PDA

View Full Version : Child's Mind (Update 1-22 -10) Purple People Eater! (Page 5)

Sketchism71
01-16-2010, 08:18 PM
My son sketched this tonight before he went to bed. To have some fun, I decided to paint it. The results are strangely interesting! He didn't tell me what it was that it represented but he had saved the file as "Book".

Gray
01-16-2010, 08:43 PM
That's a cool idea. I love the results too! It maintains its youthful lines and adds a bizarre level of shading detail and color to the whole that makes the image fascinating to look at. Utterly unique. Fantastic!

AT-TA
01-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Interesting, that kids almost always paint the happy scenes... the houses, moms and dads and friends and suflowers in the garden around the houses... i like the movement here...nothing is square or sharp or edgy.... everything naturelike loooking... tell him that it is very nice woww... even the shadows are not missing here... i like it..a lot...:-)

coops
01-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Love it Sketch, well done to the both of you.:)

paul_uk7
01-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Like this, its neat:)

mannafig
01-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Fantastic love the look it gives childlike yet professional brilliant:):)

foxytocin
01-17-2010, 02:01 AM
It'd be great to see more, Sketch! Looks great....

Sketchism71
01-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Thanks everyone! This was fun to paint!

Lima
01-17-2010, 11:18 AM
That is just so great. More...........:):):)

Eileen724
01-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Sketch! You are always so creative in so many ways!!! I just hope your son doesn't get upset that you took his drawing and colored it!!! :D:D:D:D My sons used to get a little upset with me when I would take their coloring books and color in them (oh, how I love to color!!!). I think they started hiding them from me after awhile <lol>!!!!!

This is just so wonderful and delightful in SO many ways, dude!

Evart
01-17-2010, 01:01 PM
I remember drawing something like this about forty years ago. :D I like them both :)

Alexandra
01-17-2010, 03:13 PM
This is a beautiful painting with a beautiful drawing from your son. I can see that he has his father's talent!:D

Sketchism71
01-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks Everyone for the great comments on this! I will have to go through some of their sketched artwork to see if there is more I could do like this. The idea was not originally mine, I can't remember the members name that would post paintings done from their childs ( and they were fantastic) drawings but the idea fascinated me.

I feel that as we grow, get older, "learn to draw/paint", we also lose some of our child-like imaginations and perspectives (both in life and in art). It is impossible for me to draw like a child anymore because my brain wants to think about art theory, perspectives, shadow and light, to the point that I cannot conceive or render a simple drawing like a child can. They create without fear of failure and are pleased with every outcome.

Haha Eileen, no he was not mad that I painted his sketch but he did say "Hey... the people aren't suppose to be blonde!!" lol!:D:D

Fashmir
01-17-2010, 07:07 PM
That really turned out cool. It reminds me of Dave Devries' "The Monster Engine" (http://themonsterengine.com/). Very interesting stuff Sketch.

byroncallas
01-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Eddie, I love it and the commentary that has come with it. It's certainly fresh and expressive with a wonderful sense of life. If I saw it in a gallery without knowing any of the background it would be easy to imagine standing there saying, "this is wonderfully expressive, a very nice piece of work". As an exercise I think the idea is just great. It makes me think I'd love to have a bundle of children's drawings with the goal to fill them in with my own sensibilities without destroying the sensibilities the child brought to it and see what comes out in the symbiosis. A gem of a post. :)

Juz
01-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Lucky he's too young to sue you sketch hehehe :D
Seriously though, this is delightful what a powerful combo you two make :):)

Raybrite
01-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Very nice. The Title could have meant that this was something from a book he had read or looked at. Maybe he is thinking about writing a book.:):):):):)

Albert
01-17-2010, 11:04 PM
I love it.............

pai
01-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Awesome, Eddie. This is a lovely and fascinating drawing/painting from father and son. :)

silvy
01-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Agree with Pai;). Very lovely:)

elfme
01-18-2010, 04:32 AM
Big smile and a wonderful feeling, Thank you! Good job by both of you.:):):):):)

Sketchism71
01-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Thank you Fashmir, Byron, Juz, Raybrite, Albert, Pai, Silvy, and elfme for the awesome comments!:D:D

Fashmir - Thanks for the link to Dave Devries! Amazing stuff!:eek::)

Byron - It is an interesting concept and the word symbiosis defines the outcome perfectly!;):)

Juz - Never too young to sue! lol!:p:D

Sketchism71
01-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Thank you Fashmir for the link to David Devries! His artwork has inspired me to keep going with this! It's fascinating, challenging, and I will never run out of ideas on what to paint!!! Here is another one. My son sketched this back in October and I thought it would be an interesting one to paint. Thanks for checking it out!

Edit: I'm also experimenting with style design on these. I would like to keep them somewhat child-like throughout the design. Also taking advantage of this to brush up on my brush work. I generally do not use the brush tool much at all. It's a whole different animal!

Juz
01-19-2010, 09:18 PM
This came up beautifully sketch. What a master of line and composition sketch jnr is.:) Love the style of this work, you've really got the creepy atmosphere down here. The glow effect is wonderful too.:)

byroncallas
01-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Eddie, agreeing with Juz, something pretty amazing going on here. Terrific translation from Jr. to Sr. - and yes, a remarkable symbiosis. This is an impressive collaboration. :):):)

Eileen724
01-19-2010, 10:24 PM
This is just remarkable, Sketch! It is definitely high on the creep factor for me though....almost sinister-like...!!! :eek:

I love how you've taken Sketch, Jr's pics and colored them in a very unique and honorable way. I now wish my sons were this young again so I could do the same to theirs! But then again, when they were young, they use to hide their crayons and coloring books from me....:)!!!

Sketchism71
01-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Juz, Byron, and Eileen, thank you so much for the comments!:):)

Here's another... Someone make me stop!!!:D:D

coops
01-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Boy Sketch, he is good, very very good. Love seeing these. :)

alkratzer
01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Sketch,

The latest one is a riot. Nicely done and what a great way to show your son you value his artwork!

screenpainter
01-20-2010, 11:59 AM
You two make an amazing collaboration. The art is fantastic!

Caesar
01-20-2010, 12:18 PM
This thread is pure genius, a child creativity genius and a masterfully painted interpretation from the previous sketch.
Fantastic!

mannafig
01-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Truly genius the creativity of a child with the mastery of a pro fantastic and unique style hope you both do many more together they are a delight to see:):)

Eileen724
01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Whoops! It looks like Santa had one too many shots of Jack Daniel's with his feet up in the air like that!!!

This is just so delightful...once again, Sketch!!! And NO!!!....we do NOT want you to stop!!! This is just too entertaining and wonderful for you and Sketch, Jr to stop!!!!

RobertSWade
01-20-2010, 03:52 PM
And suddenly, a new phrase comes into existence: Trans-generational synergy.
This is some pretty amazing stuff! :eek:

Valerie
01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Sketch terrific work done by both of you.:):):)

SCP
01-20-2010, 05:07 PM
G'DAY!
This is awesome Sketch and Sketch Jnr! A great idea and it's wonderful to see father and son joining forces in the Art world.:):):):)

byroncallas
01-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Eddie, I think this is turning into my favorite thread ever. There is no way you're going to get anybody here to make you stop. This is inspirational. If you did one of these a week, 52 at the end of a year, it would be a marvelous life-long tribute and gift to your son to look back on when he is older. And what a great way to bond with your son. Wouldn't it be wonderful to print them all out at the end of a year or so and bind them in a book to then give to him, say, when he turns 13, or 18, etc. just as a thought?

The art is wonderful, the idea is inspired. If you kept this thread going for a year, you can count on me as a constant visitor. :)

EDIT: I forgot to add, this shows a whole other side of your creative genius - the expressiveness in the paintings riding on Sketch Jr.s coattails is awesome. It seems you both have a lot to contribute to each other's evolving self-expressions. :):)

pai
01-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Me too, this will be my favorite thread to see father and son creations/paintings. It's more than just the art. The last one is so beautiful both his imagination and your dreamy color palette. I really love it. :):)

Sketchism71
01-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Thank you so much Coops!:)
Thanks Alkratzer! Glad it gave you a chuckle... Me too!:D
Thanks for stopping by Albert!:)
Thanks for the comment Caesar! Glad you liked it!:D
Thank you so much mannafig! This is a whole lot of fun!:)
Ha ha... Thank you Eileen! Yes, it appears someone spiked his eggnog!:D
Trans-generational Synergy! I love it! Thank you Robert!:)
Thank you Valerie for the wonderful comment!:D
Thanks Scott! These are definitely concepts I would never think of on my own...lol! Thanks for checking it out!:)
Thanks for the motivating and encouraging comment Byron! My wife and I were just talking about creating a book of these right before I read your comment! It would make a great gift for the grand parents and like you said for them when they are older to look back on! THANK YOU so much!:D:D
Thank you Pai for the wonderful comment!

A couple more, The first one is a sketch done by my younger son who is 4. He doesn't draw as much as my older son. He is to busy with his Lego's!

The Dancing Elephant was a sketch done by my oldest a few years ago when he was 4 or 5.

Thanks again for checking these out, they are a blast to paint!!!

AT-TA
01-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I see the snowman is danzing, also elefant is danzing... what a party the have....that elefant is a gem...yes, the talent is showing through every little work....

RobertSWade
01-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Here! Here! to Byron's comment!
This is a most fascinating thread to say the least. The outcomes are absolutely stunning.
:eek:

Lima
01-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Sketch, wonderful association. I agree with all comments. This is certainly a place to visit forever. The art is simply stunning.:eek:

byroncallas
01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Beautiful, happy, enlivening new additions. The more I see these the more I find a brilliant concept. There IS a book here, and even a story. If I found this idea executed as brilliantly as here in a book in a bookstore, I'd buy - no kidding. Something fantastic is happening here. :):):):):):)

Edit: Just as a technical note, I'm particularly astonished how your staying true to your son's line produces such fantastic results. It's something I wouldn't have guessed would happen. I swear there is a lesson in there somewhere. There is a LOT about this exercise you both are undertaking that is thoroughly fascinating.

Eileen724
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM
That snowman is simply incredible the way you've painted it, Sketch! It has that dimensional (3-D) thing going on!!! Oh course, the elephant on the hill is just pure delight as well! This is definitely one of my absolute favorite ongoing threads to visit - thanks to Sketch and his two sons!

Sketchism71
01-21-2010, 06:34 PM
AT-TA, Robert, Oriane, Byron, and Eileen - Thank you so much for the awesome comments. I'm glad you guy's are enjoying these because I'm having such a good time creating them! Your comments are priceless to me!:D:D

Byron - Thank you for the great comment however, after I read what you said about staying true to his lines I realized I never went back to his sketch and compared mine with his when I finished. I had to adjust a few things... It's easy to start going of on tangents and start creating things I want to be there but are not in his drawing. I trace his original work and force myself to stay within his lines. Whatever I do within his lines and his composition is fair game. Those are my silly little rules with doing these. I find that if I don't stay within his lines, the image quickly looses the "child art" look. It then becomes something very strange that is in a world of it's own...lol! Here is the edited version after I checked the painting with his traced sketch. Thanks again!:):):)

flyashy
01-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi Sketch,
This is a fantastic idea & brilliant manifestation!
Congratulations to both of you!
And I totally agree that we need a child's eye to see the 'real' world around us in it true, unconditioned, reality, and you've quite successfully managed to borrow that vision!
Great work!

coops
01-21-2010, 10:42 PM
I love this thread Sketch. Such wonderful drawing and then such wonderful paintings. Please keep them coming:)

mannafig
01-21-2010, 11:49 PM
What an adveture everytime a new painting/drawing is added these are great:):)

SCP
01-22-2010, 11:58 AM
G'Day Sketch and Sketch Jnr I have to tell you guys ,I love the Elephant Hill!! :cool:;):)

Sketchism71
01-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Fly, Katie, mannafig, and Scott, thank you all for checking out the thread!:):):D:D

Now this was fun to paint! Jaden helped guide me through the finishing touches on it after school today! I don't know if he was more intrigued or freaked out by it! lol...:D:D

flyashy
01-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Mr.Sketchism Sr. & Mr.Sketchism Jr.!
OMG, this one is fantastic!!!!
I love the concept of the purple people eater, with all those extra eyes, and the bag of firecrackers (or is it dynamite??lol)

and
I love the lighting and the superb execution!!
Brilliant details- I was just drooling over all that saliva..;) lol!

I can just see this in some children's book that's destined to be a global hit!!

kudos,

flyguy

byroncallas
01-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Continued inspiration. And I think Scott (SCP) is going to have a special appreciation of this one.

Nice that Sketch Jr. is now providing some art direction. A nice new twist on an evolving theme. :):)

Eileen724
01-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Your version Sketch, definitely has more of the "creep" factor for me!!! It's all of those realistic eyes staring at me so I understand if Jaden is freak out about this! Despite this, it is just a wonderful delight no matter what!!!

Caesar
01-22-2010, 11:08 PM
More and more stunning, dear friend!
I imagine You're becoming more and more intimate and accomplice with Your kid by sharing these creations and Your mutual love and admiration is growing exponentially, if possible.
In a way You're link is similar to that with his mom during pregnancy since You take visual ideas from conception to delivery ...

coops
01-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Another great sketch and paintings. This thread is a joy Sketch:)

Sketchism71
01-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Thanks Fly! Yes, it is a bag of dynamite. I started off with the idea of painting his entire drawing which consisted of the Purple People Eater guy, explosions, a rat next to a rat trap, a dragon in the sky, a burning building, 2 crows, 5 bats and another type of blob monster in the background. It would have been a sci-fi epic!!! Thanks for the great comment!:D

That is a brilliant comparison Caesar! lol!!! However, my wife would like to tell you... "Not Even Close!" lol!!! Thanks for the great comment and a good laugh Caesar!!!:D:D

Thanks again Byron for checking back! Jaden is really liking this but I've noticed that he is being careful about his drawings lately knowing he may see them come to life! lol!:D

Thanks Eileen! The 3D light and shadow do add a certain degree of the creep factor! Makes me wonder about the image they have in their head when they draw something like this...:D

Thanks for stopping by and the comment Katie!:D

Sketchism71
01-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Here is another. It is strange that my style seems to change depending on the sketch. Also, an independent style seems easier to achieve in traditional media because you tend to use the same medium (acrylic, oil, pencil) so all your art work looks similar. With AR, I have a small arsenal in my artbox and it feels like my individual style is all over the place.:confused:

Two different versions of this. With and without knifed in sun rays. Not sure which one I prefer.

sabena
01-23-2010, 10:12 AM
hi

great work fantastic paintings:eek::D:D:D

coops
01-23-2010, 12:18 PM
These are brilliant Sketch:)