PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me how to fill a closed shape in a single step

purplebox
01-18-2010, 02:47 AM
I'm having problems with the fill tool of ArtRage 3 Studio Pro, not doing what I want. I hope one of you can help me make things easier.

When I fill a closed outline with the fill tool, there is pretty much in all cases a thin white line between the outline's inner edge and the filled area. The only workaround I did find is to draw with the ink pen tool with the preset "No Antialiasting". This gives me a pixelated line, and if the shape is closed, its inside can be filled without the unwanted additional thin white line. However, when I select a closed shape (e.g. an eye), copy and paste it, then the pasted shape is anti-aliased again, and a fill gives me an unwanted result when I use the fill tool. I have to redo the eye in a layer on top, erase the original shape and merge the layer with the newly drawn shape with the old layer. That's just too many steps for me.

I know from people who use Corel Painter, that this program doesn't have these issues. It recognized that a shape is closed and fills it without the thin white line.

Is there something I can do within ArtRage to accomplish the same effect with the fill tool, so I can use more brushes than the single one I'm confined to now? I would prefer it to be one step (or a setting in the Preferences), maybe two. The other suggestions I found through a search on this forum involved just too many steps, and took me out my creative zone (I tried some of them).

Juz
01-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi Purplebox, you could try adjusting the 'spread' setting in the top right of the settings panel for the fill tool. A low setting will give less coverage and a high one more coverage.

purplebox
01-24-2010, 11:54 PM
That was the solution, thanks. If I crank up the spread of the fill tool to 99 percent, I get what I want, even if I created an outline with a brush.