.

Thank you very much !!:):):):):):)

Here are some knew palettes :

Paint My Cat and Artists Oils :

Oo why didn't I think of that! The text file was just for entering a number of colors,and creating an empty template. But it could certainly have hex values and create a full picker, I'll look into it if you like. Might be useful for copying colors from web tools or something like that..
As for the .col files that didn't work, maybe they're artrage2 .col files, and they're different than AR3 in some way, or I just didn't understand the col file format very well. After all I just opened some in a hex editor and saw where all the values were.
Could you attach them?

Juz
02-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Hexidecimal too :eek:... ooo yes please :D

Rowena
02-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Sorry, I dont understand...

The images posted gave me the idea that this was something that would fit into the color picker tool slot bottom right hand corner - into which we can drop a .col file. But the link delivered a PNG file and then also a rar file - none of which seem executable...

I had imagined that this might be a way to derive colors from an image file that are then loaded into this as a color chart.

But how is this different from loading colors in the color samples floating panel - other than in its half circular shape?

Sorry if I have misunderstood :confused:

Rowena
02-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Sorry, I dont understand...

The images posted gave me the idea that this was something that would fit into the color picker tool slot bottom right hand corner - into which we can drop a .col file. But the link delivered a PNG file and then also a rar file - none of which seem executable...

I had imagined that this might be a way to derive colors from an image file that are then loaded into this as a color chart.

But how is this different from loading colors in the color samples floating panel - other than in its half circular shape?

Sorry if I have misunderstood :confused:

Dany51
02-05-2010, 04:03 AM
Oo why didn't I think of that! The text file was just for entering a number of colors,and creating an empty template. But it could certainly have hex values and create a full picker, I'll look into it if you like. Might be useful for copying colors from web tools or something like that..
As for the .col files that didn't work, maybe they're artrage2 .col files, and they're different than AR3 in some way, or I just didn't understand the col file format very well. After all I just opened some in a hex editor and saw where all the values were.
Could you attach them?
@azathothgr : a full picker, good idea if you have time for it !:)

about the .col files who didn't work ,
you have two executables, picker_sort and picker_unsort,

when I begin I tried the unsort and didn't work with any color files that I tried, then I tried the other one and it worked with all the files excepted two or three,
now, as I want to be sure of it, I tried again the two files and the file that didn't work with the picker_sort worked with the other one .

I have many .col files and the most of them are from AR2.5, is not a problem with that.

I upload here the "hues" .col files which give me problems but I get the picker and finally there are no problem but perhaps this can help you to understand better what is all about and eventually explain to me,
I didn't programming from the '70, it may give you an idea how far I am from it :D:):)
Thanks again for all this !!

Dany51
02-05-2010, 04:15 AM
Hi Rowena,
no doubt azathothgr can give a more complete answer
but the simple one is :

unzip the .rar file in a folder and you have in there two executable
(read my precedent post about it),
call the folder custompicker,

I have it in my Colors folder in Art Rage folder :)

all you have to do is to find all (or what you want to have as pickers)
your .col collection from the Resources folder and bring them in that folder,
then one by one drop them on the executable,
you will see the pickers show up one by one,
then bring back the .col files to their place and the pickers to the pickers folder.

Hope this will help !:)

Rowena
02-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Hi Dany,

Thanks for the answer and for trying to help... maybe I am just thick, but I am just a humble artist and not a programmer.

So I am trying to unzip the file as directed... but first it seems I must first win zip the file? I did that and found it was pre named just like you said - so now I extract from the winzip - but nothing! no executable files, just a win zip bundle is added to my collection. i now have 1 .rar fille and 1 PNG image, and the whole thing in a win zip bundle.

Nothing makes sense:o

Dany51
02-05-2010, 07:20 AM
I don't understand what you mean by "win zip" the file, do you work on a Mac ?
I said "unzip" the file, you have to have a compression software
which can handle the .rar files ,
I just installed Astrotite for that , is free , you can download it here (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Compression-tools/Astrotite-200X.shtml)
or you can make the choice of another program
from the compression rubric, just check that can handle the .rar files.

Hope that can help :)

337_lee
02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I have uploaded a plain ol' fashioned zip version of the files to my website, for anyone having a problem with the rar file. Rar files are compressed files more often used on linux computer systems

You can get it at http://www.web-bandit.com/files/artrage/custompicker.zip.

