PDA

View Full Version : Speed painting - with knife only (4 paintings)

Briex
01-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Only with large knife, 100% pressure. Done, direct on internet found photos in few minutes.

Enjoy!

byroncallas
01-21-2010, 12:54 PM
It really is quite a wonderful effect Briex. This ain't as easy as you make it seem. It takes a good eye and a good hand to do this well. You seem to have mastered this approach. :)

Valerie
01-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Briex fantastic painting.

Briex
01-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the comments on the first one. A second one is uploaded.

Likoum
01-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Yep, that's wonderfull !

Dany51
01-22-2010, 03:32 AM
I like very much Hopper and for sure I like your technique Briex and also your stability in it, I didn't much comments on your work but I think I saw almost all your paintings and I appreciate them.:)

Valerie
01-22-2010, 07:43 AM
The second one is another winner. Very nice.

Briex
01-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks. No 3 is Little Italy in New York around 1900.

Jasminek
01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Wow, quite impressive, especially the 3rd one. Well done!:D

RobertSWade
01-22-2010, 04:26 PM
The third one speaks with a voice that resonates with the plaque on the Statue of Liberty:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

It's actually part of a larger poem, The New Colossus by Emma Lazarus which, it seems to me, strives to show the difference between the short lived Colossus of Rhodes (one of the seven wonders of the ancient world) and Lady Liberty ... between a show of power and self-importance, and one of optimism and welcome.
Unfortunately, we in America are prone to forgetting just how much we owe to those "huddled masses" who left their "teeming shores" and braved the "tempest-tost" waves of oceans and uncertainty to ultimately build what still struggles to be the land of the free and a beacon of hope not only for it's own citizens but for the world. After more than two and a quarter centuries, we are still a work in progress. Let's hope that we will always be that, for the pursuit of perfection, while an admirable goal, will never be something that needs no further honing.

Alexmartin
01-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Huge inspiration for the rest of us !.
I have not words but hope.

annie_okay
01-22-2010, 05:07 PM
These are quite moving. The evoke a mood far better than any realist type painting could.

JohnT
01-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Enjoyed your speed paints, Briex. Would you give a few details of the process.

Thanks.

alkratzer
01-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I like them all, but I'm really partial to the second -- your use of color is so in key for evoking that 1920's luxury look. I second the motion for a tutorial. I for one could learn a hell of a lot from you good sir. (and that goes for many of your works and styles as well)

Al

Evart
01-22-2010, 06:07 PM
I like them all Briex. The photos look like something from a vintage movie set, well done :)

Briex
01-22-2010, 06:14 PM
To RobertSWade: nice words, I'm impressed. Especially when I look up antique US pictures of daily life. The US nation has worked hard to become the USA as it now is with all its advantages but also disadvantages.

About this speed painting technique: in fact it is quiet simple, I call it the 'ByronCallas' technique and goes as followed. Take a selfmade picture or 'borrow' a picture from internet. First crop the picture to a nice composition that you like. Then import it into ArtRage and work directly on the picture itself, so no layers. Take the knife tool, increase the pressure to 100% and start! In fact it is not painting but 'lubricating' or fading the pixels. It's more a trick than really painting however you have to know how to use the knife well. In those paintings presented here, I knifed very rough (large knife).

It's a fun to work with knife, because it works fast but does not feel like painting: the 'painting' is in fact already made by the photographer. Though it's cool to figure out during the job how far you have to go to make it a less photo picure and get it more as a painting. The final result brings often the pleasure and satisfaction: it's offers more satisfaction to use your own photo material rather than just picking one from the internet...well, in my perception.