PDA

View Full Version : Bob Row's thread. Updated pg.15: 20 years in 3 minutes

Bob Row
01-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Even-though I didn't post in a while, I do read the forums everyday.
Here is one of the few works I completed in Studio Pro. A tribute to the caricature master David Levine, who passed away with the end of 2009.
I hope to post more frequently when AR3 stability get improved with coming patches.

Evart
01-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Cute stuff! :D

hanzz
01-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey that is a great tribute to the giant of caricature masters.
How many caricaturists started out copying his work to learn the ropes ?

I do hope to see more of your work again,as I value your work so high.
But you already knew that.....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool :

Juz
01-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Fabulous, great style, wonderful tribute... love your hatching brush. :)

pai
01-18-2010, 12:16 AM
This is a great tribute and I am glad you have posted this so I get to know this great caricaturist. :)

hanzz
01-18-2010, 02:33 AM
A gallery with the work of levine (http://www.nybooks.com/gallery/gallery-search?q=)

pai
01-18-2010, 04:31 AM
Wow..thanks Hanzz. That's a HUGE gallery over 2000 pieces of his works. Hope this gallery will stay as long as it can even it takes awhile to load them all. It's worth it. :)

Bob Row
01-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks for your kind words pals! I'd like to add that The Master was decisive at an early crossroads in my life just by being so a talented artist who's footsteps to go after (there's a tale of this in my linked blog).

Evelyn: "cute" is a word that fits better the beautiful gallery of yours. Your landscapes got the true style of classical Naif paintings. Go ahead with it.

Hans: That's exactly my point! Levine was for me as Sebastian Kruger may have been for you ("hey! THIS is what I want to do!") Am I wrong?. With the time you develop your own style (I tried to attach myself to his' one for this piece) but the connection always remains there.

Along the last years I always knew of your enthusiasm and determination to improve your natural talent. But until your beta testing performance for AR3 I knew of your deep human empathy. Thank you!

Juz: Thank you and thanks to whoever built those two wonderful time-saving crosshatch brushes. I recommend to use the two combined for a more natural effect.

Pai: In the sixties Levine restored the great caricature tradition of the XIX century (with a modern twist) which had been lost from the twenties through the fifties in favor of more synthetic, sometimes geometric, approaches. Enjoy!

Alexandra
01-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Great caricature artwork.:):):):) I wish I could do this!:mad:

Lima
01-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Bob already knew your work, having previously visited your blog. Your work is spectacular your critical sense, too. I became your fan. A hug from a friend Oriane Lima.

Bob Row
02-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Tried to mix wet and dry watercolors to manage shades.

D Akey
02-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Ah, caricaturists have to love the famous and infamous who looked so unique. Mustache like Saddam, beard like Castro, nose like Prince Charles, eyebrows like Nixon, wild hair like Einstein. . . I mean, these characters just beg to be drawn. . . and quartered sometimes too, or at least lampooned.

Nice image.

Bob Row
02-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Mmmhh...D Akey, I'm starting to see this frankestenian guy. It's a temptation to do his caricature.

Jasminek
02-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I like your works, they are quite expressive, very well done.!:)

Bob Row
02-18-2010, 04:42 PM
For an article on Dilma Roussef, candidate to succeed Brazil president Lula Da Silva, suspected of leftist leaning. A bit progress in managing the watercolors, I think.

justjean
02-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Great work :)

Caesar
02-18-2010, 10:41 PM
No doubt You're a mastyer caricaturist and watercolour/ felt pen!:D:):):)

Lima
02-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Bob, surely you're aware of what is happening here, but I can assure you that is even worse. Your cartoon is very good and like any cartoon speaks for itself. Your watercolor technique is very good.

Bob Row
04-03-2010, 10:06 PM
This one is for an article against the collectivist ethos in the Web 2.0 as in Wikipedia, Google indexing by popularity, etcetera.

I tried a new approach to the watercolors after a while.
As always, my main concern is to find a fast way to do a complete illo with a loose look.
This time I choose to start painting a base color with chalk, then painted over with dry WC, switching the thinner percentage, so to build up from light to dark color.
Dry WC allows me even to do the reverse way in those too heavy areas in need of a lighter touch.
Glitter for the public in the BG and wet palette knife over the dry WC stains in the sky. Thanks for your comments.

Then a glimpse of my simple layers arrangement (sketch, inking, subject, background)

Bob Row
06-23-2010, 12:29 PM
I tried my hand after a while.

Juan Manuel Santos got elected president of Colombia last week.

Hector Timerman was appointed FM of Argentina. A screen grab to show the final stage and the references. I did a simple Levels tweak in the Accorn free app for Mac afterwards.

In my humble opinion, I think I figured out the watercolors engine at last (at least to suit my style).

coops
06-24-2010, 02:50 AM
As always Bob fantastic work:)

Caesar
06-24-2010, 03:46 AM
Mastery and natural talent powerfully matching in Your caricatures, dear Bob! Congrats!

Alexandra
06-24-2010, 03:55 AM
Outstanding style and caricatures Bob!

Bob Row
06-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Thank you Coops, Caesar and Alexandra; It's very kind of you. I know I wasn't very active in the forum lately as it took me a bit to grip the changes in this version. Now I think I'm making some little progressive steps.

Lima
06-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Eres un gran dibujante. La similitud distorsionada por la exageración es perfectamente visible. Felicitaciones. Lima.

Bob Row
06-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Obrigado cara, voce e muito generoso.

(sorry pals, we are exchanging compliments in "portuñol", our mix of Portuguese and Spanish languages)

javier
06-25-2010, 02:44 AM
I like, great job:):D:):)

Lando
06-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Bob I know your work today, but I am curious to visit your blog,
cartoons are not easy to do

Bob Row
06-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Thank you Javier. Gracias.

Lando, you're welcome any time.

eighty+
06-25-2010, 06:08 PM
at a quick flash I thought it was our very own charlie :D hoping to see more must look up on D.L

Mairzie Dotes
06-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Bob Row,
Your notable talent shines through in this caricature. Have always
admired the ability to take a real subject and replicate an artfully
accurate look alike. Excellent work! :)

Bob Row
06-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Eighty+: I'm afraid I didn't understand, what D.L is?

