PDA

View Full Version : Archimedes

Gray
01-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I've been working on a comic (http://aberrantchronicles.com) recently with my brother (who keeps telling me he'll join the AR forums) and I've been working on some experimental fast art styles. This took just over 20 minutes to paint. If you have any ideas for making this type of thing faster, I'd love to hear them.

Evart
01-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Nice, very nice work Gray :D

byroncallas
01-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Excellent. I think 20 minutes is pretty fast Gray. You're pulling our legs, right. ;)

Great work.

Rob in Denver
01-03-2010, 03:13 AM
I like this, its fun, interesting and not fussed over, and sometimes all of that comes from setting an alarm for however many minutes and stopping when it goes off, interesting things can happen when you do that, and a by product is you will get faster from the practice.
But then again, whats the hurry?

Sketchism71
01-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Nice illustration and character design! Well done!

Juz
01-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Very cool Gray. Love the texture effect of the chalk over the paint. :)

When I took figure drawing many years ago they used to get us working fast by limiting a pose of a model to one minute before switching the pose. Its a great way to be confident about your line or gesture as you truely dont have the time to worry or perfect. You could try the same thing with a series of photos or characters... see what you can capture in 3mins, then 1 min then 30 secs. :)

L Skylar Brown
01-03-2010, 08:32 AM
I think if you just start with this basic style, and stay with it, it will get faster & easier. All the perameters are in plce, all you have to do is repeat, repeat, & repeat!

Valerie
01-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Gray this is a great illustration.

Alexandra
01-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I love the texture Gray, well done!:)

D Akey
01-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Sure. Do it more. Speed comes.

Also I would not shoot for speed before you have a look. Things that are designed to be done quickly work mostly when one is advanced enough to know where and how and still retain the essence.

You're story telling first and foremost, and so you have to look at the acting and the body language and poses. Otherwise you have to be SouthPark and zing it to the reader using sensation and outrage and rule breaking and all that. Or Peanuts falls into that category in a more normal way.

Had SouthPark's voice been weak it would not have flown probably. And early Matt Groening (the Simpsons) did some lame ass looking characters in a strip I think he did for free for years called Life in Hell that he published in some campy free press counterculture scene venues. And it really worked in that context. In fact it became part of that look like Ralph Steadman became the look for Hunter S. Thomspon and Pink Floyd for a while. So a weakly drawn style can suddenly become ground breaking genius if you start showing audience numbers.

Primitive is fine and you may find an audience using the same kind of Garage Band writ large like ACDC in which any old body can do it. That's another kettle of fish.

(Really general rule of thumb about speed and repetitive work) If you want to have speed, look to simplify your images. And create a formula for how you are going to quickly and roughly block it in and then add detail and clean it up.

Oh and of course, speaking of South Park, you may want to consider having a style composed of re-usable elements.

And then there's the cartoons where the visuals make it, like old Mad Magazine stuff like Mort Drucker, or Tex Avery or Ren And Stimpy exaggeration. Then you have to develop your skill. And like I said, you get way faster over time.

Good luck and have fun. :):):):):)

Eileen724
01-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Wonderful character, Gray and DA has some wise advise to take note (for all of us)!

Lima
01-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Gray nice figure:eek:. Nice place to learn.

foxytocin
01-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Wish you luck with the venture, Grey! I'd love to see more....

Gray
01-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Wow, this got a lot of comments. Thanks all for looking! I'll try to respond here...

@Rob in Denver: I've done some timed art, and it usually inspires random ideas, thoughts for shortcuts and such. I should do more of it than I do, but I like to take my time and do things carefully and correctly. I guess I could do both: have my cake and eat it too. =D

@Sketchism71: Thanks! I'm glad you are not bored of this dude yet, I keep drawing him for some reason. I just can't get tired of drawing wizards I guess.

@Juz: Thanks! I was trying to make that chalk over paint effect a little bit more subtle than it was, but I decided to not mess with the opacity and just leave it. Perhaps that's something I can deal with in future renditions.

@L Skylar Brown: I hate repetition, but everyone I know who is capable of the self control required to do it is a better person all around than I am, so there must be something to it. =D There are still a few puzzle pieces missing I think, but I'll get there some day.

@Valerie: Thanks! He's just a character I've been beating around in different paintings for a while.

@Alexandra: Thanks! I keep finding new ways of doing things in this program, it's just so much fun. This was a spur of the moment speed paint after I figured out that I could use chalk to texture things quick and dirty. (duh moments in my life...)

@D Akey: I love getting critiques from you, they are always so full of excellent thoughts and advice. I really appreciate the time you take to comment on these! That said, I'm going to write a quick summary of your points to see if I've got them all: Practice. Make sure I've got a solid style before I shoot for speed. Know my body physics and gestures, and how people interact physically. Know my audience, keep the art and story in tune with audience expectations or "acceptions". Keep it simple, stupid, (good blocking skills coupled with good detail addition formulas (to use your word)) Find re-usable elements. OR become a phreaking amazing comic artist. (this one is a little out of my league at the moment, I don't have the time or energy as a college student to really devote a ton of energy here. =D It's first and foremost a fun project with my brother.) The vast majority of this seems to be "Find something simple, settle in, and stay a while. Make sure that the story is the driving force, make the art help it, or at least not hinder it." Which really makes sense in the grand scheme of things. My brother is doing most of the writing, so I've got to keep my art together for him =D. Did I get all your points? Thanks again for taking the time to write such an elaborate response!

@Eleen724: Thanks! concerning DA: Where did he come from? I mean he's a top notch art critic, what's he doing on this lowly forum? He could be off in Paris reviewing stuff. I can certainly stand to learn a lot from the guy. =D

@orianelima: Thank you! I do hope to learn, I love comic styles, graphic art and such, I've never had a hand for it, which makes it a very good place to learn as you point out =D

@foxytocin: Thanks for your wishes! We're trying to post on Saturdays. My brother and I have the end worked out, so there is a vision here: there should be more. =D I've had a blast so far. My brother is this crazy idea machine. I'm not sure I know any one else who has more great random ideas than he does. About every other day since this has started he comes up with some new plot for a story and magic system and such. It's quite phenomenal.