PDA

View Full Version : Impasto oil painting technique

Lima
01-23-2010, 12:17 PM
“Impasto is an art term used to describe thickly textured paint that is almost three-dimensional in appearance.
Using an impasto technique often leaves visible brush strokes in the finished painting. You could almost say impasto is a type of sculpture—but for painters. And on a canvas.
Mostly it involves loading up your brush or painter’s knife with more paint than you’d normally need. Then, instead of “dying” or “scrubbing” the canvas with color, just let the paint squish onto the canvas and sit there.
You don’t want to fiddle with any one spot too much, otherwise you’ll lose that three-dimensional quality by overworking the paint.
Impasto’s a simple way to give an average painting a big boost, so why not challenge yourself to try out impasto in your next painting? If you’ve never really done it before, break out of your comfort zone and pile on the paint!”

I put the technique in the form of self explanatory images. If there is any doubt we can clear up with time.:)

Lima
01-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Continuing ...:)

Lima
01-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Continuing ...:):):)

Lima
01-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Continuing ...:)

Lima
01-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Continuing ...:):):)

Lima
01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Thank you for your attention.:):):)

Dany51
01-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Thank you for this tutorial, I will try to see what I can do myself.
For instant I tryed to work with the settings of your thread:
Thick & flattened paint (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25255)

Knife, frost set, wet, pressure 100%, color drag 100% (falloff, drip size, drip spike and drip spread 0%)

The result for me wasn't as flat as yours in the image,
it was much more frosty, it can be interesting also but how can I obtained the smooth effect ?

To show you what I meant I just did an example and finally obtained the effect when remaining longer on the stroke,
I didn't get it first because I like to work fast and didn't think to the factor time, well here are the image and I imagine there are nothing else to do for the smooth effect than not to be in the hurry,
am I wright ?:o:)

LogicsHere
01-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Thank you so much for this great tutorial on impasto. I would like to see more examples of brush strokes and how they are achieved.

Jules
01-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Heavens bells thats brilliant Oriana! Been trying to work out a cool impasto effect on AR3 lots of tinkering into the early hours.....NAILED :cool:

Mike Severoff
01-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Many thanks, orianelima!

Andrea
01-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Thanks a lot for this tutorial, it was an interesting and useful lecture :)

Stimpy
01-24-2010, 06:02 AM
I like your tutorial very much, orianelima.
It's very clear and the pics says all what is needed to do impastos.
My motivation to paint is now increased again,

Alexmartin
01-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Thank you for great tutorial!

Caesar
01-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Thank You, dear Oriane! I got so enthusiastic about these impasti (the Italian etimology has clearly to do with the process of handmade pasta), that I had to try in half an hour this series of combinations. I hope You find them interesting.

Jim Gahl
01-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Hi,

What you have given us all is a great, helpful gift! You know, I'm sure, about the learning curve associated with new software. For most of us, the software is in control and we can, at best, play until happy accidents happen! Maybe some of us sit back and say..... I wonder what I did to make that happen.

Your gift has now given me the "advantage" over AR... I love the impasto look for real and simulated. I'm ok with it in the for real department, but your help as given me the power (control) to make it happen digitally. And that is very cool! Thanks!!!

Can I buy you a beer! http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

Cordially,

Jim

byroncallas
01-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Oriane, this is outstanding. I love everything about it, but particularly like some of your workarounds dealing with the bump shadow that can plague the lower right trailing edges in the AR lighting effects. Someday I hope AR will give the Artist's options to control the built in lighting direction. But your approach is a good one for dealing with that little problem. And the overall technique illustrations are an entire arsenal of delights for creating all manner of beautiful art with endless possibilities. Just a super job. :):):):)

Juz
01-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Many thanks Oriane, this is extremely thorough and informative :):D:)

mannafig
01-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Congratulations on this truly inspiring tutorial.:):)

Lima
01-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Thank you for this tutorial, I will try to see what I can do myself.

To show you what I meant I just did an example and finally obtained the effect when remaining longer on the stroke,
I didn't get it first because I like to work fast and didn't think to the factor time, well here are the image and I imagine there are nothing else to do for the smooth effect than not to be in the hurry,
am I wright ?:o:)
Yes Dany, you are right:)

Lima
01-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Thank you all very much.:):):)

paul_uk7
01-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Thank you, Orianelima, this tutorial is most helpful, indeed.

cranach09
01-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Thank you. To this day I ignore the tube but I think that will change this weekend :D. Really inspiring. :)

arenhaus
01-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Just for the record, how many layers does it usually take to build up thick paint like that?

wenkat
01-31-2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the lucid tutorial; all examples are self-explanatory!:)

Lima
02-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Wenkat, thank you. You are right. As I said: I put the technique in the form of self explanatory images. Thank you all very much:)

DaveRage
02-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Brilliant tutorial, orianelima! This is really helpful

ScottF
02-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks so much orianelima! I couldn´t figure out how you worked out some of your great paintings. This is a great help--should be placed permanently in the tutorials section for all to find!

