PDA

View Full Version : GALLERY: Dutch summer landscapes with an eyewink to Vincent van Gogh

Briex
01-11-2010, 06:33 AM
In Zundert, a village few miles from my home, Vincent van Gogh was born in 1853. Today I painted a landscape (somewhere in South Limburg, the Netherlands) in the style of Van Gogh to understand his way of painting. Btw the colours I used are the colours Van Gogh used during his life in France.

Painting a Van Gogh style painting with ArtRage was great. This painting took me 7 hours to produce. I had a plain internet photo picture as reference and painted it 100% in oilbrush.

P.s. You see my here my full painting and a detail.

This gallery thread will get more landscapes from my hand in Van Gogh style to keep them all in one post.

Greeneyes
01-11-2010, 06:41 AM
One great painting makes me want to travel and see it in person

Bobbyray
01-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Excellent job! Vincent Van Briex Gogh ..... hehe

Jules
01-11-2010, 06:48 AM
wowza! very good rendering deffo VG stylee

byroncallas
01-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Briex, beautiful in every respect. You sure seem to quickly achieve a certain excellence and elegance in any "style" you seem to experiment with. Hardly seems possible, yet, here are your stunning results. Terrific work. :)

ScottF
01-11-2010, 07:55 AM
These are very very good! Keep playing with styles--it works for you!

hanzz
01-11-2010, 07:56 AM
I will visit you Van Gogh thread very often. You really it make your own style with a vincent-twist in it. Very cool.
As him you are driven with this 'need to paint'.

think about ear-protection, will ya?

Eileen724
01-11-2010, 09:38 AM
I really like your Van Gogh style painting, Briex...it's just wonderful! You've done Van Gogh proud!

RobertSWade
01-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Works for me. I think you nailed the interpretation very well. The sky in the top image is amazing! :)

AT-TA
01-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Yes, so much VanGoghy, one wouldn't be able to say it was not the VG himself, who painted this. Very pretty landscape ....
I too am learning from masters i like, that i study their works with my brushes. ANd you've done the wonderfull job here.Yes, bring more of them here...:)

Briex
01-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the compliments.

Yes, the sky looks pretty but is quiet simply made: a full ocre yellow undergrond and on top I painted just with 1 colour on the ocre yellow: wet in wet. With a lot of brush load and pressure the blue paint mixes with the ocre yellow which gives an ocean warm aqua blue and swirl/movement in the air.

We all can learn from our old masters just by trying to copy an artwork of them to get the right feeling of colours and brush strokes. About 20 years ago I copy painted a Van Gogh painting in oil on canvas, that felt very special (http://www.dagjeweg.nl/img/dagjeweg/vg35b-nacht-6457.jpg). So now and then I go to Amsterdam to visit the Van Gogh museum.

Lima
01-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Outstanding:eek::eek::eek:

Briex, consult van Gogh letters HERE (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26132)

Albert
01-11-2010, 01:11 PM
quite good................

Evart
01-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Beautiful, simply beautiful!

Alexandra
01-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I love Van Gogh, and you painted this so well Briex. Wonderful!:)

iceaxe
01-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Now that must have been fun! :)

Briex
01-11-2010, 07:05 PM
This might be interesting for you. The size I made this painting in ArtRage is 3810 x 2982 pixels (1270 x 994 mm, 762 dpi). From .ptg I saved it as a .png file and the file size is 32,5 Mb, and ofcourse to put it in this forum I'd to downscale it and saved the copy as a .jpg. Lucky enough my Mac is powerfull enough and has a big screen to handle the big size. This allows me to work on even the smallest detail and which is handy when I want to print this one on a large canvas.

Btw this is my first painting with ArtRage 3 StudioPro.

Briex
01-12-2010, 04:46 PM
The wine estate Apostelhoeve in Maastricht. Wheat, gras and grapes in Van Gogh style painted in 5 hours: 100% oil brush... (improved version, original see AR gallery)

http://www.briex.eu/Apostelhoeve-Maastricht-by-Briex-AR1.jpg

hanzz
01-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Wooow ! I really think you found your niche !
This is very good ArtRage Art !!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

coops
01-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Great paintings again Briex. Its always exciting to see what you post and you dont disappoint:)

Briex
01-13-2010, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. I had to change the Apostelhoeve wine estate painting to the better. My first painting (original see AR Gallery) was too "Mediterranean". I now got rid of the red baked roof tiles and white chalked walls. Even the blue Mediterranean sky has become now a more Dutch Summer sky. Ofcourse the previous sky was more lively but to me a bit over the top screeming for attention.

Btw the roofs in this update version are now in limestone and the walls in sand stone which are the original construction and architectural materials from this region.

I find it better 'cause it's less romantic, less Van Gogh and painted more to the reality.

AT-TA
01-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Briex, may I ask.... on what kind and size of monitor are you painting?Are you using two of them, or do you have that huge screened monitor... because when i am painting... i have to see the whole scene constantly, not just the portion i am painting... if i make a sense...bu i still paint on one monitor in much smaller pixels then you do...and have too often to zoom in and out...
Your paintings look so traditional as Orianes are also... and this is what i want to achieve painting with artrage program. You know, i was accused of cheating, when people thought that my work was done in real oils....i think just AR programs can do this....and your paintings are very much worth of printing, they would look beautiful on anybodys wall...

The roofs: i am a red color freak....something like a turkey, you know... and i would paint the red roofs, it complements nicely with green but you have your own idea and in both ways... very enjoyable to watch your paintings... i just wish i had the same skill as you have....so bring more of pretty paintings... they are a pleasure to look at .....

screenpainter
01-13-2010, 07:28 AM
these are amazing. I think you are very close to his paint style.