Marzie:Thanks for your kindness. Let me tell you a secret: I used to draw exclusively from imagination until seventeen. I was an awful illustrator for the school tracing transparencies. I refused the discipline of Art studies because I was afraid "to spoil the joy of playing with drawing".
Then, after a big accident (I lost the use of my left arm) and a long convalescence, I surrendered and went to a private school for Commercial Art where I discovered the wonders of drawing from live models. I discovered that the teacher's lessons on anatomy, composition, etcetera, really helped me to express my imagination too. By that time I realized my defective perception of colors (daltonism) at the optometrist tests.
Never completed that course (I wasn't interested in designing logos) but turned to more artistic oriented teachers instead. After a lot of training portraying real people I felt able to apply to a caricaturist post in a newspaper. It wasn't my "natural" talent, but an acquired one.
The paradox is: I started my journey to become a professional artist precisely when I had to deal with my incapacities. So powerful serious Art studies are!

STASSOPOULOS
06-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Even-though I didn't post in a while, I do read the forums everyday.
Here is one of the few works I completed in Studio Pro. A tribute to the caricature master David Levine, who passed away with the end of 2009.
I hope to post more frequently when AR3 stability get improved with coming patches.

very good caricatoure

eighty+
06-27-2010, 04:18 AM
sorry Bob I meant David Levine ok

Bob Row
07-03-2010, 05:42 PM
For an article praising the make-up performed by Obama on Uncle Sam's image towards his southern neighbors.
Obviously, I thought of a famous illustration by Norman Rockwell as my model. Hope you'll like it.

Mairzie Dotes
07-04-2010, 02:57 AM
Bob Row,
OMG! This editorial illustration is absolutely the cat's meow in both
artistry and intent. Just gotta love the subliminal details that really
addresses the message without using but a word such as Uncle Sam
wielding a side arm to indicate the sad persona that the make up
"artist" (looks awfully familiar! ;) ) is attempting to "paint" him as.
Funny, insightful and the artistry is red white and blue wonderful! :)

Bob Row
07-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Glad you liked it. You make a cleaver reading of the details even more than I thought at the moment. You can do a comparison with Rockwell's original here:
http://www.artnet.com/Artists/LotDetailPage.aspx?lot_id=F143E135A4491B91404E2108 994927F5

Jasminek
07-05-2010, 01:47 AM
Wow Bob, wonderful drawings indeed. Your characters always display perfect captures of main characteristics.:)

Bob Row
07-05-2010, 07:44 AM
I'm glad you think that way, Jasminek. I always work in a tight deadline (2 & 1/2 hour maximum), so I find a lot of unsatisfactory details next day. My main concern is to convey a forceful illustration of what the article to be published says.

ScottF
07-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Bob, it´s always fascinating to see your caricatures! They´re so "spot on" in capturing the personality of your subjects!

hanzz
07-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Top works as usual, mate !

Caesar
07-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Your new entries go on keeping warm my fun and utmost admiration ...

Bob Row
07-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Scott, Hans, Caesar: Glad to know you liked it, such a talented people as you're. Thank you.

javier
07-06-2010, 10:55 PM
WOW....Splendid and beautiful cartoons. Excellent work.:):):)

mannafig
07-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Fantastic work:):)

coops
07-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Its always a joy to view your paintings Bob. Such talent and such a great sense of humour too. :)

AT-TA
07-07-2010, 04:20 AM
Bob, i do admire your drawings... so much spontaneity in them, instance of reflexis and yes, personalities without fancy coates. Am looking forward to much more of you here. And thanks for visiting my thread... very much appreciated.:)

Bob Row
07-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks to all the good people in the forum. You're very encouraging to go ahead.

Bob Row
07-07-2010, 10:01 PM
I was watching an extensive interview by Ami Goodman of Democracy Now! and felt moved by his early motivation to go filming: 20,000 fired by General Motors in his home town. The amazing trivia is: the man who taught him how to film was a cousin of George W!
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/5/michael_moore_on_his_life_his

Like him or not, I hope you'll find this a good Watercolors mimic.

coops
07-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Like it!!!! its once again brilliant Bob.:)

Bob Row
07-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Coops. The WC tools is patience-demanding but you can achieve unexpected good results in the end. ¿Don't you think so?

Mairzie Dotes
07-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Bob Row,
Your caricature of Michael Moore is AMAZING!!! You have captured the
author, speaker, film maker in all of his outspoken glory, even down to his
signature baseball cap. Just wonderful artwork! :)

Caesar
07-08-2010, 09:07 PM
.... and who said watercolors were not good for portraits and caricatures .... once in the hand of a master like You?
I must have seen Moore few times and mostly heard echoes of disputes he arose in US, rather than of his artistic talent, but my impression is that You perfectly pinned his essence, outside and inside someway!:eek::cool::):):):):)

Bob Row
07-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Thank you Mairzie. He's a great character for caricature. I did it once some years ago but this time was emotionally different.

Bob Row
07-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks Caesar for your encouraging words. There are true masters of WC portraits out there. Here we are all apprentices as the AR engine has its own idiosyncrasies.
Take, for instance, those two light spots on the cheek that happen when you apply tinner to dilute a dark area. This is a trait hard to avoid and I hope that our great team will be able to correct it in future updates.

Lima
07-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Bob, falo contigo em português:D, acho que vais me entender. Você é um grande profissional... tuas caricaturas são espetaculares... Parabéns.

Bob Row
07-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Obrigado. Procuro aprender.

Bob Row
07-11-2010, 05:38 PM
This one went less easy than the previous one. Anyway.

Alexandra
07-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Wow Bob, excellent!:):):):):):)

AT-TA
07-12-2010, 03:40 AM
Bob, i do not watch soccer and do not know who he is... but can feel the misery as you brought it out masterfully into his face ... admire everybody who can draw and paint good comics and in watercolors. You are among them. And thank you for your kind comments on my work... they are very much appreciated as your work here is. :)

Bob Row
07-12-2010, 06:29 AM
Thank you Alexandra AT-TA.
This man is for the soccer world a mix of what Babe Ruth and Tyson where in the States sports. The greatest player of his generation (if Orianelima doesn't bother) and a rebel against the sport bureaucrats (do you remember "Rollerball"?).
He was a weak character also, who fall for his appetites of food and drugs and was on the verge of death more than once. He came back and reinvented himself even though, as a TV anchor, a politics and Human Rights advocate and finally as a coach for our national team.
He didn't succeed, but he filled this World Cup with his passion, charm an warm personality. Everybody who knows him must love or hate him, but no one can ignore him.