Lima
02-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Rose, Dave and Scott thank you for the kind comments.:):):)

Jules
02-07-2010, 12:02 PM
CONGRATULATIONS ORIANE I don't know if you have noticed dear friend that there is a image link to your 'this' impasto thread on the main artrage page :cool: well done.

flyashy
02-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Oriane,
I thought I had thanked you for sharing this BRILLIANT technique but when I went thro the thread I realised I hadn't..oops!
So Thank you very much for sharing such a brilliant techinique & a beautifully done tutorial!!
You are the king of AR Impasto!!

Lima
02-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Jules:cool::), Fly thank you very much:).

Lima
02-22-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm posting some examples of this type of painting. Enlarge the images for a better view.

See also these links, paintings of the artist AT-TA:

All dressed up and ready to go (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27209)

Is this impasto? (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26606)

Jules
02-23-2010, 02:52 AM
Good work Oriane! :eek::cool:

rbissett
02-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Used your settings, squeezed out paint from the tube which I had'nt tried before, spread it around and painted into the wet stuff. Spooky...so much like the real thing.

AT-TA
02-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Oriane, i have not seen the first picture... oh... what to say.. i am out of words... super... out of this world...love your impasto style. That i am not kidding i will post here another pic of mine...must be almost two years old and i didn't know much about the tubes then,but i tried... not perfect but loved the texture they were creating...

Oriane, thank you so much for showing us, me, your how to's, sharing it with us... your time invested this way is very much appreciated.:)Keep up the good work and paint more in this style ,it is so down to earth and cheery... all in one... one can touch it and immerse this way in the scene compleetly... and colors.. we need pretty colors... so cook them up and feed them to us...ok?

Lima
02-26-2010, 01:50 AM
Jules, Rbisset and AT thank you very much:):):).

Lima
02-26-2010, 01:58 AM
Used your settings, squeezed out paint from the tube which I had'nt tried before, spread it around and painted into the wet stuff. Spooky...so much like the real thing.

RBisset, in my opinion you produced a masterpiece of painting. Smooth, elegant, varying the values of color, in a beautiful dreamy image composition that draws our attention. I advise that you publish this painting in the gallery so that it will be best appreciated by all. Congratulations, I am happy that this tutorial is reaching its goal. Thank you for your post.:):):)

Lima
02-26-2010, 02:00 AM
About Byron Callas findings: In Figures 15 and 16 is printed the due credit to some of Byron’s findings. These findings can be better studied and evaluated in Byron Callas Thread - 3D Lighting Bump Issue: Question and Request. (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26160)

Byron Callas, also published the excellent thread: 3D Simulation in ArtRage 3: One Simple Approach, which can be evaluated here: (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26192)

Byron Callas comment about Impasto oil painting technique : “Oriane, this is outstanding. I love everything about it, but particularly like some of your workarounds dealing with the bump shadow that can plague the lower right trailing edges in the AR lighting effects. Someday I hope AR will give the Artist's options to control the built in lighting direction. But your approach is a good one for dealing with that little problem. And the overall technique illustrations are an entire arsenal of delights for creating all manner of beautiful art with endless possibilities. Just a super job”.:):):)

rbissett
02-26-2010, 07:33 AM
RBisset, in my opinion you produced a masterpiece of painting. Smooth, elegant, varying the values of color, in a beautiful dreamy image composition that draws our attention. I advise that you publish this painting in the gallery so that it will be best appreciated by all. Congratulations, I am happy that this tutorial is reaching its goal. Thank you for your post.:):):)

Wow, Thanks! I'm encouraged to go on.

kenmo
02-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Great information...thanks for sharing....

Lima
02-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Kenmo, thank you very much.:)

Ashu bhadauria
03-02-2010, 11:11 AM
very intresting tutorial indeed.:D:D:D

Lima
03-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Ashu thank you really very much:).

Lima
03-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Other examples of this technique:)

Lima
03-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Another little tip.:)

laginou
11-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Wow! Just starting to learn your technique and it is so great!! It will improve a lot my future paintings and, why not my old ones. Thank you so much for your work. :):):)

runningbull
12-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Breathtaking.
The Street is awesome.

The children is just the kind of painting where the strokes couldn't possibly fit together to suggest such an image where it not for the magic.

screenpainter
12-31-2011, 08:14 AM
lots of work went into this Oriane. thank you for the many details on your impasto methods.

JohnnyJ
02-09-2012, 04:15 AM
Wow..just..wow.

I just joined here. And i cant believe you guys! i'm truly inspired!:eek:

mitali
05-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Very good help document for someone whose style is not impasto to begin with. Thanks for taking the effort in making and sharing this material.

Mitali

GaryExo
05-14-2012, 04:01 AM
Very interesting. Thank you.

Rowena
05-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Great techniques and fun use of the tools - love the impasto paintings :D

GregoryK57
11-22-2017, 03:17 AM
GOOD MORNING ALL
Lima-
Thank you so much for the Impasto techniques, the dark shadow using the tube was driving me crazy!