Most windows computers can unzip a zipped file by right clicking on the zip file and selecting "extract" or "extract all" from the pop up menu. Or you can use winzip, or whatever program you are accustomed to.

You will need all of the files in the extracted folder, but the ones you want to pay attention to are called "picker_sort.exe" and "picker_unsort.exe" If you have a standard, un-customized, windows installation, you won't see the "EXE" part, you'll just see the file names "picker_sort" and "picker_unsort".

And then it's just a matter of dragging your col files onto the exe file to make your custom picker. (You'll need two explorer windows open :))

the icons for the files will look similar to one of these icons on a windows computer. (xp and vista - don't know what windows7 look like) Hope that helps...

Rowena
02-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Dany, I don't have Mac I have Windows XP - no doubt this is the problem...

Lee, none of the files I downloaded have the .exe part which is puzzling because azatho refers to them as executable files fron the get go.
But what i downloaded is what i got :confused:

I already tried the dragging and dropping from window to window - but it wasnt possible... no doubt because this is a .rar file and is not executable.

This may be only for Mac users, a pity because its a sweet idea.

PS; Lee will check out your site as i have had problems with .rar files before :)

azathothgr
02-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Rar and zip files are compressed files. Like containers that need to be opened before you see the actual files in them.
You use an extracting software, like the one mentioned above, or like Winrar, or Winzip, which will open those kinds of files.
In this case, inside the compressed file, there is a folder, which you can extract (usually as simple as dragging it from the extracting software to anywhere you like).
The executables I mentioned are inside there.

Windows XP can handle zip files by default, as 337_lee mentions. You could get the zip he's provided and extract it by right clicking, without using any other software.
It's usually useful to have a generic extraction software, though, as they can handle most if not all types of compressed files you could encounter, and are usually small and free.

Hope this helps =)

337_lee
02-06-2010, 02:29 AM
"I don't have Mac I have Windows XP - no doubt this is the problem..." and "This may be only for Mac users, a pity because its a sweet idea."

Actually, if I understand the posts here, Macs are the only machines it won't work with ... yet

"none of the files I downloaded have the .exe part"

I think you're just having a little trouble extracting the actual files from the compressed rar folder. If you're not familiar with rar files (or any other compressed files), they can be a pain in the you know where.

I'm just guessing, but it sounds to me like you used WinZip and created a compressed or zip file of the original rar file, instead of decompressing or extracting the stuff inside it. I don't know if WinZip even works with rar files... but it might. Rar just isn't a common format for the average Windows user, but it's actually easy to deal with once you have it mastered. :) I use a program called TugZip (free) to handle some of those formats, but there are many others too.

"will check out your site as i have had problems with .rar files before"

The files inside the zip file are the windows executable files - same stuff as in the rar file -just re-packaged. They should work for you. If you still are having trouble, let me know, and I'll try to come up with a different way. Like you said, it is a sweet idea, and it works very well.

Vivien
02-08-2010, 06:24 PM
This is FANTASTIC! I've spent ages trying to find something that I could gather the colours from a painting with but no luck.

I had trouble with the downloaded file when I used Firefox - but I managed to download it with Internet Explorer.

I have made a shortcut to the prog on my desktop and now I can open a folder of my paintings and drop the .jpg over the .exe which creates a .png file in the same folder which I can open in ArtRage3 as a custom colour picker - Magic!:D

Many thanks!!!

Dany51
02-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Dany, I don't have Mac I have Windows XP - no doubt this is the problem...

Lee, none of the files I downloaded have the .exe part which is puzzling because azatho refers to them as executable files fron the get go.
But what i downloaded is what i got :confused:

I already tried the dragging and dropping from window to window - but it wasnt possible... no doubt because this is a .rar file and is not executable.

This may be only for Mac users, a pity because its a sweet idea.Rowena, I work on PC too,
I hope that You did arrived to a good issue,
if not, read another time carefully all the posts on the thread,
You have all the answers you want and is really easy.

I am not very accustomed to the rar files neither
but except that you have to have a software which work with them
(you have a long list in the thread) is not difficult to decompress them .