Mairzie Dotes
07-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Bob Row,
"Maradonna, fallen king of soccer" is excellently presented as well as
heart rendering in the visable misery that grips this man though the
crown need not be discarded so quickly. I am certain that there may
be someone who still regards him as king and would gladly affirm his
his royal stature. An emotional yet beautiful piece, the art work is
primo. :)

javier
07-13-2010, 03:08 AM
WOW....Are you a master of watercolor.:):):):)

Bob Row
07-13-2010, 11:07 AM
You're right Marzie, he was received as a successful coach, which is unfair to others who did it better than him at the Cup. But, you know, Love isn't fair

Bob Row
07-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Gracias, Javier, estoy aprendiendo. Y ¡felicitaciones! España ha esperado mucho por esto (si tan sólo la prensa deportiva ¡ay! fuera tan buena como su pueblo).

Caesar
07-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Another winner (Maradona) .... although not a winner in the strictest sense or in the worldcup :D

Bob Row
07-15-2010, 05:01 AM
:D:D Siamo fuori ambedue. Silenzio stampa.

Lima
07-15-2010, 02:33 PM
The greatest player of his generation (if Orianelima doesn't bother)
Bob, I agree with you. Certainly the best of his generation. Now, at the moment, I think he is just a very complicated superstar. In this respect, Dunga:D is light years behind him.

Nice art work Bob. Congratulations.

Caesar
07-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Maradona talents? ... unique, not only for soccer, but for volleyball too ....:D
I'm kidding I would agree too and I appreciated him immensely, although I believe that the whole context and champion pool of a country and national soccer team can help very much to grow the individual capabilities and the fame level (and even some normal player were pumped up to an outstanding champ in several cases depending from his origins :D). I remind though also very well of Platini and Crujff, but they were possibly different generations and far less impressive as superstar characters .... Personally and locally I still venerate Roberto Baggio (almost the same generation I'd say) although his wrong penalty costed us a quite important past world championship in a final against Brazil Oriane remember for sure ...:(

Bob Row
10-16-2010, 02:10 PM
A month ago I was about to undergo a surgery (hernia) when I received a lot of request to publish old works found in the Web (life is a roller-coaster). It was a rush to arrange the needs of the clients and the payments before to update those old, low resolution pics.

The Nürember daily wanted a Schopenhauer for his anniversary.
This is the original made with AR 2 (one of my first ones with digital oils):

And this is the update with AR 3 Studio Pro:

Last, but not least, the printed page:

screenpainter
10-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Bob, you are indeed a caricature artist par excellence! Michael Moore is hilarious and that should be published. And all are fantastic. Loved seeing your final work in print on the last one. They chose the perfect illustrator.

Mairzie Dotes
10-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Bob Row,
It is always a treat to see your wonderful paintings/caricatures
and "Schopenhauer updated" is excellent ... the artistry is just
outstanding. Love that "expressive" :eek: ;) hair and determined,
matter of fact expression. :)

Caesar
10-17-2010, 01:24 AM
No doubt You know how to make a philosopher emerge in a funny and isightful portrait too!
Dear master Bob, Your mix of mastery, intelligence, culture, humour and wisdom are powerfully transferred in Your exceptional caricatures by Your keen talent!

Lima
10-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Bob, no doubt, that you have that weight, that glow ... that importance that ...we observe on the intellectuals of good journalism; Now, as an artist, your work is impressive, so your figures:eek: do enrich your articles. A marvel of art, dear amigo.

Bob Row
10-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Thank you all Gzairborne, Marzie, Caesar and Oriane for your generous words. I'd just like to add that it was ArtRage who perhaps drove me beyond my limitations (especially in regards the humongous hair), while Studio Pro added accuracy to it.

Now, two works that will speak to our Italian and Brazilian friends. The first one was inspired by an article in Foreign Policy, the famous magazine, which compared the present state of Italy with the complains of Dante Alighieri centuries ago. I took inspiration from a famous work by Eugene Delacroix.
The second one is for an article about the euphoric optimism with which many in Brazil think it will become the next economic major power.
Both done with watercolors.

Caesar
10-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Thank You very much, dear Bob!

As for the Italian vignette, the reference to Dante verses so matchlessly penetrating both the human condition in all its aspects and the sublimity cannot but still be very modern also in many political cases. In fact many of them are still commonly cited everyday in our uniquely blessed by God and nature and unlucky country at the same time.
Your magnificent caricature of Berlusconi has a style which seems to merge both Delacroix and the legendary Gustave Doré illustrative inked prints. Your culture brilliantly shines through Your artpieces!
In the newspaper You cited the word bordello, brothel, Dante actually used as follows:
Ahi serva Italia, di dolore ostello,
nave senza nocchiero in gran tempesta,
non donna di province, ma bordello ....
(Ahi, servile Italy, dwelling of grief,
ship without helmsman in a great storm,
not owner of provinces, but brothel ...)
As You can understand from my approximate translation, this situation, of extreme contrast between our resources and possibilities as compared to our political leaders, our divisions and external pressures and greeds, appears quite frequently here along the centuries since the Western Roman Empire fell ...

I also find Lula's caricature perfect in the psychological field too (for him and Barsil as well). I just wish that this time is the right one for Brasil to burst, after so many failed expectations and promises. It seems so, but still, for them too, the problem to have enough people to share opportunities, education and goods is huge and difficult, like for China and India. Unlike China their democratic stand makes everything both more complex, difficult and more promising at the same time.
It was certainly easier for Chile to become a successful player this far also across a dictatorship regime. Best wishes to Brazil then.

ScottF
10-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Always enjoy seeing your excellent work, Bob!

Lima
10-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Bob, very good article by the Argentine journalist ANDRES OPPENHEIMER, he is very much appreciated around here. Very cool your charges. Caesar nice:cool:.

