PDA

View Full Version : Amy on the rocks

337_lee
01-05-2010, 02:11 AM
After days browsing this forum to see only a portion of the art, and viewing many of the tutorials here, I decided that I was going to try a picture with water in it. After all, it was supposed to be easy, according to the good word I got here.

Turns out it's not as easy as it was made out to be! At least for me. In any event, it's been good practice, and I can always come back to it later once I've made a little progress on my technique. :)

This is from a photo of my daughter while we were on vacation in Taiwan. It's down at the end of a hiking trail in Taroko Gorge National Park. The painting is all oil, and WAY too much knife, I know that. Done on two layers, one for the background, one for my daughter.

I've also included the photo, and the rough sketch I traced to get me started. (not sure why I'm doing that...)

pai
01-05-2010, 02:31 AM
This is beautiful and excellent painting. Really like it. I like your own style of brush strokes for that water and very well blending too. :)

L Skylar Brown
01-05-2010, 03:52 AM
Well, this is quite excellent, first of all. Very interesting that the first piece I did when I got 3.0 was a piece on moving water (See Stepping Stones,Moving Water). I used one layer, oil brush, and lots of knife. So we seem to have gone the same direction. If you look at my piece, you might see that I used more extensive (Longer) knife pulls to achieve that flowing look. Personally, I think you did a superior job here, with no reason to be hard on yourself.

Valerie
01-05-2010, 04:23 AM
Wow I think this is fantastic. Love the water.

Jasminek
01-05-2010, 04:50 AM
Hi,

When I was little (about 50 years ago), the art teacher tried to teach me how to paint rocks and rivers and that was the last time I tried. It is however, my dream to be able to accomplish the rocks and rivers one day. This painting shows incredible skill on brush strokes, fantastic results! Love the relaxing atmosphere too!

coops
01-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Wonderful painting, well done on the rocks, the water and of course your beautiful daughter. :)

Bumble
01-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Beautiful painting.....excellent work on the water:D:):)

justjean
01-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Lovely painting, subject, colour and strokes and I really like your water effect :)

byroncallas
01-05-2010, 07:31 AM
This is beautiful. Great work and seems skillful in the execution. Agree with some others - don't be hard on yourself - this is a fine piece of painting and you handled the tools marvelously. I giggled at your "way too much knife" self-admonition. If you could paint the entire painting with nothing but the knife, that would be fine - some painters both real-media and digital use almost no other tool - that's the way the like to work. They'd be up the creek without a paddle if they felt their work had "way too much knife." I love this painting whether knife, hammer & nails or kitchen blender. ;):D:D:):)

PaperTree
01-05-2010, 07:49 AM
This is brilliant! I hope to be as good one day. I really like that you put the other two photos in with your work, it helps people like me to see how to come to the end result. Lovely, simply lovely. Thanks for showing it.

Evart
01-05-2010, 08:18 AM
This is perfect. You did an excellent job on the image!

337_lee
01-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Thank you one and all for the kind words and encouragement. just a couple of responses to some of your comments...

byroncallas - so happy that I provided a giggle to your day :D

Jasminek - when I was in high school art class (a million years ago) my art teacher, a well know local artist, took me aside and suggested that I shouldn't pursue art. I never went to another art class. Never lost the interest though

coops - I'll pass along the "beautiful" daughter thing - perhaps I'll finally be forgiven for the small scar on the bridge of her nose that apparently is all my fault because I didn't strictly enforce the "no jumping on the bed" rule when she was two.

L Skylar Brown - thanks for the tip - I'll try that later - in the meantime, I probably have a hundred "experiments" started on the old computer I'm working on. I guess I have a short attention span.

Once again, thanks to everyone

coops
01-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Thats uncanny Lee, my daughter has a little scar on her forehead doing the same thing. My fault, my nails were too long.:)

DMerchen
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Great image, seems like you handled the water beautifully. Really looks great!!

RobertSWade
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Well there's certainly nothing wrong with the water treatment be it your first attempt or your 20th. Also, in my world, there's no such thing as too much knife. By and large, those are some killer rocks too. :)

Juz
01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
This is a wonderful painting... the water is very convincing, especially where the legs are submerged. Very well executed. :):)

337_lee
01-05-2010, 10:25 PM
thank you DMerchen and RobertSWade. I was reluctant to post this painting because I wasn't completely happy with the water. It's good to hear that there is some resemblance. I'm probably one of my worst (best???) critics though...

Juz - thanks, and I used only your weak and grey saturation colours. I have them loaded most of the time

screenpainter
01-05-2010, 10:45 PM
How wrong could one teacher/artist/snob/arse be. You are extremely talented. Sorry there are people out there that discourage. Glad you kept the interest... cause this is an amazing piece. It doesn't look easy, but well worth it. It is really exquisite. I like how you made your own palette and didn't stick to the ref too strictly because the colors in the composition are just delicious.
Your daughter is really beautiful. The painting is a great success.

Sketchism71
01-05-2010, 11:10 PM
It is amazing to me how just one negative comment by just one individual can be powerful enough to change the trajectory of someones life. Sorry that that happened to you! On the other hand, as I've noticed in my own kids, they tend to excel in areas they are encouraged to pursue or told they are good at. The power of suggestion is amazing!

Beautiful painting! Finely executed with an excellent pallete! It is a painting from the heart and it shows in every pixel! The water is crafted perfectly in the style of the painting! Well done in every way!:)

D Akey
01-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Sweet palette. I think it looks nice. You definitely got an engaging expression on her. She's with people with whom she wants to share the time. Lovely.

LogicsHere
01-06-2010, 01:49 AM
This is great and there's nothing wrong with the water either.

foxytocin
01-06-2010, 02:47 AM
I'm catching up on the forum after a few days off and this is the first I've opened today......what a beautiful painting! Have you showed it to your daughter?

337_lee
01-06-2010, 03:21 AM
So many replies, so little time... thanks everyone! I didn't really expect such a response from my little effort :)

No - I haven't had the opportunity yet to show my daughter. And it would no doubt bring up the perpetual "Where's the scar on my nose" discussion (as mentioned earlier in this thread)

The teacher who suggested I move away from art has gone on to bigger and better things. Since that was a long long time ago, I don't hold a grudge, and don't think I ever really did. I was a long haired wannabe hippy child of the 60's then, and just chalked it up as another "screw the establishment" thing.

Grudges make you lose hair and grow wrinkles. I need more of one, and less of the other... but maybe with the proper lighting, wrinkles could look like hair ;) hmmm