PDA

View Full Version : Royal Orange Update II (3 paintings)

Caesar
01-13-2010, 02:42 AM
The fruit is imaginary one, no reference.

Believe me or not, except for the light and the shadow in the background, this was made with watercolours only (two layers, no dry setting and use of metallic on the fruit). The blending knife and eraser was also used (soft and wet at appropriate settings here and there).
The procedure, however, by trial and errors even understanding the various setting effects, doesn't fit high speed painting though ....

The second example is mainly based on the roller, as for the background, and on the paint tube, as for the orange itself. Once again use of metallic, airbrush for highlighting and shading, a little watercolour on the shadoms and, as usual, some blender knife and eraser.

I hope You'll find it interesting anyway ...

NEW IMAGINARY ORANGE RENDERING TEST.
ADDED A NEW 2 LAYER WATERCOLOUR ON CHALK EXPERIMENT.

Alexandra
01-13-2010, 04:24 AM
Cesare, The colors are vibrant and beautiful. Nice experiment, and indeed interesting.:)

Caesar
01-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Maybe I will eventually discover there are special sticker brushes for any of these textures too, dear Sandra ...:(:D
Thank You!

ScottF
01-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Itīs always interesting to your experiments, Caesar! Both are great, though I think I like the first one best.

screenpainter
01-13-2010, 06:34 AM
These are beautifully done. The rendering of the skin suggests the texture perhaps better than any oranges I have seen. The color is fantastic. Well done.

Caesar
01-13-2010, 06:51 AM
Thank You, dear Scott and Albert.
Anyway some day I'll have to put a still life composition in front of me to get a reference so as not to make the effort to rely on my imagination and memory only ....

pai
01-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Very nice experiments and the paintings as well. I like how you use different tools to create the skin textures. :)

Evart
01-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Mmm, it's one of my favorite fruits :)

Caesar
01-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Thank You, dear Pai!
As I said, it's likely that similar textur effects may be created in dozens of alternative ways now with AR3. There are new grains, brushes of various types among the stickers ... It would take a century to test all their combinations ...

Dear Evart, right choice! One of the best fruit to take C vitamin against flues!:D Thank You!

saddy
01-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Those looks very neat! Nice color!

Caesar
01-13-2010, 11:02 PM
So the experiment succeeded, dear Saddy? I just think that the firt one is a little floating on the table. Unfortunately my imagination quite evidently cannot simulate reality in all details ...:( Thank You! :)

byroncallas
01-14-2010, 04:08 AM
Caesar, these are GREAT exercises, especially for no reference. Really. Impressive. :):):)

Caesar
01-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Thank You very much, dear Byron! Here's the third exercise too in the upated version ...

It took really little time this way ...
I provide herebelow the two layers ( I messed a little bit among the two in the hurry, as You can see).

foxytocin
01-15-2010, 01:33 AM
The texture on this third one is marvelous, Caesar!

Sketchism71
01-15-2010, 02:49 AM
This is fascinating Caesar and nicely done in all of them! A tremendous exercise of skill to paint from imagination. You have done an Excellent job my friend. Paintings from reference tend to have much greater accuracy in detail but I believe there is a limit to what can be learned while painting from reference. True impression from the mind (though more difficult) is vastly more educational to the artist. This new year, I am going to force myself to do more paintings free from reference. These are a great test to see how my "true" artist skills have (if at all) improved. Thanks for sharing these!:)

Caesar
01-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Thank You, dear Foxy!
I really appreciate Your artistic sensitivity which is stunning and I agree with You!

Thank You very much dear Sketch!
I would say that the problem with references is also that if You have a particularly fertile imagination and You want to compose a complex scene, it would be hard to find and put together all the necessary references (also for non existing things) under the same light sources. For most of my ideas, it would have taken quite a lot to collect references ... Moreover I find that, in a way, painting by memory and exercise, may eventually leave You more free and even speedy (although You have to be prepared to face frustrations too, especially in front of the marvels You may get with references and meticulous techniques and processes).

sandyg
01-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Great experiments Caesar, I like 1 and 3 best, i also enjoy eating them.
Sandyg.

mannafig
01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Wonderful experimenting my dear Cesare they look good enough to eat:):)

Caesar
01-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm pleased by You compliment, dear Sandy and I agree with You on the choice, since they are the two looking more like paintings and less as a digitally and a little fake realistic simulation... Thanks.

Thank You, my dear friend Amanda and welcome back! We've been missing You for a while.
I don't dare to apply these technique to a human figure and its skin then ... I wouldn't like someone would have the same though, a cannibal I mean ...:D

mannafig
01-16-2010, 11:09 AM
It is good to be back my dear friend I have missed you all too:):). unfortunately my hubbies dad passed away on top of christmas everything has just been topsy turvy and only just settled back to normal. I should be able to post a bit more again now.
You could certainly apply this technique to some of your monster creations my dear Cesare;):D