PDA

View Full Version : Seasons Fairy

dali
01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
I finished the portrait of a seasons fairy. It was originally a portrait of my niece, but I wanted to make it different, so I turned her into a fairy. The seasons changing was added later because I wanted something different in the background, thus the tree of four seasons. She changes the seasons as she walks.

Most of it was the new watercolor tool, and I made the leaves especially for this piece and then created a sticker sheet for them. Then I just pasted them where I needed and added shadows. (cool tool by the way, I'm loving it.)

Thanks for looking!

L Skylar Brown
01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
A Rather Spectacular Outcome!

Eileen724
01-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Dali, this is just extraordinary work! I love what you've done with this! Taking your niece's image and morphing her into a beautiful and adorable fairy then adding the four seasons background is just fabulous!

debsym62
01-13-2010, 10:00 AM
That is fantastic. I love the colours.

byroncallas
01-13-2010, 10:11 AM
This is great Dali - fine work all around. And I love the expression on her face - a fairy with attitude. Great guns in using the sticker tool. I like the idea of making a sticker uniquely for a particular painting. It gives a certain creaative intentionality to the overall effort. All those rumination aside, bottom line, this is terrific work. :):)

barnburner
01-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Really cool idea, and obviously, extremely well done.

Caesar
01-13-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm always a little ashamed when I see serious and actual artpieces like this one, dear Michelle! I love also very much the vegetation neat style. Excellent!

dali
01-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Thank you for the compliments, guys.

Byron, I think it makes like easy. I made 8 leaves and just clicked where they went. I LOVE that tool! I also tweaked the color for the fall leaves in photoshop and then loaded them back up. I still have trouble with the actual sticker tool, can't quite figure that one out, but the sticker sheet is pretty easy.

Caesar, we are both artists painting what we love to paint in our own styles. ;)

Alexandra
01-13-2010, 12:42 PM
I love this painting! Beautiful in every way, and the girl is stunning. :):):):):):)

JosepM
01-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Very impresive. All is watercolor?

Valerie
01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Dali this is beautiful.

pai
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Very beautiful and excellent painting. It's nice to see how you made used of the leave sticker. Love how you painted the hair. Is the hair also watercolor? Very fine work, Dali. :)

Evart
01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
I love it. Wow, this is stunning!

dismagartist
01-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Great expression captured on her face. Leaves are very cool.

coops
01-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Wonderful painting Dali, one to be very proud of and treasure:)

Mairzie Dotes
01-13-2010, 11:13 PM
dali,
I know this fairy well. She visits throughout the year with her gifts
of the four seasons with an ever changing palette of inspiration for
mind and spirit. Absolutely gorgeous ... so precious! :)

byroncallas
01-14-2010, 03:42 AM
...I still have trouble with the actual sticker tool, can't quite figure that one out, but the sticker sheet is pretty easy.

Dali, a great exercise for getting a handle on the sticker spray gun tool is to create a sticker (like your leaf), and select it for output in the spray gun. Then open the spray variation panel from the settings panel for the tool and spend a whole day subtly adjusting the dials while also varying your brush size, the color selection, the spray rate, and the shadow settings. Do this while reading the manual section that reviews the general settings for the spray variation dials. Just playing with it like this with random trial and error and seeing what happens as you go will kind of blow your mind and be fascinating as all get out. It's really worth a day of just playing. By the end of the day, the essentials kind of go "clunk" and you're off on a new diversion and explosion of new ideas. That day for me was one of my most fun with the new tools. I just kept going "oh my God, this is so cool" about every 42 seconds. :):):):)

Cycles4Fun
01-14-2010, 04:20 AM
Clever idea and well executed.

Sketchism71
01-14-2010, 04:53 AM
This turned out wonderful Dali!:D:D

dali
01-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone and

Byron, I actually did mess around with the spray gun tool for about 2-3 days when I first bought the program, but I made the mistake of trying to create a vine for the spray gun right off the bat. I failed miserably and ended up making something that resembled a rose stem sprayed randomly around the screen. I think I might know a different way to go about it, but so far I've made small stickers for the spray tool, gems, hearts, nothing with a lot of depth though, only 2D stuff. Even though I tried making the glossy maps and texture maps, they didn't seem to load up correctly and it ended up being just a static 2D image. I'm still messing with it, but I'm in the middle of an iphone app project, so all the playing will have to wait.
Like you Byron, I spent half a week showing my sister and my husband all the cool new features. I think he was about to get sick of hearing me exclaim, "Oh, look what else it can do! That is so cool!" I ended up buying a copy for my sister (along with a bamboo fun for xmas) and a copy for my kids to enjoy on their computer.

Pai, I blocked in the hair color with the watercolor brush and then drew in the individual strands with the smoothing pencil tool. (that is a fab tool in its own right as well.)

JosepM, Most of the painting is watercolor. Almost all of the fairy is with the exception of the wings, then I went partially metallic for some texture. The snow is the roll brush, the grass is the lovely grass sticker spray (gotta LOVE that one, what a time saver) The background trees are the particles sticker spray I believe then blurred because they were background, and the leaves and flowers were painted with the watercolor brush.

Mairzie, thanks, she comes around here all too often. (she must be manic considering Texas weather.) :)

mannafig
01-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Looks beautiful:):)

byroncallas
01-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Dali - LOL - my wife and your husband I think can share war stories. :)

dali
01-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Byron, you're probably right. I think he's happy I found something that wasn't terribly expensive to play with and now he just wonders if I'll be able to make any money with it. We'll see. ;)