I do not usually express my opinions and impressions about politics. I do not trust politicians. Now, after a long period of corruption, rigging of the state, political cronies, nepotism, profligacy of public money, misguided foreign policy, opportunism, illicit enrichment, ... it's hard to keep quiet and swallow down our throats that group.

...About the panel and Larry Hohter

.....Larry, Lula was not kidding when he said that God is Brazilian. He was voicing his obtuse thinking. In reality, this is a PTist form of misappropriation of aspects of Brazilian culture. This sentence is a maxim used by all (by the Brazilian people) to highlight the natural beauty, great climate, wonderful mixed people, and fantastic beautiful women who live here. This sentence has no political connotation at all (like, badly hinted Lula, taking advantage of the good momentum of the Brazilian economy). But, Larry, Lula is completely wrong (was wrong, too, as always, even when he aimed his gun at you (in a rampant of alcoholic libation, remember Larry?). In this regard, I would like to emphasize that at present, in fact, God is Chilean.

Maybe if Larry (married with a brazilian woman and two brazilian kids) had been expelled from Brazil, alias, unfortunately, as wanted Lula (but true good Brazilians did not allowed this to happen), he would have a different vision of this country, more acidic, further eroded...

But Larry is right. In fact the progress made in the last 20 years are the result of the maintenance of all previously conceived policies (by previous governments), policies against which, incidentally, Lula and his PT were against (but cleverly, like a #171, swindler, kept them).

We know what will happen for the future right there on the 31th. Perhaps the pretensions of Lula will fall down and crush his head. If this happens (I think) Lula will not run for president of the world.

Will hubris derail Brazil's recent progress? asked OPPENHEIMER to Rohter: ...I doubt it, because despite the triumphalism in some government sectors, Brazil's population remains coolheaded, if not skeptical.

And by the way, Dilma is even more arrogant. In this context, she could well be represented by Kaiko's image, holding it with both hands.

Boa Bob, Enhorabuena.

Mairzie Dotes
10-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Bob Row,
Excellent artistry, engaging commentary and I hope you will understand
my immediate attraction to that UMUNGUS banana. This particular fruit
has always been my "on the run" hunger quencher and a banana that
size would last me all year. ;) Tongue in cheek whimsey and satire
flavors these well painted pieces. :)

Bob Row
10-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Scott: Thank you, and I look ahead to see your paintings of the wilderness around Usuhaia.

Marzie: I can't help it but my first image when thinking of Brazil is a banana; the bigger, the better. I'm not worried of losing my teeth as long as I could eat bananas the rest of my life!

Caesar and Oriane: I have not the intention of bringing political arguments to this forum. Just to share my work with the friends. Of course, I do have my own point of view; but I don't choose the articles I have to illustrate. So, I try to add to them a bit of humor and/or artistry, without being too much crude politically.
But, let me tell you: I think Italy is still a great country (despite Berlusconi) which have give a lot of culture and industry to the world, and I'm sure have a lot more to give, don't be pessimistic.
Brazil, on the other hand, advanced a lot in coping with its secular weak side, that was its great social disparity. Perhaps not enough yet but, you know what?, Argentine vulgar middle-class used to speak of the Brazilian poverty with contempt; today, they rise Brazil as a model to criticize our own government and praise Lula's (supposed) non-ideological pragmatism. Probably, the true lies in between.

Bob Row
10-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Now, three B&W with my new favorite drawing tool: Felt at 60% pression, 100% softness, 0% wetness on any rough paper texture. Plus other textures with chalk and crayon and a bit of grey airbrush and glitter.

1) Wafa Sultan, an exiled Syrian woman against Islam dangerous ideology (according her).
2) Nobel laureate writer Vargas Llosa and Perú's president Alan García about later years economic success, despite they doesn't like each other.
3) An article remarks Argentine president's achievement's while her opposition looks at our neighbors' presidents with envy.

Caesar
10-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Dear Bob, These B&W vignettes show the great confidence and mastery You've got. Synthesis, likeness and psychological insight!:eek::cool::):):):):)

I'm also grateful for this use of the felt pen indications!:)

Thank You for Your consolationa about Italy. I probably feel frustration like Oriane for the differential between possibilities and actual situation based on the selection and career system of too many of our leaders, especially the political ones and those substantially depending by them, on their turn unable to resiste unappropriate pressures.
I know what we were for so long, alas, and one more reason of sorrow. I do have faith and hope, but I couldn't help from bittely complaining for the fact that Italy is practically falling into a system of castes and privileges progressively increasing and paralizing our country and people opportunities. No more social dynamism, thus very similar to the decandence of Western Roman Empire ...
It's an ancient story and fact that too many great Italians became so abroad and too many did not get the praises they deserved at home.
In the past there were strong historical reasons for them to be both successful and to be so elsewhere; now, quite frankly, it depends much more on faults, and short-sighted, greedy and nepotistic attitudes of too many "smart" people or sharks into a poll they contribute to reduce everyday ... In these conditions we're no more able to grow and even get out in the world contributing to progress furtherly, with the main exception of great minds that, with difficulty, but still a great intellectual and ingenuousness patrimony they absorbed, are able to expatriate ...

Mairzie Dotes
10-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Bob Row,
What talent to have the ability to poignantly express with only black and
white ... dramatic and to the point. These updated illustrations carry
the intent with excellent artistry, imagination and an acute awareness of
world events. :)

Bob Row
10-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Marzie: Always so generous. Thank you.

Caesar: Thank you for your commentary. It's very interesting when you complaint about the end of social dynamics and developing of a "castes" system. My generation was an avid consumer of Italian movies in the sixties and seventies (Monicelli, Scola, Fellini and so many more). Suddenly, it all disappeared in the nineties, which gave me a bad feeling about what was going on. OK, it wasn't just Italy bud the whole "End of History" triumphalism and the banal enthronement of richness as prove of success.

We, Argentinean grandchildren of poor immigrants, became more enthusiastic than anybody else. By 2001 the country went broke; industries and bank closed; millions lost jobs and savings. We even retorted to the exchange of goods and professional services (eg. dentist work for cakes or whatever). From 2003 onwards, we recovered steadily (after a brutal 300% devaluation of the Peso), thanks to a rise in commodities prices, government savings (taxes) and subsidies (the horror of economic orthodoxy).