Tell us if you arrived to make your pickers :)

Sunflower
02-11-2010, 02:29 AM
Hi Rowena,

RAR is like ZIP, it's a means of compressing the file. WinZip can't read the RAR file, but the free program 7-zip can! You can download 7-zip from http://www.7-zip.org/

I had a problem downloading because I thought the link was to the file itself. It turned out the link was a link to a webpage which had a link to the file on it. So first click on the link to go to the Google site, then save the file under the second link on that page.

franc
02-20-2010, 06:09 PM
I have downloaded and unzipped the custompicker program to my colors folder successfuly..But when I drop any color folder to either of the exec.folders I get a "flash of what seems to be the program operating" but no *png (picker) folder appears anywhere.?????
Very frustrating.:confused:

bebraw
02-20-2010, 06:23 PM
franc: Before dragging image/file to the executable, try copying it into the same directory. <edit>Nevermind. It seems to output the palette based on the path of the input. So there is no need to copy files anywhere. Just drag and drop.</edit>

It probably would be a good idea to provide some sort of README with the app. :)

franc
02-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Tried that one Bebraw !! Thanks anyway. Wish I could get this application to work. It would be very useful.:confused::confused:

Technogranny
02-27-2011, 07:45 AM
I love Artrage on my iPad. If I have any complaints it is the limited color palette. I have no idea, based on the posts how to get the Winsor Newton palette onto my Artrage app. If anyone can explain it to( in spite of my name) technically challenged intuitive painter...I will be so grateful.

pinkpanther
04-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Thank you very much for this..
i have tried that on some .col files ..i have not created them..art supplies..just made these color pickers..total 24 of them..

pinkpanther
04-06-2011, 06:27 PM

pinkpanther
04-06-2011, 06:29 PM

pinkpanther
04-06-2011, 06:32 PM

pinkpanther
04-06-2011, 06:34 PM

JMMK
10-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I bought recently the 3.5.3 version so that’s the reason for looking old and new posts in the form. (and the late reaction).
My problem with the colorpicker was that I was trying it in TotalCommander.
Then I went to Windows Explorer, and immediately it works great.
So for all late finders of the colorpicker, start with the Windows Explorer.

pkasco
12-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Hi Rowena,
no doubt azathothgr can give a more complete answer
but the simple one is :

unzip the .rar file in a folder and you have in there two executable
(read my precedent post about it),
call the folder custompicker,

I have it in my Colors folder in Art Rage folder :)

all you have to do is to find all (or what you want to have as pickers)
your .col collection from the Resources folder and bring them in that folder,
then one by one drop them on the executable,
you will see the pickers show up one by one,
then bring back the .col files to their place and the pickers to the pickers folder.

Hope this will help !:)

Hi Danny,

Long time since you last posted this. As others have said, I'm not a programmer either. I've tried to do as you mentioned and it simply does not work. When you say "drop them on the executable" are you saying drag and drop on the executable file?

I suspect there is something to do with "python," which I have no clue what that is. If I simply run the executable file I get an error saying "this application has failed to start because python26.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem." In my case, re-installing does not, in fact, solve the problem.:(

All I'm really looking to do is create a picker with a standard set of colors that I always paint with in real life. That's it.

Sorry for being a dummy and thanks! :)

kaiko
02-09-2013, 01:25 PM
... All I'm really looking to do is create a picker with a standard set of colors that I always paint with in real life. That's it....

Hi Pkasco,
I was just facing that situation of yours, to create a picker with a standard set of colours that I will be using in real life. And I was wondering if you manage to succeed with this?

I am starting plein air paintings and have decided to give a try to the Scott Christensen´s limit palette, and would really love to have it on ArtRage. But I don't understand how to do that (is not to pick a red colour, for example, but to pick a "bright red" from Windsor&Newton specific colour, and so on.

The "Custom picker utility" (on page http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?26914-Custom-picker-utility) doesn't work, I mean I am not able to download it (uses firefox and Explorer), and Sammy (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?24064-Real-Oils-Palette) made a palette that has real pigments for oil artists and I would like to convert it to a colour picker.

Well, hope you are still around.

Thank you for any tip.

Someonesane
02-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Sammy (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?24064-Real-Oils-Palette) made a palette that has real pigments for oil artists and I would like to convert it to a colour picker.

Thank you for any tip.

Any image can be used as a color picker. With the .col file you've linked to, you could get away with just taking a screen shot of the samples panel and using it within your Color Picker. If the size of the squares are to small, you could sample the color from the samples panel and use the Ink Pen to create dabs of the colors, which you could then export as a PNG image to use with the Color Picker. I've actually made a Sticker Spray preset which makes single dots for this, so that I can easily move them around as single stickers and arrange them nicely within a stencil I made that is an outline of the color picker area. If you don't feel like doing it yourself at the moment, just save and use either of the examples below (which are sampled from the .col link you provided).