Briex
01-13-2010, 08:16 AM
OH MY GOD!! I changed the painting again, for the third time. I found the previous sky too plain. I have now also put sky light on the vineyard hill etc.

AT-TA I have an iMac, screen size 1920 x 1200 and works pretty comfortable.

The original ArtRage painting size with this wine estate scenery is 4000 x 2568 pixels, 250 dpi and is in total about 82 Mb. My iMac (with Intell duo processor) can handle it easily.

About the roof tops and building walls. Indeed red roofs and white chalked walls look better but are Mediterranean. Maastricht is the most southern city of the Netherlands, capital of the province Limburg and I have now tried to keep the wine estate's original colours to meet the original situation. The estate has dark baked roof tiles and the walls are build out of local sand stone which they mined from surrounding hills. I want to avoid the impression that this landscape is somewhere in Southern Franc or Italy.

Wine estate the Apostelhoeve (Apostel Farmhouse) is one of the oldest wine estates in the Netherlands: more info at http://www.apostelhoeve.nl. Holland is becoming more and more a true respected wine producing country due to the climate change and counts already many award winning wine estates. Dutch wine volumes are still modest, but the quality is very high and exclusive.

http://www.briex.eu/Apostelhoeve-Maastricht-by-Briex-AR1.jpg

pai
01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Beautiful painting with your own way of Van Gogh touch. Actually I prefer the first one before you enhanced the sky lighting. The sky and clouds show more contrast on my screen for the first one. Great piece. :)

Mairzie Dotes
01-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Briex,
Breathtaking landscapes ... breathtaking artistry. What masterful
wonders on canvas these are. Exceptionally beautiful! :)

Sketchism71
01-14-2010, 06:04 AM
These are EXCELLENT! Briex you seem to have really mastered a style (yes is much like Van Gogh) but very much Briex! The colors and design of these are top notch. Brilliant work my friend!:eek::D

Briex
01-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the comments. The show goes on. Here my latest. Some wheatfields in the Dutch province Limburg.

http://www.briex.eu/Korenvelden-Limburg-by-Briex-AR1.jpg

Briex
01-16-2010, 04:13 AM
Some wheatfields surrounding Beusdael Castle in Sippenaeken in Belgium, viewed from the Dutch border near Epen.

Enjoy!http://www.briex.eu/Beusdael-Sippenaeken-by-Briex-AR.jpg

Lima
01-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Briex without words ... just applause.:eek::eek::eek:

AT-TA
01-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Here again, it is still beautiful...

mannafig
01-16-2010, 12:13 PM
wonderful:):)

Briex
01-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the comments folks. That latest one, the one with the castle, took me 5 hours work: 100% oilbrush only. Original ArtRage canvas size is 3000 pixels width, 82Mb.

pai
01-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Beautiful brush strokes on the last two paintings. Especially like the wheat field one. :) Just curious do you really need to you exact Van Gogh palette, or you are incorporated some of your own color?

silvy
01-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Great work:):):), beautiful paintings

Sunflower
01-18-2010, 04:35 AM
These are beautiful! Do you have a special Van Gogh colour palette? You have captured his colours so well.

Briex
01-18-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the comments. No, I work not with palette, just with Van Gogh reference paintings and the colourpicker.

Briex
01-19-2010, 02:20 AM
A little less Van Gogh, a little more Briex. Rougher done than previous landscapes... I don't know about it...it looks messy. I think I'll do this one over again but than with some ripened weat fields.

http://www.briex.eu/Cottessen-by-Briex-AR.jpg

pai
01-19-2010, 04:59 AM
I also like your last one with your own touch. More loosen strokes. Beautiful. :)

john1565
03-31-2018, 05:57 AM
It's amazing how a person's drawings are influenced by different places he was in. Van Gogh traveled in different places during his lifetime. I think if someone wants to bring variation in his creations, he should travel a lot!

D Akey
04-06-2018, 08:10 AM
Nice to see these again. Lots of old faces <sigh>

Yeah, Briex is/was an incredible artist and mastered ArtRage quickly and he seemed to really nail the quality of the historic paintings in his region. Even though his city images were what you could see today, they had a style that was reminiscent of the old paintings. So he learned from the best but made them his own.

By the way, your avatar? is huge. Don't know why it is, but it rather out shouts the paintings in the thread. ;):p

john1565
05-21-2018, 02:14 AM
Here are the image by Ban Gogh which I love:

Description of the image: Van Gogh painted variations of a view from his room at monastery St. Paul-de-Mausol. The sun and the wheat fields were two main subjects that Van Gogh used to depict on canvas. Van Gogh had a tender feeling about green wheat which was something inexpressibly pure. It reminded him of a sleeping baby growing under the rising sun which was its life giving energy.
Reference: wikitour.io/travel-destinations/field-with-rising-sun

HwyStar
05-21-2018, 03:23 AM
I had not seen Nop Briex's art before. Brilliant!

Simply awesome images: https://briex.eu/popupgallery.html

Notice the different frames he uses and how they help his art to just pop!

pat1940
05-21-2018, 07:07 AM
Just fantastic, love it

D Akey
05-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Briex is a champ. He did some amazing work. Blew my mind repeatedly especially because his paintings looked so much like traditional paintings particularly from his part of the world. The other nice thing is that he was open about his process. Glad you tripped over him and brought his thread up to look at.