Now, the developed countries are in crisis as we where before them. Perhaps it's time to tear down the golden calf and set a limit to personal wealth of executives (press moguls between them) and give the due place to the State in the social solidarity redistribution.

AT-TA
10-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Do not know any one of them.... but the drawings are gems... very good, witty and make me chuckle Outstanding job, Bob.:)

Bob Row
04-13-2011, 04:49 PM
I can't believe I didn't post in so much time. so, here's a sample of my latest work. My regards to all the bunch.

1) Obama's trip to Brazil
2) Three great Jewish philosophers and a rabbi who supports "zero tolerance" laws against the youngsters.
3) Assange
4) How intellectuals related to dictators.
5) A Belorussian in exile warns cyber-activists: despots use the Web 2.0 too.

(Not sure about the order of uploads; well, you'll see)

Caesar
04-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Dear Bob, as usual Your caricatures are both funny and masterful, insightful and culturally stimulating, thus most of them seem to take a sort of neverending value.
Very smart the idea of a leakage from Assange nose, maybe they are making him cry by treating him like Osama Bin Laden, most likely because quite a number of US government people all over the world resulted to be sort of amateurs in their analysis and security systems so as to give a very embarassing ideaof their effectiveness.
I also had much laugh looking at President Obama landing in Brazil and wearing what some of his professional advisor thought to be the proper attire for the period under the disappointed look of Madame the President! :D:p:D:p

waheednasir
04-13-2011, 09:40 PM
these are good. the expressions, the gestures, the treatment, all very nicely done..:).

Mairzie Dotes
04-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Bob Row,
Wonderful charicatures ... exceptional artistry here! You are a true
talent no matter the medium. :)

coops
04-15-2011, 02:15 AM
As always expertly painted:)

Bob Row
04-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Caesar: Thanks for your generous, yet cunning insight of the subtexts implicit. I titled Assange's post in my blog "A cold season", since his fate shows the delusion of "total transparency" hopes amid cyber-activists. Secrecy in international diplomacy may be blunt, but is something to learn to live with.
Glad you laughed at the "Carmen Miranda" Obama's look. (if somebody doesen't know this Forties comic star: http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=es&safe=off&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9XOoTfzjKsmDtgfmvIHfBw&ved=0CDAQBSgA&q=carmen+miranda&spell=1)
I did it weeks in advance. His trip proved, indeed, to be a show devoid of substance.

Waheed, Marzie, Cops: Thanks for your always supportive comments. I'm trying to evolve in my handling of the watercolors, heading to a simplified approach of a few great planes with touches of darker and lighter spots. Hope this to become useful for other Artragers too.

justjean
04-16-2011, 06:33 AM
:D, great works Bob :D, I especially think Carmen's hat ( I remember her well) looks great on Obama

pat1940
04-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Bob Row, WOW I love these charicatures, they are so expertly done, really enjoy viewing these:):):):););););)

AT-TA
04-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi Bob, so good to see you .:) All these pictures are very qualitywork and even the most serious in substance they are so funny that it is imposible to ignore them. Love the Obama scene....but in some sense they all are the dancers to higher power tune...gorgeous caricatures...:)

Bob Row
04-17-2011, 05:45 AM
Thank you Jean, Pat and AT-TA. I'm glad you find these enjoyable. I think I'm developing a recognizable style for my editorial illustrations with the AR tools Felt pen and Watercolors. This help me to feel less anxious when at the start of a new work (I'm always pressed by the dead lines) and confident amid the shrinking market of printed newspapers. I got new clients lately who's reaction to my contributions was very positive. Thanks, Art Rage!

ScottF
04-17-2011, 08:56 AM
As always, simply a delight to see your work, Bob! Would love to see your take on Hugo Moyano--but then if he saw it and didn´t like it, he might send the "patovicos" your way. :D

Bob Row
04-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Well, Scott: I was avoiding to break the pleasantness of the forum with such a sight. But, as you asked for it, here is a fast taking of the workers' leader:

Caesar
04-18-2011, 01:58 AM
I don't know this last guy, but I'm sure he looks alike and this watercolor or feltpen caricature is technically a delight to see and study!

Alexandra
04-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Bob, I've missed so many of your caricatures, they are excellent-what talent!

ScottF
04-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks so much, Bob! It´s splendid--well, maybe that´s not quite the right word. :cool: Excellent take!

Lima
04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
We can understand why you are a so reputable professional. Congratulations, great work Bob.

Bob Row
04-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Caesar, Alexandra, Orianne: You're very gentle. As I said, this last one is a very fast (and careless) take. I posted it only because of Scott's defiance towards my "personal courage". The reason?: he's the boss of the General Confederation of Workers' Unions in Argentina. Mainstream media enjoy presenting him as a fearsome character. Of course, he exerts his political power. But I, myself, fear more of others: by the end of 2001 the respectable Banks evaporated the savings of thousands of poor idiots like me and run. Well, now this is not an unusual happening in other places too, right?. Let's go back to Art, which is a better subject.

Caesar
04-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Dear Bob, thank You for Your explanation!
I've been afraid of unions since ever after I left University and started working, because, in Italy, in the last decades they are only ritual self-defined defenders of workers as an indistict mass and took hostages a great deal of educated specialists and managers (not allowing them independent unions) as to safeguard their power and contracts made to keep alive their privileges also on behalf of the companies pleasing them for their exchanges.
You're anyway right, the financial institution cupola, as it is still now, with all their rating agencies side-dishes, is the worst cancer (the right term for what is the most dangerous mafia ever).
They're as mischievous as stupid, a terrible mix. They did what happended to Your savings, one way or the other, several times, up to this last crisis we're still in (I remember of the terrific Argentina crack and consequences directy from some people I knew then, in particular a Navy admiral who lost all his money too).
They never really pay, they gracefully let us do it, while they resume their bubbles buildings and bonuses cashing, speculating and singing in chorus, while governements (especially US and UK where many of them live and operate also now that Asia is financially going to dwarf them all), which are supposed to defend citizens, let them going on along that line, neither ruling seriously nor striking them hardly enough for their responsibilities. This has now little to do with free market and competion I'm afraid, the usual excuse, on the contrary ...

screenpainter
04-22-2011, 12:39 PM
hilarious~ and as always skillfully and masterfully drawn.

jibes
04-23-2011, 04:24 AM
I'm not a big fan of political cartooning but you do a very fine job at it!!!

hanzz
04-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Great thread.I browsed through it again.Always a delight.

