PDA

View Full Version : On a Dutch Beach.... always looking for that perfect composition and light.

Briex
01-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Just want to share with you the "Byron" technique. Minimum oil brush, maximum knife... for the rest nothing. For this painting, colour balance, material expression and above all a nice and unpredictable composition forced me to make this beach painting. Why to bother you with the face of somebody you do not know? It's the action of her right hand which needs attention in this painting. Sky, horizon? No sky, no horizon! Your imagination tells you that there are both for certain, the horizon and the sky. How cool it is to paint wet North Sea sand and tanned skin. This is a super clean beach in the Dutch province Zeeland.

When you Google at images for 'Henry Potthast beach', you will see some great impressionism beach paintings this great artist made. Wonderfull.

I included also a detail so that you can study the paint, the brush and knife strokes. ArtRage... what a great way of painting. Enjoy it.

D Akey
01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
How in the heck did this get by everybody?

This is a seriously fantastic painting. Other than the color not being really intense, with this painterly quality it's like Saroyan and Hopper rolled into one.

Wonderful paint mixing. You really got the form beautifully and also the texture and reflective quality of the sheen of water on the sand. Really really fine work!!!!!

:):):):):)

Sketchism71
01-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Another fantastic painting Briex! I too wonder how this slipped by. The water/sand effect in this is incredible and the brush work is awesome!!

There are so many paintings being posted in the gallery lately that some of them fly through to fast. Glad you caught this one DA before it got to the dreaded 3rd page.

Well done Briex!!:eek:

byroncallas
01-06-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm just gonna echo D'Akey and Sketch - I think they nailed it. Beautiful. :):):)

AT-TA
01-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Gorgeous brush work Briex... and palette...everything what was already said before me... congratulation!!!:)

Evart
01-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Wow, this looks great. I like the texture of the mud :)

coops
01-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Superb brushwork Briex, love the water and sand over her fingers:)

Bumble
01-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Wonderful work.....:):):):D

Dany51
01-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Excellent work,
the problem with the knife is that gives some gray areas sometimes but you did it well .:)

foxytocin
01-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Briex, not only are you a gifted artist, you are a teacher as well.....

justjean
01-07-2010, 02:04 AM
Oh when I grow young again I want to paint like you, this is wonderful

Briex
01-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the comments folks. I stay at my case that when the famous artists of the past had a digi camera and ArtRage they would have used those media.

ArtRagers, we are the paint artists of this millennium!

Lima
01-07-2010, 09:02 AM
The water/sand effect is outstanding:eek::eek::eek:. Very difficult to obtain. A real work of art. Congratulations Briex.

AT-TA
01-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the comments folks. I stay at my case that when the famous artists of the past had a digi camera and ArtRage they would have used those media.

ArtRagers, we are the paint artists of this millennium!

Briex i think the same... especially Michellangelo or DaVinci.. i can see them using Artrage brushes and canvasses.... gee... what they would think about watercolor brushesand painting on layers...,nah... Micki wouldn't like layers.:)