PDA

View Full Version : My first color portrait

Andrei_Stefan
01-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Well, I started drawing black and white portraits but this is actually my first attempt at drawing in color.

Raybrite
01-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Very nice. I still haven't grown that far after all these years. Keep it up. Is she someone you know?:):):)

Lima
01-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Andrei, very nice indeed.:)

arenhaus
01-09-2010, 10:09 PM
The definition about the eyes and nose (especially the bridge of her nose) is completely mushy, the lips are flat, the shadows are black, there are extraneous shadows on the forehead and other places, the airbrush is overused...

It's Loomis's "Drawing Head and Hands" time for you, sir/madam! :D The site's at fineart.sk as usual.

Andrei_Stefan
01-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Thank you for the critique. Well you were right about the airbrush being overused because this is the only tool I used for the drawing :). And the crayon for the initial sketch.

Alexwegs
01-27-2010, 02:56 PM
I really like this piece. You not only portrayed her face but also did her emotion and facial expression really well. I cant see much terribly wrong with it. Its an extremely good first atempt at color. My favorite thing to draw is portraits. :)

arenhaus
01-28-2010, 12:22 AM
"Well you were right about the airbrush being overused because this is the only tool I used for the drawing"

Check out Loomis's "Figure Drawing" and "Creative Illustration" then, too. He shows ways to use hard brushes to achieve much better results.

In brief, you don't have to make everything smooth. There are always some definite planes in a face that you can enhance and either downplay or promote, to get a much livelier painting than the smooth, bland gradient of airbrush.

Airbrush is really only for special effects, it is too bland to produce good energy-filled texture or a good contour on its own. Real-world airbrush art always - always! - involves a lot of masking (stenciling) for hard edges, and conventional brush work.

Jules
01-28-2010, 12:25 AM
I HATE YOU hehe :eek::cool::D

You have a lot of detail in the face, you should extend it to the hair. I would like to see some individual strands of hair with some light reflections to make her hair look shiny, she looks like she has been washing her hair with carbolic soap. ;) Is that constructive enough :p Otherwise its spot on.:cool:

Likoum
01-28-2010, 12:43 AM
The global effect on first seeing the portrait is good, and this count too ;)

But indeed, after reading arenhaus remarks, indeed there is some part that need more work/rework ...

barnburner
01-30-2010, 11:43 AM
If I lived another 200 years, I MIGHT get good enough to do half that well. Great job!

yogsodoth
01-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Adrien,

This is great work for your first colour portrait. I'd be happy if I could produce something half so realistic with an airbrush.

Obviously there's always room for technical improvement... but this is fantastic for a first effort.

arenhaus: Part of critiquing and sharing knowledge is encouraging people and finding the positive within their work, as well as the negative. If you can't do that, you're not mentoring, you're just pushing people around and stroking your own ego. Abrupt and belligerent criticism is the hallmark of an amateur tutor.

arenhaus
01-30-2010, 11:26 PM
I am not a tutor. I am giving concrete advice how to improve a particular piece of work, when I can give concrete advice, not stroking anyone's egos or training anyone.

I can wrap 1 part of advice in 3 parts of praises easily, but the advice would still be the same, and possibly feel like a bitter pill to someone no matter what. Instead of "he criticized my work" you'd have "he praised my work at first but then made a U-turn and dissed it" feeling - is that any better?

If you feel I am belligerent, sorry. Not given in that spirit.

Jules
01-31-2010, 01:41 AM
The definition about the eyes and nose (especially the bridge of her nose) is completely mushy, the lips are flat, the shadows are black, there are extraneous shadows on the forehead and other places, the airbrush is overused...

It's Loomis's "Drawing Head and Hands" time for you, sir/madam! :D The site's at fineart.sk as usual.

over-critisism :eek: sorry hun but I dont agree with you

Juz
01-31-2010, 10:38 AM
@arenhaus. You have missed the point raised by Yogosdoth entirely. He is talking about finding the parts of a painting/drawing that ARE working as well as those that are not. If you do not understand this notion you really should refrain from dispensing your advice to anyone.

Andrei_Stefan
01-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Thank you guys for taking time on giving an opinion on my portrait. You don't have to be so harsh on arenhouse, I'm sure he had good intention in giving me those pointers and not just being over-critisising. Drawing is that kind of thing that I enjoyed as a kid but as I grew up it got pushed aside, so buying my first tablet and discovering this very cool program that came with it brought back some memories ... So thank you again for the comments and appreciation. I haven't had much time to draw something these days because of the exams I have in these period but I will put my best black and white portrait that I made so far (still with only the airbrush :)) to tell me what you think.
P.S. about that shadows that are to black, well it turns out that my five year old lcd monitor doesn't display colors correctly because I saw it on another monitor and it just looks alot different than on my monitor so I will correct that soon.