Bob Row
04-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Hanzz: thank you, pal. always welcome.
Jibes: I appreciate you made an exemption with my work.
Gzairborne: Glad you like them.
Caesar: It's pleasant to find a common ground despite our dfferent backgrounds. As they say, it's easy to pull out oil from a stone than a human behaving from a financial capitalist.
I hope you'll like this new comparison of old and present state of Italy.

1) At the 150 anniversary of the Italian Unification, the richer northerners prefer to forget of the old champion Garibaldi and celebrate the faun-like Berlusconi instead.
2) Disoriented Castro brothers seems to swift from Fidel's old Soviet model to try Raul's careful aperture to market Chinese one.

Alexandra
04-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Wow Bob, these are great. It is sad that so many do not understand, or turn their heads.

coops
04-27-2011, 11:42 PM
GReat work again Bob, love looking at your work:)

Caesar
04-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Dear Bob, what a sad trajectory for our country history, isn't it? Your funny vignette summarizes it quite clearly. more than century ago Italian great men and politicians had less money at the end of their responsibilities than when they entered politics, now it's exactly the contrary ... :(
A great idea also because it reminded me of the Bruno Bozzetto cartoon entitled "Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune" on Debussy music with that same title.
Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrBGpEBGLyU&feature=related
;):D

waheednasir
04-28-2011, 05:02 PM
very well done!

Bob Row
04-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Alexandra, Coops: thank you for your kind words.
Caesar: Those who neglect their past are jeopardizing their future. Thank you for the link to that beauty! I saw it once in the local public channel, but it's a treasure to know it's in YouTube too.
Waheed: Thank you, master!

pat1940
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi Bob, checking out your wonderful art again, just love to see them, always a delight to view, fantastic;););););):):):):):)

Bob Row
05-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Perhaps he would better doing this instead of speaking so many contradictions. The "birthers" doubt of his Hawaiian birth. To me, he acts just as any other American president does when in need of a rise in the pools: killing people and posing as an hero (Mission Accomplished!)

Caesar
05-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Dear Bob, this is another impressive and caustic vignette out of Your fertile mind and the execution was highly professionally made.

Actually, to be honest, it looks like that Sarkozy too acts not much differently under similar situations .... :D I was glad anyway to know that Obama a couple of days later correctly told that there's never a reason for jubilating on a death,(curiously like the Vatican spokesman, who's not my preferred priest though, did say that immediately). This is always a golden rule no matter how much the victim deserved it. Moreover Obama didn't show the picture of Bin Laden's corpse, which is another right decision in my view against an unnecessary morbidity, no matter if he may have taken this decision also on other ground.
So, in my view, Obama eventually made at least that right statement as a civilized guy and the US nation and democrachy President and not just an internal popularity chaser exploiting the worst negative human attitudes. This means he's possibly going to become a great President; he doesn't fear contingent unpopularity or adversities, like in the case of his battle for a public, solidaristic health assurance any other civilized country has since longtime.
To be clear Bin Laden did widely deserve this end, most likely for sure, should we put the weight of the deaths, violence, curses, barbarian evolution, impious fanatism he caused (or was symbol of at least) on the other plate of the balance, but no such a trial was formally made.
For him eventually happened what Someone, who clearly wasn't after a personal and mundane power, warned all of us on, that "Who wounds by means of a sword dies by means of a sword". In other words, violence tend to raise violence.
But no civilization or religion should ever behave stating to be enpowered to do so on behalf of God and His justice or any other supernatural entity, as Osama himself did, and so many go on doing; the human life, rights and dignity of any individual has to be considered a supreme value on this Earth. That's the best lesson we should give to guys and crowds thinking and acting like Bin Laden and al Qaeda or any other similar criminal or fanatic organization.
So, whatever we may understand about the reasons for killing him, if that of Bin Laden was a cool mind killing while he was defenceless, it was an unjustifiable deed in my opinion.
He should have rather been taken in front of a tribunal having jurisdiction, even better the International Court of Justice for crimes against mankind US unfortunately didn't subscribe.
I realize it would have been a most hard and risky way to proceed, it would have required much courage, but it would have been a far more credible way to oppose justice to sheer and mad violence and deadly, devilish ideologies also symbolically ...
Anyway the treatment of Assange, of the American guy who helped him and all the illegalities possibly set up following Wikileaks news are as much worrysome to me as US wrong decisions, especially when US and we all claim to be democrachy and human right teacher to countries like China, or Iran or dozens of others in the Arabian Gulf and elsewhere, who still would deserve to be seriously pressed on this matter.

Well, time to shut up. As You can see I'm not afraid to say my thoughts and to take the part of what I believe right against what is wrong and not just diplomatically stick on one side or the other, maybe the most comfortable one, worse change my mind according to what is more favourable at any specific moment ... ;)

Bob Row
05-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Caesar: I'm glad you take so much time to reply so passionate about Obama. I don't feel capable to match your detailed argument. I'll just express my displeasure with all the dancing and rejoicing on the Ground Zero. I was surpraised too with the successive versions of Osama's death. It's clear to me, they didn't want him in a trial, telling of his old ties with the CIA. I expected a little more decency from Obama than from Bush. But he's afraid of suffering the fate of JFK. I can understand that, but I feel sorry for all those young people who worked for the hope of a renewal in American politics. Today I read a piece by Michael Moore which is quite moving:
http://blog.cagle.com/2011/05/some-final-thoughts-on-the-death-of-osama-bin-laden/
My best

D Akey
05-14-2011, 06:49 AM
I guess it's the obligation of the fourth estate to rattle the mighty. In that context this is a clever spin on the situation.

A bit simplistic, but one needs to be simplistic from having distilled down a large concept into it's essential form, with a clever wit when possible. It carries a punch. And you hit your target as it says what you yourself wanted to say, Bob.

