PDA

View Full Version : Cruising in Edward Hopper style

Briex
12-28-2009, 11:28 AM
A nowadays cruising image painted in Edward Hopper style. This means an empty, spacious, desolate, traquility composition soberly painted. I deleted the mainland landscape, the sailing boat for a quiet see with an endless horizon and sober sky. Enjoy it!

Btw I took this image last Summer in North West Greece on a ferry boat to the mainland.

D Akey
12-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Great painting. Hopper with only the slightest leanings toward some of the Hockneys I've seen around swimming pools and so on, or a little hint of Wayne Thiebaud. I think it's the bright light and saturation perhaps that makes it a little 60s and after. You seem slightly broader with your marks than Hopper as I assume his originals to be. I may never have actually seen an original Hopper, though I may have. And I recall that his colors were less dazzling and more mixed in the old school way. But no details come to mind. He could have changed over the years and this may be exactly like his.

But the cool thing for me is that it may be that you are now taking it beyond Hopper. Making it your own.

Very nice view of the coast of Greece.:):):):):)

Raybrite
12-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Very nice.:):):):):)

Briex
12-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Great painting. Hopper with only the slightest leanings toward some of the Hockneys I've seen around swimming pools and so on, or a little hint of Wayne Thiebaud. I think it's the bright light and saturation perhaps that makes it a little 60s and after. You seem slightly broader with your marks than Hopper as I assume his originals to be. I may never have actually seen an original Hopper, though I may have. And I recall that his colors were less dazzling and more mixed in the old school way. But no details come to mind. He could have changed over the years and this may be exactly like his.

But the cool thing for me is that it may be that you are now taking it beyond Hopper. Making it your own.

Very nice view of the coast of Greece.:):):):):)

Indeed Hopper's style was indeed a bit less rougher and man he put a lot of time and work in his paintings. Alas he never had the chance to work with ArtRage and a digi camera.

Valerie
12-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Terrific work

Lima
12-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Wow, wonderful. Great colors.

coops
12-29-2009, 03:46 AM
Great painting again Briex, ohhhhhhhhh its lovely to see something warm again:)

Judith Tramayne
12-29-2009, 06:24 AM
This is lovely and I do like your style in this one. The simplicity is breathtaking and the lighting is soooooooooooooo good!

Judith

Briex
12-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks all for the comments. I use my digi camera as a foreplay for my paintwork. In fact making pictures is already 'painting'. I always look for the right composition, colours, exceptional scenes and settings. The only disadvantage of photographing is that it is often too plain and often disturbing items (especially in open air sceneries) spoil the picture. Painting has a lot more freedom and that's why I only kept the sea, the boat and the girl in this image, the sky was a self added addition: straight, tight.

Eileen724
12-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Oh, how I love your work, Briex....it's like a breath of fresh air! Your technique and composition is simply wonderful. I rely on my niece to take pictures for me since I lack any talent in that arena. She is an aspiring amateur photographer and I am just in awe of her talented eye to capturing beautiful and meaningful pictures.

pai
12-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Very beautiful painting. Love that blue and white contrast. I think you have your own style from what I see all your great paintings. :)