PDA

View Full Version : Visit at the crash site

Andrea
01-30-2010, 05:29 AM
Speed painting of a young space-force lieutenant paying a visit to the place where an army cargo crashed.

Likoum
01-30-2010, 05:32 AM
Love it !!
But for unknown reason, I have hard time to figure out where is the lieutenant. Maybe for composition purpose, it would have been best if he were not in the middle of the painting or if he was more outlined by something (I do not know what, perhaps color effect or by something that catch the eye).

cloudhead
01-30-2010, 05:34 AM
brilliant. Love your style.

justjean
01-30-2010, 05:38 AM
Love the colours in this

coops
01-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Brilliant painting Andrea, so well painted:)

barnburner
01-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Super job. I like it.

Sketchism71
01-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Another fantastic one... I love your work!

ScottF
01-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Wonderfully done!

Cycles4Fun
01-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Great painting, I find myself scanning the wreckage.

I have noticed you call it "speed painting", what is that? I've not heard this before. Is this a painting you do in a specified amount of time or does it simply mean that you do it quickly?

JOSEPHINE.EARP
01-30-2010, 11:07 AM
I think I found the lieutenant,Wounderful painting .Best wishes Jo x

Andrea
01-30-2010, 11:12 AM
@everyone : thanks a lot for the great feedback!

@Cycles4Fun : well a speed painting is a painting where you try to define the main concept as quickly and effectively as possible. While on a "complete" painting you usually refine shapes and volumes and details aiming to a polished look, in a speed painting what you care more is to lay down the concepts fast & in an understandable way. Note : on net you can also find people using the term speed painting when talking about time lapse videos, which is quite wrong -- a "time lapse" painting is basically a video showing the making of any painting, and it is a mistake to call it speed painting since that term was born for defining something else. But ignorance is a fact and nowadays there is a lot of people using the term speed painting when referring to time lapse videos.

Andrea
01-30-2010, 11:15 AM
the lieutenant is the guy in the center of the painting -- we see his back since he is walking toward the crashed plane -- he wears a rich uniform with a huge mantle and on his left hands he holds is helmet :)

Cycles4Fun
01-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like a very challenging way to paint.

Andrea
01-30-2010, 11:20 AM
I always loved it and I am putting myself into learning it :)

Valerie
01-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Andrea this is outstanding

DMerchen
01-30-2010, 12:27 PM
This is great, love this style of painting.

Evart
01-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Awesome painting!

Juz
01-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Love your loose style.. the broken pieces of the ship look amazing :):)

mannafig
01-31-2010, 05:31 AM
Amazing:):)

Andrea
01-31-2010, 06:29 AM
Thanks a lot Valerie, DMerchen, Evart, Juz, Mannafig :)

ARTGEEK
02-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Amazing.. SCi fi fan and i love your work and can't wait to see more. Wish I could paint scenes like this!!! Brilliant work!

Alexandra
02-01-2010, 08:56 AM
WOW! Fantastic Andrea!:)

Andrea
02-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks a lot ArtGeek and Alexandra! :)

acd
02-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Great work:cool: The style reminds me a little of Sparth's work. You're probably familiar with his stuff. In case you're not, and for the benfefit of others, you can see his work here: http://www.sparth.com/

Anyway, really good stuff Andrea,

A.

Andrea
02-02-2010, 02:08 AM
Sparth is one of my fav digital painters indeed, and one of the few I deeply esteem (together with Rainart, which is also a very kind person, Craig Mullins, John Wallin and few others). At the moment I am far from Sparth's amazing quality, but I am slowly improving :) Thanks A LOT for your comment mate :)

Eileen724
02-02-2010, 05:32 AM
I am just in awe of this kind of painting style and your incredible artistic ability, Andrea! It totally fascinates me and pulls me right into it. It's rich and dramatic and makes me want to see more and more! I am not familiar with Sparth's work so I did visit his website and was profoundly affected by his sheer artistic talent. You are doing Sparth's work a real tribute and for me, you seem pretty darn close to his ability, Andrea! I can't wait to see more of your sci-fi work!!!

Andrea
02-02-2010, 06:20 AM
Eileen you are very kinda and I am glad you appreciate my little ArtRage experiments! I wish one day I can be as good as Sparth, but right now I don't think I am even 20% of his amazing skills.. the road to improve is long and a lot of passion and patience are needed :)

ogside
02-09-2010, 02:04 AM
well a speed painting is a painting where you try to define the main concept as quickly and effectively as possible. While on a "complete" painting you usually refine shapes and volumes and details aiming to a polished look, in a speed painting what you care more is to lay down the concepts fast & in an understandable way. Note : on net you can also find people using the term speed painting when talking about time lapse videos, which is quite wrong -- a "time lapse" painting is basically a video showing the making of any painting, and it is a mistake to call it speed painting since that term was born for defining something else. But ignorance is a fact and nowadays there is a lot of people using the term speed painting when referring to time lapse videos.

