PDA

View Full Version : Leda and the Swan

Caesar
01-26-2010, 04:17 AM
A watercolour made classical mythological imaginary scene.
The first version is signle layer, the second one I switched on a base layer with the previously semi-finished layer I keptin case of need or back-up.

Likoum
01-26-2010, 04:41 AM
Very very nice !

coops
01-26-2010, 05:16 AM
Wow Cesare, that swan is terrific, mine you, all of the painting is terrific. Great work Cesare:)

Alexandra
01-26-2010, 05:39 AM
Beautiful painting Cesare, you are a master with many paints, especially the watercolors. I like the vibrancy of the second one, but both are wonderful.

barnburner
01-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Great job. I really like it.

ScottF
01-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Caesar, a great painting of a great myth! Now I want to find my collection of W.B. Yeats (the great Anglo-Irish poet) and reread his version.

AT-TA
01-26-2010, 07:36 AM
This is an eyepleaser, Ceaser, lovely scene, colors and subjects. One of your best...i love it. Btw. i love geese and swans and whenever i can i stick them into my pictures. So... this is my cup of tea, so to speak. :)

justjean
01-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Beautiful wc painting, I would sure love to be able to paint like this :)

jonwood
01-26-2010, 08:52 AM
lovely water colour...

mannafig
01-26-2010, 09:07 AM
:eek:Unbelievable dear Cesare she is absolutely gorgeous I love that firey red hair too. The swan is so graceful and beautiful you have done a fabulous job with these really love it:):)Can't decide wich version I prefere though:D

Lima
01-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Wonderful. Stunning images Caesar. Good art.:eek:

Caesar
01-26-2010, 11:13 AM
The relevant myth is just one one Zeus (Juppiter) loves affairs with mortal beauties. In many cases he disguised his appearance not to frighten those virgin with his glory or as a trick to elude protections around them ... and also avoid being discovered by his jealous and vindictive wife Hera, who tended to persecute his lovers and their sons ...

Thank You, dear Likoum! This is just a revival across the old good classical Italian painting school. The main difference, apart the far more modest artistic value, is that I sketched and painted it in very few hours, two layers and no preparation apart from a simple, outlined sketch and not for few months or even few years, to lay many transparent glazes, as it happened to the great masters of centuries ago.

I'm absolutely glad You like ti so much, dear Katie! Thank You.

Dear Sandra, the watercolours are particularly challenging, but , whenever You're successful with them, also delight You in the most surprising way as no other tool.:rolleyes::)
It's a little bit like with ladies, especially the discreet, charming, intelligent and sensitive ones.;):) Thank You.

Thank You, dear Barnburner! Maybe a little ancient as subject and style, but at least colourful as inspired by classical Venitian painters school.

Dear Scott, I hope You found Yeats version of this Greek myth (first visible paintings thereabout dates back to the Roman Imperial age). In the meanwhile I summarised very few words telling of this myth on top. Thank You!

Dear AT-TA, I like roast game too (not with the tea though)!:D I'm kidding. Thank You!

I'm sure You'll soon paint artpieces like this one, dear Justjean, Your own way and style, but not less valuable than this one. Have faith and thank You!

Thank You, dear Jonwood! I love to read Your threads titles and see the witty vignettes You post!

So this might be an hair dye You can test, dear Amanda! :D Glad You enjoyed this scene. Thank You!

A little too manieristic perhaps, dear Oriane, but it was fun to paint nonethess. Thank You!

mannafig
01-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Hehehe thanks Cesare but iv'e already been that colour:D:D

alkratzer
01-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Beautiful work C. The watercolor tool on my version of AR3 is possessed by the devil and won't do a thing I want! You have it mastered.

Evart
01-26-2010, 12:53 PM
very nice :D

Alexandra
01-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Cesare, I wish that you would consider illustrating a mythology book!

Caesar
01-27-2010, 01:13 AM
Ohh, dear Amanda, I'm so sorry ... I didn't realize it was You then feeding the swan at the park ...:D:p:)

Dear Alkratzer, I think I just mastered around some settings andused it mostly with the wet-on-wet technique or quite thinned dry-on-wet with generally wet paper. These watercolours don't allow the same procedure than the real ones in some cases and You canot use gravity, so You have to adapt. If I may give You two tips, make some experiment by outiling the drawing and its patches and use the selection to paint the various parts only masking the rest. Mistakes or areas where there's already some colour and wouldn't allow You to overpaint darkening the tone, may be treated removing colour by eraser and the paint over it again...
I hope I was useful a little bit with watercolour... as exorcist at least....:D
Thank You.

Thank You, dear Evart!

Dearest Sandra, I would consider any of Your wishes for sure and, someway, I already did several paintings on mythological subjects in the past (it used to be a great painting national tradition too).
Anyway my previous pieces had quite different styles though and a group of them also some humouristic departure from the traditional narration, possibly unveiling a paradixical truth instead. So the whole is not so homogeneous, stylistically and content-wise to be collected in a book.
I should re-start in case.
Should I ever think of an original, unique version of the Greek-Roman mythology, well, it would be really great to have the mates in here playing the various characters.:D

mannafig
01-27-2010, 03:34 AM
Hahahaha I have been known to in the past I just usually have a lot more covering me then the spread of a swans wings:D:D

flyashy
01-27-2010, 04:00 AM
Great subject, brilliant execution!!
This one's a remarkable painting Caesar!!

Caesar
01-27-2010, 04:22 AM
What a pity, dear Amanda .... for the swan I mean ...:D

Dear Flyashy, as You certainly know, this scene was quite popular in the past centuries and up to know, I discovered too, surprisingly enough. Thank You!

pai
01-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Very beautiful one, Caesar. Really like her expression and the swan. Especially the brush strokes on the wings. :)

Caesar
01-27-2010, 06:52 AM
Thank You very much, dear Pai! :).... also on behalf of the swan who was very pleased by Your compliments (You know, he shows those wings for courtship;)):D

mannafig
01-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Cheeky:p:D:D

Docsmith626
01-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Perhaps Europa next? I can picture the bug-eyed expression on her face. (I know. Bad, Robert! Bad.) :p

foxytocin
01-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Doc, that was worth a chuckle!
Caesar, this is a jewel....just plain gorgeous.

Caesar
01-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Ops, pardon my impudence, madame Amanda! :D:p

Dear DocBob, please go on and put on the scene Europa's kidnap. Big titles.
Starring: Zeus as a magnificent white bull!
Zeus was a real Rascal. If America would have been discovered as well at that time, he would have kidnapped her too...:D
Thank You!

Dear Foxy, I'm glad my painting pleased You! Thank You very much, my floreal and smiling friend!

paul_uk7
01-28-2010, 01:20 AM
Amazing beautiful painting.

Caesar
01-28-2010, 01:58 AM
Thank You for the compliments, dear Paul!