Here's an example where I just took a screen shot of the Samples panel, and resized it to fit within the color picker panel.

Here's an example where I sampled the colors. I used my sticker spray to make dots and then arranged them to fit into the panel better:

kaiko
02-13-2013, 04:51 AM
... just save and use either of the examples below (which are sampled from the .col link you provided)

THANK you so much for the help! Your explanation is very good indeed, and you took time to do the work for me. Fantastic!
Well, after following your indications, I tried to do the whole thing. I managed to select the new colour-picker from my disk (the one that you provided on the example).
And after a while experimenting with mixing colours, I realized that I needed just a few of them, so I changed it. At the end it was kind of easy (you know, when you already know something it is easy :) )

Well, thank you for your help on this.

[(While I was mixing colours I realized something that I did not know about "real colour blending" function on the colour panel. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do more realistic mixing (like traditional oils paints) when "real colour blending" function is off.
I always had this function ON. I knew that if I mixed yellow + blue I will get a green that had its brightness inaccurated for the real world. So it has been a bit tricky to work on oils on AR.
(that made me tried CorelPainter. I almost put ArtRage on the box :) but the complexity of CorelPainter made me realized that it was not for me. So I returned to ArtRage)
As I was saying, trying with this function OFF, the colours seems to me to be more accurate related to the real colours on traditional mediums.

In the end I would like to know what is the real purpose of the Real colour blending? only for digital work? ] EDITED: I found the solution on the ArtRage´s Manual.

Thank you for any help related to this concern. I would really appreciate that.

For me ArtRage is unbeatable!... SOOOOOOO easy to use and to customize that we can work without knowing too much of its power

FANTASTIC!
CONGRATULATIONS to ArtRage team!

[if you manage to add a time control function, like for doing simple animations, that will be more than good! :)]

kaiko
02-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Hi all ArtRagers,

I would like some help from you, if you know this, or just point me to the right post if this same question was answered before.

I am struggling to understand how do I load a user Colour Picker and turns it to be the default picker every time I open ArtRage? I mean, everytime I open AR the colour picker is already loaded.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thank you

Someonesane
02-14-2013, 04:20 PM
how do I load a user Colour Picker and turns it to be the default picker every time I open ArtRage? I mean, everytime I open AR the colour picker is already loaded

There is no way to keep user created color pickers loaded in the color picker. You have to manually load them in each time. A workaround is to load the color picker, then save the painting and use that .PTG file as your shortcut to opening the program. Doing this will ensure that the user created color picker you want will be opened with ArtRage. Just be sure to use the "save as" option, so you don't overwrite the file.

kaiko
02-15-2013, 03:12 AM
Hi Someonesane,

I am glad for your help. Thank you

As I am used to work on different images before I finish them, your workaround is the solution for a better working.
So, I have done what you are referring, but something is missing, from me of course. I am not able to have my custom picker loaded when I click on the .PTG file !

As ArtRage saves folders on different parts of the disk, I opened both two and paste the folder named "Paleta Limitada" with my custom picker inside it. Then when to open ArtRage, choose my custom picker from the disk, save the image using "save as", and then re-open it without any result
C:\Users\Carlos\AppData\Roaming\Ambient Design\ArtRage\Resources\Pickers\Paleta Limitada
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ambient Design\ArtRage 4\Resources\Pickers\Paleta Limitada

Have got any idea what is going on?

philippecmartin
04-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Hi,

Quite a few years later I find this post and amazing utility (which still runs on my Windows 8).

Many thanks (from a Python programmer ;) ).

Regards,

Philippe

wschweizer
05-28-2015, 09:01 PM
thanks for this! works with win 8.1

I made a few pickers from color palettes from the forums

complete zip file with 20 pickers available for download from
https://app.box.com/s/3l1pxca7ypwv52thqjyv7jb87ymsoikn

wschweizer
06-09-2015, 06:37 AM
I made more pickers using the program.
Free download at
http://schweizerarts.deviantart.com/art/Color-Scales-Pickers-for-Artrage-537802328

Enug
04-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Bumping! Check out the first post of this thread by member azathothgr . https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?26914-Custom-picker-utility&p=269979#post269979

I have spent a happy hour or so playing with this amazing little programme which converts photos/images into colour pickers for AR.

Enug
10-02-2021, 01:26 PM
Bumping this up again.

This amazing script which converts photos/images into colour pickers for AR, works also with ArtRage Vitae.

(My next painting).