PDA

View Full Version : Layer exercise (moab bridge)

JustinB
01-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Here's a quick one I did over the last hour or so- just to get familiar with using different layers. I'm not sure if I really like it for this kind of painting. It's hard to show distance if you can't blend between layers. Anyway I used 3 reference photos- from Moab (UT), the Colorado River and the La Sal Mountain range.

JustinB
01-06-2010, 10:22 AM
don't know why I didn't think of this before....

gilles
01-06-2010, 10:36 AM
I would be cool if you could slightly blur all but one layer (maybe the middle one) to create a "photographic effect" where only one area of interest is in focus. Nice job...

Gilles

Alexandra
01-06-2010, 11:40 AM
The colors and landscaping are so rich and beautifully painted. :):):):)

Valerie
01-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Justin what a great painting, I like colors you used.

Evart
01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
I like the landscape, sort of reminds me of a video game scene.

JustinB
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all your comments! In retrospect, I really should have put this in the WIP section but I didn't realize I was going to get so hooked on this painting. I'm gonna keep playing around with this and see what happens.

byroncallas
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
This is a treat. I'm enjoying watching you build this. I've subscribed to the thread - I'd like to follow this through to completion. :)

A note on your layer's comment above: , if you like having a single layer to accomplish some certain blends, at what for you is the right stage, just merge the relevant layers and work those edges together to your heart's content. I do that as a common practice and get the best of both worlds, layers to build, but then merged layers to work final integrations. Sometimes that takes some advance planning, but the principle has been an effective one for me. :)

JustinB
01-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks Byron! I'll definitely keep that in mind in the future.

iceaxe
01-06-2010, 07:17 PM
A refreshing piece of art to view at the conclusion of a long and tiring day!

saddy
01-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Neat! I like it. Nicely colored. :)

JustinB
01-07-2010, 05:39 AM
Added some detail to the cliffs; felt like you couldn't breath in there so I added some more green.

I Just added a bit to the mountain range and I'll probably put this to the side for a while and come back to it later. This one's been a lot of fun though and I'm sure I'll revisit it soon!