PDA

View Full Version : The Green Fairy (UPDATED)

PICASO41
01-07-2010, 02:56 PM
What keeps me warm on a cold winters night you ask?

This stuff, mmm boy.

If your not careful, it will put you under the table real quick.

I dabbled around with the gloop pen, watercolor brush and the regular brush for inking lines and a little mechanical pen.

I had fun with it. I adore the sloppy look

Ralph Steadman, one of my heroes, would either be proud, or roll around a couple of times in his grave, fortunately, he's not dead yet :)

Mike

Alexandra
01-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Wow Mike, this needs to be submitted into advertising. Well done-love it!:):):):):):)

Sharlotta
01-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Cool blot-stain things! :p

Jim Walsh
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I had some of that stuff recently. Not bad! Fun painting. That would look great hanging in a restaurant.
Jim

Sketchism71
01-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Whoa whoa whoa! This is AWESOME! This kind of art makes money! Seriously, framed on a wall in a kitchen or in a magazine as advertisement. It is beautiful, professional but with a human touch. This is a top notch style! Very well done... Now show us all how you did it!!:D:D:D

byroncallas
01-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Outstanding. I agree with Sketch. Fine piece of work.

How many shots of this before you started painting????

I gather you are among the new bohemians from 1900???

:D:D:):)

AT-TA
01-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Sketchism, with all those inperfections it is very charming work and i love it.

RobertSWade
01-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Echoing some of the above, yup this is commercial looking stuff Picaso. I thought it was still illegal in The States so I stand corrected there. :)

PICASO41
01-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Thank you all for your kind, generous comments as always

Sketch, Byron

I had about 3 glasses of Milk and Kaluha's during this painting session actually. Kaluha doesn't really give you a buzz, just tastes great.

But, to answer Sketch's question...

I started by flushing out the bottle and glass with the brush tool on the "everlasting" setting, maybe 2% for a nice thick thin line approach.

I then went to work applying the greens to the bottle and glass. I went heavy with the gloop pen, ink blotting the edges, mind you, i'm juggling all kinds of green hues and tints. I then went in with different sizes of a "frosted" knife, smudging here, mixing here, that's how i achieved the really cool multi-textured effect. The last thing i put on the bottle was a little white chalk for the highlights and some little white splotches on the glass with the gloop pen.

Next step I layed down a nice sepia wash for the foreground. I covered the bottom completely and then used the eraser to remove and create the desired shape I wanted. Then i added the shadow and additional splotch effects with the gloop pen for texturing. Again a little help from a frosted knife for mixing and smudging.

I then added the text on the bottle using a pleasing font, something that related to the culinary genre? Heh

Last thing i did was the splotchy border with the gloop pen, I think at 20% and a solid fill, I just kinda let my hand make a box, applying heavy pressure here and there to achieve the ink blot effect. It's a great little tool. I wish it had additional settings for more chaotic blots and ink spill effects y'know? But i'm very satisfied with the tool.

About 7 or 8 layers all n all

Once again, thank you everyone :)

Mike

Evart
01-07-2010, 09:06 PM
I like it pica :)

screenpainter
01-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Loving that style. Now that is some amazing use of the gloop. It just keeps getting better and better!!!

iceaxe
01-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Very glassy oops classy!

Lima
01-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Picaso, brilliant, provocative, striking, above all, very well done.:eek:

Eileen724
01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
This is just wonderful, Mike...I just love your artistic approach on this one! My oldest son got a bottle of Absente at his 28th birthday party. I was the designated driver so I didn't get the opportunity to try it. He sure seemed to enjoy it though! :)

Valerie
01-08-2010, 12:45 PM
This is terrific and I think I need some. LOL

Chibi J
01-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Man you are sure right about the putting you under the table real quick or in my Hubs case the bathroom floor, he won't underestimate that drink again. A well done picture :)

pai
01-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Very refreshing green and I like this sloppy style of yours..very loose. It makes me watch to draink this...haha.. Great painting. :)