Hi Andrea,
I've been looking for topics and pictures about speedpainting for a few weeks. I was particularly looking for scifi scenes. And so I reached some places like CGSOCIETY, deviantart, cfsl.net and blogs like sparth's one... I discovered that a lot of people who does speedpainting works a lot with photoshop. But I'd like to stay with artrage which I find very simple and effective. So looking for speed painting + artrage gave me few answers till I found your website which I like a lot. I'm very keen with that concept of suggesting with few details.
I'm happy now to find you here in artrage's forum because I hope you could ask to this important question for me: Can we do such effects like Sparth's and yours with artrage ? Well I got the answer when I discovered your website (the answer is YES )but I have new questions now : As it seems, using photoshop means specific tools like light effects on layers and mixing properties of that layers (see velvetcat's video too youtube.com/watch?v=B3twkWbS42k&feature=related ) . As I discovered AR3 reaches that capabilities of PS which are completed by the new brushes.

Well, all that speech to ask you : can you tell us through a WIP how to make these effects ? It could help us even if I know software doesn't make all the work and I know I have to pratice a lot to reach talent like yours.
See you

Andrea
02-09-2010, 02:59 AM
@ogside :

thanks for your words, I'm really just learning to speed paint and to use ArtRage (I used Painter and Photoshop most of the time, but for doing a more "finished" kind of paintings) and I am still far from being good or showing a good talent at the moment :)

I'm trying to understand what is a good way for speed painting with ArtRage and (as I wrote in other threads here) I am writing a little PDF where I collect the ideas I had and the "discoveries" I made; I am also thinking to record a video or to post some WIP images.

Talking about techniques, there are basically 3 approaches to speed painting : the simple round brush, the custom brushes and the mix of those two techniques.

The simple round brush is the standard Photoshop brush : a lot of wonderful speed paintings were created using only that. That brush is working so great cos of the way Photoshop manages the opacity of the stroke, which is quite unique. It is sadly not possible to mimic that brush behavior with the current ArtRage tools. A famous artist that created beautiful art using Photoshop standard brushes (round one and few other standard ones) is Craig Mullins, which we can consider as the father of digital painting and speed painting.

The custom brushes are composed of a bitmap (that represents the tip of the brush) and a vast amount of brush dynamics. Both Photoshop and Painter are having a very complete and versatile brush engine (Photoshop's one being slightly better and more complete) that allows us to create all kind of custom brushes. Custom brushes are a way for painting various subjects in less time and obtaining a distinctive defined look which would require more time and skills to reach, if not using custom brushes. The custom brush technique was pioneered by amazing guys like Sparth, Rainart, Barontieri and so on.

There is obviously the chance of mixing those techniques, using custom brushes only when they are truly needed and using a simple brush for the rest of the painting : I think this can bring the nicer results since you don't have a look that is too much burdened by tons of custom brushes and details, but you also add more variety than the one you get using only the standard round brush. But everything depends on artist skills of course, more than on the tool being used.

Most people is using Photoshop cos its brush engine gives the wider range of possibilities and cos it is a very fast and reliable software.

Speed painting depends on the way the artist can analyze and simplify the concepts; it depends on painting skills; it depends on the amount of visual knowledge the artist collected. And some more parameters. It does depend on the tool we use only concerning the confidence we have with that tool : Craig Mullins would paint superb art even using Microsoft Paint, I am pretty sure of this.

That being said, a tool is still important, cos having a tool that allows us to express ourselves better is crucial for improving faster. ArtRage is a very different software from Photoshop and even from Painter, cos it has far less features and it is driven by another kind of user experience. I am trying creating custom brushes to mimic Photoshop ones (and so to also mimic Sparth's technique) but some important features that are present in Photoshop's engine are missing in ArtRage's one, so the range of possibilities is more restricted.

I created some ArtRage custom brushes (or stickers as they call em) that I use quite often for my painting activities, and I'll release em for everyone to play with em, as soon as I finish tweaking them.

I am sorry for the huge huge post, but there is a lot to say and I'm quite fast typing :D

I hope I answered some of your questions anyway, have a nice time :)

(I attach a fast test I did to show the differences between Photoshop rond brush and a sticker made to mimic it)

D Akey
02-09-2010, 03:06 AM
You have a really nice palette that would work in monochrome accented by bits of sharp color. It works so very well for describing volume with a strong immediate impact. . . NOT the kind to accidentally crash your extra-terrestrial vehicle. NASA has determined that the crash was quite deliberate on the part of the artist. :eek::D

Great sci-fi material.

Dany51
02-09-2010, 03:11 AM
I find your painting very elaborated, not that much speed painting
but probably all is in the experience and memory.:):):):)

ogside
02-09-2010, 03:59 AM
@Andrea
Thank you Andrea, that's interesting a lot ! it is a great great start for me.

Craig Mullins would paint superb art even using Microsoft Paint, I am pretty sure of this.
I absolutly agree with you, and the shortcut people usually make : If you want good digital painting you must use photoshop.
No, the tool doesn't make the art and the talent ! even if PS is a great tool and if it does some other tools don't.

(I attach a fast test I did to show the differences between Photoshop rond brush and a sticker made to mimic it)
this is the felt pen I guess, isn't it ?

I'm dying to look at your pdf !

Andrea
02-09-2010, 04:16 AM
I am glad I helped a bit :)

It is not the felt pen, it is a custom sticker I did.