PDA

View Full Version : Avatar like? Up close with an otherworldling

Rob in Denver
01-09-2010, 02:21 AM
Spent some time on this ( not sure why, but it started out just experimenting with settings in Watercolor and airbrush) and at the end of it, my wife says in looks like something from Avatar, which I have seen zero images of so far.
Am I picking something up from the collective consciousness? No, just fooling
around in artrage3 is more likely! Larger is definitely better, you need to get up close and personal to get the full effect. Probably 8 hrs, but I lost all track of time--who knows? Or cares!

Alexandra
01-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Rob, I love this! Beautiful colors and effects.:)

byroncallas
01-09-2010, 03:36 AM
Rob - this is stunning and beautiful and endlessly explorable - there is so much in it to see. It was worth the 8 hour effort and is worth the investment of time by a viewer to sit down and spend some time with it. I love how you built it in all of it's unfolding deliberateness with new choices for placement of color, line and form one stroke at a time. It's one of my favorites from you, and is going into my favorites folders and well as my "idea reference" folder.

I do hope people will blow it up and look into it very closely. They will be rewarded for their effort.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Rob in Denver
01-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Thanks Alexandrea and Byron. Byron your review was so good I had to go back and look at it again myself, to see what you were talking about! Thanks heaps! It evolved layer upon layer.
Originally --OK I am going to admit this--it was originally going to be a wild self portrait. But it got way out of hand and morphed into Otherworldling, and I thought that was much more interesting anyway, so I followed along.
Thanks for looking~!

Alexandra
01-09-2010, 04:26 AM
Rob, I didn't want to say anything, but last night I started doing the same thing with my photo, this is bizarre. I labeled it another name as I kept adding layers and the effects were really cool. It doesn't hold a candle to yours though!

Rob in Denver
01-09-2010, 06:00 AM
I would like to see it, in any case!

Alexandra
01-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks Rob. I am still working on her though. I have to tell you, I can appreciate your time and skill involved in your painting! I have quite a ways to go until I am finished.

Rob in Denver
01-09-2010, 07:04 AM
I am liking it so far, and will be interested where it winds up!

Sketchism71
01-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Hey Rob! I didn't hear about any water main breaks in your area so I assume your plumbing went ok yesterday!:) This is fantastic and you are right about getting close up to it... Yowza! There is a lot to this image! I haven't seen Avatar yet but it does resemble what I've seen from previews. This is awesome! Do you use a preset palette on your paintings or choose color and value from the wheel as you go? Just curious, the colors in this work very well together!

Rob in Denver
01-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi Sketch--Yes, plumbing was a drag, but lived through it! As for colors, I use the tint-tone picker and almost never save the colors, just pick them randomly again and again all through the process. I am very haphazard!
Thanks for the comments!

byroncallas
01-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks Alexandrea and Byron. Byron your review was so good I had to go back and look at it again myself, to see what you were talking about! Thanks heaps! It evolved layer upon layer.
Originally --OK I am going to admit this--it was originally going to be a wild self portrait. But it got way out of hand and morphed into Otherworldling, and I thought that was much more interesting anyway, so I followed along.
Thanks for looking~!

Rob: Interesting, because I saw it as a self-portrait the INSTANT it came up on the screen. Part of the fascination for me is it seemed to be exploring facets of an inner you - facets of your experience that can't be put into words. Go figure, eh? ;):)

Sandy: keep going on that thing - something great seems to be unfolding. :)

Alexandra
01-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks Rob and Byron.
I wanted to come back and look at all of the depth and color in your painting. I can see so much detail. Your work is very interesting Rob. It is uniquely yours.
I also do not save colors, and if someone asked me how many layers, and what steps do I take, oh my gosh, I would not know where to begin! Sometimes I will start and take a few days on a project and where I end up-who knows!
I do find it really cool that we were working on a similar thing at the same time though!

RobertSWade
01-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Created on many layers and fascinating on many levels. Definately one for the print shop. :)

Eileen724
01-09-2010, 05:41 PM
This is just so cool on so many different levels, Rob! What a creative mind you have and the many hours of work really paid off. I got a kick out of how you started and ended with this! I have no idea as to the Avatar reference until I googled it and found this pic below and I see what they mean now. But, of course, I like yours so much better!!!! :D

Evart
01-10-2010, 12:29 AM
This is a great looking painting. It's cool to be blue :D

Caesar
01-10-2010, 01:07 AM
You definitely have an original, valuable, personal, new, but evocative of other movements artistic style and signature, dear Rob, a sort of Atlantis style, as it pops out in my head!

Lima
01-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Rob, as always your paintings evoke different feelings in people. Surely this painting is brilliant in the sense that it shows, perhaps, the way you think about yourself. An introspective view, I would say. Now, it's a beautiful painting. Your style is recognizable from a distance.

Rob in Denver
01-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks again everyone for the nice comments and also the harmless thoughts that this somehow is part of the inner me--I do not think so really!
I am too laid back to have such fire in my eyes, and it would be tiresome to be so intense. As always, I simple take off in any direction that catches my idle curiosity while I am painting, and so I might have turned this into a Gorilla just as easily, if had I accidentally done a mark that reminded me of fur. Off I would go then--, its going to be a Gorilla now-or a Sasquatch, but really, I don't think there is any more to it than that. I would not be portraying an inner ape then would I?
Mmmm, think I will go look to see if we have any bananas around here....

pai
01-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Rob, your work always is so creative and interesting to keep looking at it. This one is one of them. Like how you delicate to create different shapes of strokes, those spots with different color and size, but the most I like is those expressive eyes. I suggest to view at larger size. Great one. :)