PDA

View Full Version : Al Kratzer's Color Paintings Step-By-Step

alkratzer
01-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Here's a quick tutorial that shows my method for painting in ArtRage. Many people have commented on my style, and at some point I'll do a post that will explain my thoughts on color and style and hopefull spark a discussion of the development of style. After seeing so many different approaches in these forums I think we could all gain a LOT of insight hearing how each other's style developed.

alkratzer
01-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Last piece

alkratzer
01-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Sorry about the way this is split up -- click on the thumbnails and zoom in to full size in your browser to read the copy

Al

Juz
01-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Wonderful approach, great result, love your use of hot and cold colour, thanks for sharing :):)

Sketchism71
01-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Awesome Al!:eek: Great tutorial, thank you!:D:D

Jules
01-24-2010, 11:37 PM
As you know I love your work, a wonderful tutorial many thanks for adding it, glad you did. Now, this means I can have a go too :D:cool:

As for style, im struggling to keep one, I swap and change depending on how I feel. I wish I could just stick to one like you and get a little portrolio together.

Jules
01-25-2010, 02:36 AM
Ok I did a similar style painting see bassist, I used a different technique though ;)

Rob in Denver
01-25-2010, 04:39 AM
I have been a big fan of your works down in After 9, and I agree with you, they have no offensive qualities, and hardly deserve to be sequestered down there!
I was fascinated to see ( too much effort to read the tiny print!) how you do things. You make what is actually ( to me) a complex process look simple and fresh and, in a good way, easily done, as if you just took a brush and did it all freely in a few moments. Hardly the case!
For those of us who just start tossing pixels at the screen and proceeds to see what happens, it is an interesting peek into what someone with an actual plan can come up with. The answer is wonderful stuff indeed.

alkratzer
01-25-2010, 05:38 AM
Thanks Rob!

To see the tutorial copy, try clicking on the images in the post, they should then load in your browser. If they are still small, see if you can right click and zoom in (PC -- don't know how it works on a mac) Or, if your are really motivated, save the images to your local machine and then you should be able to view them in whatever is your usual JPG viewer.

My process is the outgrowth of a LOT of years chasing my style. (I'm going to do a follow up post on this soon). One of the qualities I love about seeing you and others here in the forum work by "tossing pixels" as you call it is that so much spectacular serendipity results! I should try that kind of play more myself!

Al

Jules
01-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Ok, I had a go at your tutorial, took a little bit of figuring out, think I managed to get a similar style, but then, my own creativity took over. I followed the tutorial word for word.

Finished piece...Dita Von Teaser :D

Full scale image here http://bit.ly/8dDaQk

alkratzer
01-25-2010, 11:29 AM
BRAVO!

I like the adaptation of the method to your purposes and I love the idea of using white lines over the color! (may have to lift that one)

Reminds me of an old story about the two guys who drew Steve Canyon and rival adventure comic strip Terry and the Pirates "borrowing" panel layouts from each other. Milton Caniff said he remembered stealing a layout from the other guy (name escapes me) only to later have him steal his own panel back based on Caniff's rendition.

Lima
01-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Nice. Thanks.

Jules
01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
ive got no more art left in me after that...need a rest hehe :rolleyes::)

kenmo
01-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Hey neat tutorial...

I can see an useage for it already. Fire up Google Sketchup and grab a free 3D model from the Google Warehouse. Render it in Sketchup as a wireframe image. Bring the image into AR and trace over it with the smoothing pen. Then colour it in AR...

Hey... I may have to do this with one of the neat free hot rod or muscle car 3D models in Sketchup...!!!!!

alkratzer
01-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Hey... I may have to do this with one of the neat free hot rod or muscle car 3D models in Sketchup...!!!!!

I'd love to see it!

Thanks

Al

Jules
01-25-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd love to see it!

Thanks

Al

Me too, cant visualize it:)

kenmo
01-26-2010, 03:33 AM
At work now but here is an example of what can be done with the free app Google Sketchup...

This is a free Sketchup model available via the Google Warehouse...

Since this is a 3D model it can be posed and viewed from different angles...

Here's an export of 2 full renderings and an export as a sketch....

Presently at work but Google Sketchup is a good substitute for anyone looking for a reference image. Just find an online 3D model via the Google Warehouse. There's tons of models available, cars, trains, planes, houses, castles, fantasy figures, animals, people, sci-fi stuff, etc...

You don't need the pro version of Sktechup as the free version is more then enough for this type of stuff....

All that needs to be done is import one of the above renders into AR and use one of the tracing tools... Brilliant tutorial Al Kratze...thanks for sharing....

justjean
01-26-2010, 05:11 AM
Nice tutorial but why not just do all the tracing on one layer , it's much easier :D

byroncallas
02-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Ok, I had a go at your tutorial, took a little bit of figuring out, think I managed to get a similar style, but then, my own creativity took over. I followed the tutorial word for word.

Finished piece...Dita Von Teaser :D

Full scale image here http://bit.ly/8dDaQk
Jules, this is TERRIFIC.
and Alkratzer - superb demo of your work.:)

CraftyArtist
10-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks so much for sharing your technique!! I can't wait to give it a spin!