PDA

View Full Version : Studying values

Andrea
01-29-2010, 01:24 PM
I am lately doing a lot of monochromatic studies, aiming to improve my values understanding, which happens to be one of my greatest enemies while painting :D

I thought to post 2 of those doodles. First one, rocks (I always had problems painting em, but I am slowly learning) :

Andrea
01-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Second one, a speed painting of a sci-fi vehicle :

Eileen724
01-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Well, Andrea, I think your studying of the monochromatic values have paid off because I see nothing wrong with either of these two doodles! As a matter of fact, I am in awe of your blending of the sci-fi vehicle to create that glossy/shiny affect. It's wonderful! I think you did a pretty job on those rocks as well and they look pretty realistic to me.

Andrea
01-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks a lot Eileen :) I am not very happy with the vehicle but as I said they are just sketches done for improving myself :P

In case someone cares to know :
- the background is done using some custom stickers I created
- most of the painting is done with the basic oil
- most of the blending is done with a custom palette knife

Thanks for watching :)

flyashy
01-30-2010, 02:01 AM
Hi Andrea,
These look quite brilliant!
I found a spot in the vehicle which could increase the authenticity and used your drawing to sketch over. I hope you don't mind. I am posting it here.
I just worked on the top edges and gave them a little curve so they disappear behind the dark glass(?). It might help perceive the ship as more 3D object.

Again I hope you don't mind me taking this liberty but I thought this might help :)

Andrea
01-30-2010, 02:54 AM
@flyashy : of course I don't mind, I am glad you did it :) Your mod is quite interesting indeed, but it looks to me that it is "turning" the model some degrees, so that it is not seen by side anymore .. ?

anyway your mod looks quite good, I guess I could try to do something in that line for improving that sketch :)

Alexandra
01-30-2010, 03:01 AM
Andrea-this is wonderfully painted. I hope to be able to paint as well, but there is much practice for me this year!:)

Caesar
01-30-2010, 03:22 AM
This thread is a valuable vehicle for valid volume and value studies .....:):D

Andrea
01-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Thanks Alexandra and Caesar, you are all so kind! :)

I guess that vehicle is not so valuable, it has some serious aerodynamic issues :D:D:D

flyashy
01-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Oh Okay, now I get it, your image was a orthogonal side view and hence the way you'd worked out the top.
I guess it was the lower afterburners(?) which are at an angle to the view that made it appear as if the ship was at an angle to me.
:)