PDA

View Full Version : Veils of Ardor (Incl YouTube Vid)

L Skylar Brown
01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biu7rFG5qeI These slightly sultry, slightly alien eyes - what stories do they hide? What do they reveal? Check out the demo, please, You will enjoy it.

Evart
01-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Very nice work!

JohnT
01-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Excellent artwork and video.

As a learning ArtRager I can clearly see your earlier processes of roughing out the sketch and laying down the colours/values.

I would appreciate if you could find the time to write a little about how you go about the next stages of your painting, i.e. when you start to blend, hatch and smooth. The process seems more complicated, however, in that you appear to be also applying more/different colour and changing the initial values.

I understand that your view of the painting will change in the final stages and it may a big ask to describe what your thought processes are. I am wondering if the methods you use in the latter stages of your painting are as easy to document as those I can see in the earlier stages.

I hope it is clear what I am getting at and would appreciate if you feel you could comment.

Thanks.

shechat
01-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Thank you for posting and for the superb video, your a talented painter and an excellent teacher.

Rob in Denver
01-18-2010, 04:04 AM
Luv them Maybelline eyes, ( as Tom Waits said)! Fun to watch it come together, like magic. You are a real pro, and this image is oh so compelling and beautiful.

jbyrjbyr1
01-18-2010, 04:51 AM
A beautiful painting (I absolutely LOVE your color choices!) and a wonderful video showing its gestation. After watching it late last night, I stayed up later to watch your other vids (and dropping them in my favorites folder for further study)...informative, instructive and inspiring...who could ask for more. Thanks.

Alexandra
01-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Wow Skylar, I love the painting. Beautiful. Hopefully by the year 2030 we will get high speed here and I can go back and look at your YT videos.

L Skylar Brown
01-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Even the best planned painting takes on its own life somewhere around half-way through the process. It's that point where all of a sudden, you see things that weren't intended, or what are called Happy Accidents. As with this piece, I laid out my rough sketch, picked my colors, and arranged them in the Samples pallette, and set to work. After blocking in major shapes and colors, the refinement starts. It's at this point where the piece gives a lot of info on where to take it. I had envisioned a more gause-like veil, but the red color on red colors trunkated that, and a heavier weave developed. I used only the colors in the samples palette. But, overpainting produces variations, and I waited til towards the end of the fabic creation to turn on the dry setting. This was all brush settings, except the orig sketch - Pen, and the final overlays on the face - airbrush. I'm not sure if I answered all the questions, so if you would like a more refined aspect, pls tell me, and I will endeavor to illucidate.

Sketchism71
01-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Even the best planned painting takes on its own life somewhere around half-way through the process. It's that point where all of a sudden, you see things that weren't intended, or what are called Happy Accidents.

This is so true LSB! A beautiful painting indeed!:eek::)

L Skylar Brown
01-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Sketch - I almost always go with the direction that begins to emerge - It's a thrill ride in a way, because the more you follow, the better it seems to get.

Lima
01-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Wonderful:eek:

L Skylar Brown
01-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks, Oriane, I must admit to being fairly pleased with her, myself.