I think the danger that the editorial cartoonist faces is going for a clever image with lots of impact over the thoughtful consideration of a situation. The political cartoon is like a bubble rising into the open and popping like a loud release of gas. Sometimes one wonders what the heck they ate. :D

Don't get me wrong. I love political cartoons. I also like spicy food. But cartoons of this kind serve as a very quick handle of a large subject for people to grab onto. Works like a gentleman playing a love song to his girl because it sums it up. . . only in your case with a little less love, hahaha.

The drawing is outstanding. And your message you have chosen to show is provocative. You had the luxury here to say in words what you were after. You may have needed to explain for us foreigners. Maybe not.

Bob Row
05-15-2011, 03:38 AM
D Akey: As we gather in this forum to show the ways we employ AR, I try no to let my political views to bother those of others. Regrettably, I don't paint landscapes.
This time I tried to post the picture without words, but the interface asked me to write at least ten words....and I couldn't help it.
Usually, my editor at the newspaper section (which is called "Debates" or "Arguments") makes me a phone call to tell me the leading article he needs to become illustrated and then I suggest some graphic metaphor for him to approve. This time, though, he asked me for this scene right on: Obama dancing with the head of Bin Laden as "maracas". I was impressed, knowing he's rather a conservative in his political views.

But, let me tell you, this time, Obama lost any credibility in the eyes of any slightly informed person here. His recent trip through the region, showed him speaking lackluster formal discourses.
But now he got embarrassed with a contradictory set of versions of the Seals action and the dispose of Bin Laden's corpse. Just to justify the murder of an unarmed man who new too much. Yes, Bin Laden was a "mad dog" probably guilt of a lot of horrendous crimes. But a a "mad dog" who was hired and trained by the USA to fight the Soviets in Afghanistan and could tell uncomfortable facts if brought into a public trial. So, he simply went "suppressed" in a mob-like solution for the "problem".

It smell nasty because there was a nasty story behind. No naivety, no accident here. Not even the big conservative media in Argentina tried to deny this view. Now you know how the non-American public view this episode. Sorry if it hurts.

Bob Row
05-15-2011, 05:43 AM
Another corpse story, but less prickly for most in the forum. Six months after the sudden death (from a known artery condition) of Nestor Kirchner (former president of Argentina, husband of the current one and the central personality for the last 8 years), a handful of books on him went to the bookshops. Some critical, some warming testimonial.
The subject cried for a version of the Anatomy lesson by Rembrandt. As the page design forces me to render the illustration in a vertical format, I wondered how to modify the original. Fortunately, I found this brilliant version by the great Edward Sorel for reference:
http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/unbound/bookauth/rembrandt.htm
Hope you'll like it even thought you don't know this people.

D Akey
05-15-2011, 05:52 AM
No need to apologize. I assure you that your opinion doesn't hurt. That's why I said that the issue is not so simplistic, but political cartoon issues tend to be.

And you were just following orders. I myself was an artistic "hired gun", so I know when one is told to do something you do it if you want to stay employed.

Politicians lie, and sometimes seem to lie when they change their stories, even though the reasons they change may have something to do with the unseen situation changing and it needing a different response. Everybody knows that.

So do journalists change their story occasionally. But they have the luxury if not the duty to explain why. Many journalists are of high standards and always tell their version of the truth, but we all know that the Truth, whatever that is, is conditional based on agendas. So much is interpretation. So one person's Truth can be another person's Lie because agendas come into opposition.

The Press, as a group for checks and balances keeping the powerful from screwing everything up for the rest of us, works best when it works independently of political pressures. It keeps the powers that be a little more honest hopefully. And I was rather horrified when I watched Bush get a stranglehold on the News in the US after 911. One could watch it happening. And thus it changed the nature of the mainstream news here.

I do not need to be reminded of anti-American sentiment. I am not in the least sensitive about it because it is a normal condition of peoples that comes from having separate countries and one being in a powerful position. I'm very aware of it. I've been watching it my whole life.

I'm also aware of the general disposition of other countries' tone that they are notorious for, and how those attitudes came to be. . . in the most simplistic terms of course. But that same polarity shows up not just with nations, but with people. It reflects human nature. And when there are groups of people, the group will reflect the leadership of those individuals with their personal strengths and weaknesses.

So I assure you I do not take it personally. It's business as usual. So knowing things are going to get messy, we have the Press to give us considerations of opposing thought. But the quality and character of the voice of the Press is not sacrosanct either, and it reflects the writers and editors. . . and the owners . . . and the people they are in bed with. Hardly simplistic, with individual agendas every step of the way.

So politics aside, talking again about the broad category of 'political cartoon', it has it's shortcomings in that it is simplistic, even when it illustrates a long editorial article (or bunch of articles) that have an agenda. One may agree or disagree with that agenda. It's 'spin'.

That you used the word 'murder' is very revealing. But who would read your paper if the writers said something less eye catching and charged. They are after all about selling papers. And many journalists of different quality make their bread from blood sacrifice, splitting people open publicly, don't they. I see it over and over.

So therein lies my caution. And that's all I'm saying. The words in the Press, and political cartoons, are written large. So it's important to get the messages balanced if balance is what one is after, and at least complete if one is going after someone. Like a pit bull, one could get so used to going after the same target, one could lose sight of the rest.

I assure you, I admire your work and love seeing it. In this case, my personal opinion is that this illustration is not the best conceptually, but it's provocative and that would get the reader to read the accompanying article, wouldn't it. Visually, it's great. Please keep posting your work. I love watching your process, Bob, and I wish you continued success. You're very good at what you do.

D Akey
05-15-2011, 06:09 AM
. . .The subject cried for a version of the Anatomy lesson by Rembrandt. As the page design forces me to render the illustration in a vertical format, I wondered how to modify the original. Fortunately, I found this brilliant version by the great Edward Sorel for reference:
http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/unbound/bookauth/rembrandt.htm
Hope you'll like it even thought you don't know this people.

Bravo! Very clever way to illustrate your idea.

