PDA

View Full Version : A painting that might harm your good mood. Get in the mood...

Briex
12-31-2009, 12:28 PM
A rainy Tuesday 29 December afternoon downtown. You know those kind of days. Dark weather, thick clouds, sepia colored sky, depressed faces, rain and a temperature of 5˚ C. This is the road along the city hall at the Market in Maastricht (NL). Despite the weather I took pictures because I liked to catch the mirroring wet street and walkway but also the umbrellas. When I started this painting I told to myself to paint it very roughly, basic with large brush strokes. Now it has become again a detailed painting. I might re-paint this scenery another time.

Btw I added the same painting but now with added moisture/damp and a rainy sky. Those items were added with Photoshop. The purity of ArtRage is a bit spoiled by manupulating the painting with Photoshop... Is it done or not done?

JosepM
12-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Nice! very nice... :)

AT-TA
12-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Very good painting.

Valerie
12-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Briex this is wonderful.

Vivien
12-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Very atmospheric!
Here it is hot and windy so I am envious of the weather in this scene!
Love the colours you've chosen. I don't think it makes that much difference having been through the photoshop wash, mainly the brush detail in the sky but the overall effect remains.
I think you could do a little more work on the sky if you wanted to, where it meets the tops of the buildings lets down the rest of the image a bit.
I must add that I love your work so don't think I am criticising you in a bad way. I'm just answering your question about if it is done or not.

Pavig Lok
12-31-2009, 05:33 PM
I am very impressed with the way you're using this technique. At the risk of being critical, yes I think the photoshop work spoils it a touch. I feel you could have achieved a similar effect by hand, (perhaps painting out the sky as a stencil to allow more precision,) then stroking that out with dry and wet knife tools.

Very lovely work but I feel perhaps you would retain more grain and interest by finishing in artrage rather than photoshop (which I feel has a tendency to flatten things a touch).

Thanks for showing your work... you have inspired me to try something similar, though I am by no means as skilled as yourself. Oh well. :)

screenpainter
12-31-2009, 05:41 PM
It's a great painting Briex!

Sketchism71
12-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Awesome Painting Briex! Love this style!:D

pai
12-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Another great scene. To me both have different feel the way you did the sky. :)

Alexandra
01-01-2010, 04:22 AM
Wonderful style indeed!

byroncallas
01-01-2010, 05:05 AM
Very nice Briex. Both are nice, with quiet, different moods - a study of two possibilities. The first has that very clean feel you get after a rain that has left the air crisp and clear. The second is more chilly, with the humidity pulling the mist into the air. For the second just for fun I'd also play with a misty, slightly foggy sky just to see if it complimented a little of the foggy mist you've pulled in. Your works open up all kinds of ideas for experiment. It's one of the aspects of your paintings that appeal to me. :)

Evart
01-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I like this Briex. It captures a feel of realism.

Briex
01-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Happy New Year ArtRagers! Thanks for the valuable critics. Now I have painted a new version though much rougher, less detailed. I think this new try is better: it looks really like a sad, non-romantized rainy day and much more paintery. What do you think?

Comparison with my first and new version: