PDA

View Full Version : For Haiti

Rob in Denver
01-16-2010, 03:15 AM
This was drawn during a sleepless night last night, from images in my head of the bodies piled in the streets of the wrecked city, one in particular was frozen in this position. Some will see it as a Christ figure, though that was not really my intention, but I can see how it might look that way now. The background figures I hoped would represent the people of Haiti once more digging out from tragedy. Donate if you can! Click to make larger, it is more compelling that way..

Sketchism71
01-16-2010, 07:13 AM
This communicates loudly the tragedy that has stricken this poor country Rob. Very well expressed! Tragedies like this tend to put my life in order of importance rather quickly. Creating this image Rob is a human expression to communicate words we can't seem to find. Thank you for doing this.

jonwood
01-16-2010, 08:09 AM
this is a picture that tells a story...unfortunately a sad one...

coops
01-16-2010, 08:14 AM
So emotive Rob and so sad.

dali
01-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Very powerful work Rob. I sat looking through pictures of the destruction and just had to cry.

NetworkGraphic
01-16-2010, 09:07 AM
So emotive Rob and so sad.

Indeed. Well done Rob.

Peter Pinckney
01-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Rob you've summed up the despair of the human race in the face of Nature's unseeing, uncomprehending wrath.....................like most of us here, I'm a parent...........and the sight of a mother with her dead child beside her on this unforgiving Earth.......... cut me to the quick............I can only say this sadly............well done my Friend.

Lima
01-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Rob, there are no words to express our feeling of sorrow for so much suffering of the Haitian people. You, as a great artist managed to convey emotion with your painting.:(:(:(

AT-TA
01-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Rob. your picture says it all.... a Peter i like your expression :"this unforgiving earth " yes , she is sometime very cruel.... and we will love her anyway...

Very good work, Rob.

Evart
01-16-2010, 11:56 AM
This is a beautiful tribute Rob :)

Rob in Denver
01-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the replies, I hoped to present an image of horror really, and feel some success, though I wish for better. Confusion, death, blood, rubble, human activity despite the horror, nothing pleasant really. Reality, in this case.
I heard on the car radio on my way home yesterday, an NPR reporter, break down in tears as he tried to describe a young girl, who was laying alone on the street, band aids had been applied to her wounds, and she had been covered with a sheet, she appeared to be alone in that wrecked city and badly hurt. I wondered if he had been forced to simply leave her there. I wondered what had happened to her, as night fell.
My own comfortable bed troubled me, and I was haunted by this one child, among who knows how many. I was up a good part of the night.
Thats how this image came about.

RobertSWade
01-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Most of you don't know Rob as well as I do. Rob has a tender heart that he occasionally wears on his sleeve. Rob is the kind of person who feels the need to aplogize for using a religious icon to convey the pain he feels about a human tragedy.
Rob, this is a movng image that conveys all of the best of how you feel about the human suffering that is happening in Haiti. Yes, it can be seen as a "Christ figure" but what is a "Christ figure" if not an icon of suffering?
This is both an example of well constructed "emotional art" and "art as therapy".
Well done on all levels, my friend. Sleep Sweetly.

foxytocin
01-17-2010, 01:05 AM
Rob, I hope this helped your work through some of the emotion.........the result pulses with energy.

mannafig
01-17-2010, 01:43 AM
A very moving tribute:):)
My daughters school did a one day fundraiser for Haiti donating all the money they get for snacks and whatever parents could spare they managed to raise over 400 in one day.

Khalid_ipda
01-17-2010, 04:09 AM
Dear Rob, I personally feel very sympathetic towards the earthquake victims in Haiti. Painting, you can describe how horrible the events.

Caesar
01-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Dear Rob, the enormous tragedy of Haiti struck us all with images of incredibly painful scenes!
Maybe it's not by mere chance that Jesus Christ's image appeared to remind us that His real and concrete living presence on the Earth, as well as in Heaven, will be assured up to the ultimate day of His glorious arrival to all of us and especially the ones who are suffering, as He did fully sharing our human condition so as we might share God's essence though Him!
In front of such disasters and mourning, He's the only hope and promise that, as it happend two millennia ago, any pain, no matter how deep, will ultimately have an end, but we may earn a neverending life and joy in God's love. Amen!
Let's contribute to subscription and donation then. It's nice to know of the prompt intervention from all over the world to provide some relief to those poor brothers and sisters ...

Eileen724
01-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Rob....what you wanted to convey in your painting has come through loud and clear and anyone viewing this beautiful piece can see that. It is a terrible, terrible tragedy that we all can learn from and provide whatever help we can offer - even if it is just prayers and good thoughts to those suffering in Haiti.

This is an amazing piece and so are all the warm and wonderful comments made in this thread. With Rob's painting and everyone's kind words (especially you, our dear Robert), this is one of the most compelling threads in this forum to date. God bless you, Rob and all that have commented to his beautiful painting and most of all, God bless to all those suffering in Haiti.....

byroncallas
01-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Rob, I'll just echo everyone's thoughts about the horror and sadness of this tragedy and my appreciation your manner of sharing your emotions about it. The work is beautiful, from the heart, and communicates. The large size has considerable emotional impact, at least for me.

Reading the responses from everyone reminds me what I like about this community, it's depth of spirit. Your painting is one more reminder of that, and also a reminder to those of us more fortunate to reflect with gratitude and to the extent we can to lend a helping hand to those who are suffering.

Alexandra
01-17-2010, 02:17 PM
A very moving tribute indeed Rob.

pai
01-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Very expressive and powerful painting. Emotionally touched by this one you did.