Bob Row
05-24-2011, 07:12 PM
I'd like to recommend this interview with Edward Sorel about the nuances of the job of politics illustration: http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/unbound/bookauth/sorelint.htm

Now, to keep the pace with the news, here are three stooges picked up among many: Moshe Katsav (former president of Israel), Clinton and Strauss-Kahn.

Caesar
05-24-2011, 09:31 PM
LOL:D Spectacular! This vignette has continuous additions I guess. I like Your update with Dominant Stress-Can (ops, I mean Dominique Strauss-Kahn), for friends Can-Can or C(H)an-nibal .... :p
Obviously this is only a secondary scene in a hall large huge Bacchanal fresco, where, we have no doubt, the central part would present our Prime Minister who cannot but play the divine role of Dionysus/ Bacchus in person surrounded by a crowd of drunk or ecstatically willing women, girls and nymphae. :D:p

D Akey
05-25-2011, 03:36 AM
That was a cool article you linked to, Bob. It does speak of the nature of the job. I bet the book will be interesting. It stung when he mentions how the political cartoon market is shrinking. Commercial Art has been like the Titanic in slow motion. . . You should be proud that you're working what with syndication and all. :)

Nice cartoon you did here. Rather old school Roman excess. :D And the band played on. . .

Alexandra
05-25-2011, 10:11 AM
ha ha hee hee ha ha. Great one Bob.

Mairzie Dotes
05-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Bob Row,
Could it be that imbibing in the fermenting grapes in this arbor might be
responsible for the antics of these three recognizable pickin' and grinnin'
centaurs? If so ... THEY'RE CUT OFF!!! :eek: ;) :D Great art work, great
charicatures! :)

mannafig
05-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Fantastic work Bob:):)

Simoniak
05-27-2011, 04:19 AM
Very nice cartoons. I really like. Great Job!

ScottF
05-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Always a joy (and a bit of a giggle) seeing your work, Bob! :cool:

Bob Row
08-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Hi, people! I've been absent for so long I can't believe! But, as I stumbled for a thread by Henri Stahl on the beauties of the AR's felt pen I felt compeled to add my two cents to the praise of my favorite tool. I added a screen (blend=multiply) found in DeviantArt for a touch of old chinese print ambient.

pai
08-19-2013, 10:46 PM
love the panda's smile as I smile too :)

copespeak
08-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Love the humour and the work is really excellent! :cool:

justjean
08-20-2013, 10:10 AM
always a pleasure to see your work

Bob Row
08-21-2013, 03:41 AM
Thank you Pai, Copespeak, Justjean! I'm glad you liked! I regard myself more a caricaturist than an illustrator; but from time to time there is an allegorie like this one that I really enjoy to do. Very kind of you to comment.

kenmo
08-22-2013, 06:41 AM
:cool::cool::cool::cool: Awesome work :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Bob Row
08-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Thank you Kenmo! Glad you liked it.

Bob Row
07-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Hi, ragers! I know I've been absent too much time from the forums. But I feel this job deserved to be posted. No that there's anything special about it in regards to the artistic features. But it have a special meaning for me being a request from a Philosophy magazine based in Auckland; the very motherland of the software I used to do it!

So this got a true sense of Globalization: an Argentinian guy illustrating a Kiwi magazine about French philosophy. A job around the Globe!. Hope you'll like it.

Here's the magazine's website: http://cafephilosophy.co.nz/issues/june-2014/

And here's the piece:

Caesar
07-15-2014, 02:34 AM
Welcome back, dear Bob, and sorry for the Argentinian soccer team. I enjoyed very much Your last two vignettes and this appreciation included Your style and artistic features as well, whatever You think of it.

Bob Row
07-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Thank you, dear Caesar, for your kind words. Hey! this one was certainly a World Cup with unexpected results. Big guys ousted prematurely and the little ones performing well. We were close to the title but the people felt proud of the effort showed by our boys. Next time in other four years.

D Akey
07-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Absolutely brilliant, Bob!!!!!!!! This is a GREAT style! I don't know the story or the people, but merely looking at the overall technique and success, I can only imagine you nailed it. Well done you!!!!!

Good seeing you around as well. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Bob Row
07-20-2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks a lot, D Akey! I'm very glad you liked it. I just got the motto " Sartre and de Beauvoir at a Parisian cafe" (I asked if they should dress as in winter or in summer). As for the style I thought something sketchy, like in the New Yorker's covers.

eighty+
07-23-2014, 12:30 AM
HI Bob I've copyied two of your paintings for pratice I know I should have you first but sorry

as I got carried away is it ok if I try some more Yea or Nae that is the question ;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

STATTE BBUONO .......Si........................Si

Bob Row
07-23-2014, 06:12 PM
No problemo, my friend! You're always welcome!

pat1940
07-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Bob, it is always a treat to view your magnificent work

Bob Row
07-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Tanks you for your kind words, Pat. Hope everything is well and looking for your new paintings.

Bob Row
05-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Hi! The times they are a changing and I lost my post in the newspaper a year and a half before retirement. So I thought of putting together a sample of my work of the last 20 years to show its variety of stiles and media. There are some drawings on real paper with real ink; some with Corel Painter and some with ArtRage (most of them previously posted here). Hope you'll like it.

https://youtu.be/P_CgMYIifEw

D Akey
05-23-2017, 06:13 AM
Hi Bob.

Sorry to hear about you getting let go from your job so close to retirement. The world sort of sucks that way. Nice retrospective.

So many have left ArtRage forums who knew you so you may not get a lot of response here. But that doesn't mean nobody would care if they knew. Despite the relative silence, I'm sure everyone would have loved to see you continuing to do your artwork.I hope you continue doing art at least. It's part of you.

Best wishes to your forthcoming endeavors. And build a new audience for your work. These days that seems to be the way to go for so many.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Bob Row
05-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Hello dear friend, thank you for your encouraging words. I was visiting the forums from time to time but since I wasn't able to buy the 4.5 version I felt I couldn't add something meaningful. Now, with Artrage 5 at loose I am still not so sure. I was expecting the team improving the watercolour engine features but it seems this was not a priority for most users.
Even though, my response to the new circumstances was to invest in an equipment renewal (new Mac mini and Wacom tablet) so maybe AR 5 should be the next step. If so, I bet we'll be talking here again! My best.