PDA

View Full Version : "whoo-ha!!"

Sketchism71
01-30-2010, 10:30 PM
"Say hello to my little friend!"

This is WAY outside my comfort zone but I was inspired by Hanzz and everyone else here who has mastered this complex art (which I now have even a higher level of respect for) to give it a go!

I need a lot of work but it was a great learning experience! Thanks for checking it out!:D:D Attached also is the pic I used as a reference of him.

Raybrite
01-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Looks good but, is he a smoker?:):)

iceaxe
01-30-2010, 10:43 PM
This looks better than the reference! :):D:)
Have no idea how long this would take?

arenhaus
01-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Not so shabby.

The right cheek needs a bit more work, and I'd suggest a less flat background, and a bit lighter one behind the hair, for contrast.

Sketchism71
01-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks Ray! He has a cigarette in quite a few pics I saw of him... I don't know if he smokes in real life.:)

Thank you iceaxe! This took me around 2 1/2 hours tonight. I will probably keep working on it though. :D

Thank you arenhaus! Great suggestions and yes, that background was thrown on rather fast without much thought. :D

Evart
01-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Hey sketch, this looks just like 'em. Outstanding job!

Andrea
01-30-2010, 11:37 PM
I am not a fan of caricatures but you did a great job on this piece! I love the rendering and I think you could paint great stuff using that technique :)

Caesar
01-31-2010, 12:53 AM
Your lot of work left seems to me to be just devising some technique for polishing it and making perfect details and outline, nothing really fundamental or capable to improve the character depiction. All the essential was already perfectly captured and no fine tuning or iper-realistic, authomatic procedure and trick could ever substitute this kind of artistic sensitivity ...

Alexandra
01-31-2010, 01:01 AM
Eddie, I am impressed. He is one of my favorite actors, and you painted him so well! :)

RobertSWade
01-31-2010, 02:15 AM
GULP!!! :eek::eek::eek:
Freekin' good Eddie! :)

flyashy
01-31-2010, 03:48 AM
Whoa Sketch!!
Did you just raise the bar..??
:D :D :D
So cool!!

Bobbi
01-31-2010, 03:53 AM
This is goooood! Caricatures cannot be easy. You have captured the essence of character in the man's face. Seems to me that that is the art in caricatures, capturing the soul, if you will. Basic portrait painting captures the look of a person, but caricature captures the feel of a person. Well done!!

byroncallas
01-31-2010, 03:55 AM
Yo Sketch. I've missed a lot here recently with little time to check out the threads. I hope I haven't missed others of yours. But this was at the top of the thread this morning and was a hoot to stumble upon. Wonderful first entry in the genre - one I understand IS really hard to master. I think Hanzz might be willing to take you on as an apprentice?? This reeks with natural talent begging to be molded. :):):):):)

coops
01-31-2010, 04:05 AM
Wow, thats brilliant Sketch:)

alkratzer
01-31-2010, 04:09 AM
Great stuff Sketch!

mannafig
01-31-2010, 05:18 AM
That's Terrific Sketch:):)

SCP
01-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Robert put it really well!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Freakin awesome Sketch! Right on the money,no need for a photo.Great work Eddie!:):):):):)

Juz
01-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Wow Sketch, you're amazing :eek::eek::cool::cool:
Fabulous likeness, can instantly recognise who it is. Gorgeous paint job.:):) Can't wait to see what Hanzz thinks

AT-TA
01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
As Ceasar says, Sketch. Anyway as a first it is very good... keep on polishing.I"ll be watching...

Sketchism71
01-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Thank you Evart! He has some pretty great features for this.:)

Thank you Andrea! I really appreciate your comment about the technique. I feel more pleased by that than I do the overall image... THANK YOU!:):)

Thank you Caesar! I certainly wasn't out for anything close to perfection on this... Just wanted to get my hands a little dirty. It's a challenging process but I did enjoy it!:)

Thanks Sandra! He is an awesome actor! One of my favorites too!:)

Awesome comment Robert! So little said so very much... Thank you!!!:)

Thanks Fly! No where near any type of bar setting here... I was just happy it ended up resembling him!:)

Thank you Bobbi! It was challenging for me but in a good way. Very fun to do. I have been looking at people in a different way all day today...lol!!!:)

Thank you Katie for the comment!:)

Thanks Al for the comment and for checking it out!:)

Thank you Mannafig!:)

Right on Scott! Thank you so much! That means a lot to me coming from you!:)

Thank you dear Juz! You make my day bright!:)

I will polish AT-TA. Art as you well know is never ending polishing! Thank you!;):)

hanzz
01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
If this is really your first, which I seriously doubt, it is jawdropping.

You have the eye on where to exaggerate.
I never doubted your rendering qualities , so the drawing and the rendering together make for a top work.
Of course the way of exaggerating is a skill in itself, and still needs much practise, but this is such a great step in the right direction, welcome to the fun side !:cool::cool:

Sketchism71
01-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Byron, I just realized I skipped you right over in my thank you's! I was at work when I was replying so I was a tad bit distracted! Thank you for checking it out! Sounds like things are as crazy busy for you as they have been for me lately. Hopefully it will all settle soon! Thanks for the comment!:):)

Hanzz, thank you my friend! My respect for you and your art was high before but now it is at a whole new level. I spent some time on your blog and immersed myself in this world of caricatures. What a fascinating art it is and what a fantastic artist you are.

This truly is my first real attempt. I have had many many normal portrait paintings accidentally turn into caricatures in the past but this one I did on purpose...lol! I guess there has always been an intimidating factor for me with this art. I have always felt there was a secret equation shared by the caricature masters of how and where to exaggerate features (maybe there is). To be able to do this and maintain the true look of the person. There is a lot to think about on these. It is an art, it's entertainment, and can very much be a statement. I am fascinated by it and do wish to learn more about it. Thank you so much for checking it out, that means a lot to me!:D:D

hanzz
02-01-2010, 06:49 AM
I look forward to seeing more.
If needed, you know where I am...;)

MarkL
02-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Ha ha, excellent. Caricatures are something I would really like to try.

Valerie
02-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Wow this is great.

justjean
02-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Haven't a clue who he is (I'm not much up on celebrities) but from the photo to the cartoon it is great :D

carlcath
02-01-2010, 08:57 AM
A realism caricature. I identified him right off. Good job.