PDA

View Full Version : The Story of the Old Man and the Yellow Bird

Rob in Denver
12-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Stir in a sleepless night, some Artrage3 ( Filler tool is wonderful-all the colors were applied that way), add some Picasso, some Fauvist colors, an African folk tale ( which you will have to make up for yourself) and a big dash of whimsical and this is what came out of the Artrage oven. I had fun, hope you do!

Khalid_ipda
12-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Beautiful illustration, Rob. Suitable design for a cover of the story book

byroncallas
12-28-2009, 04:34 AM
Yo Rob - fantastic. Super use of the fill tool - great exercise - and great story pouring out of the energetic visual. I like how you slightly muted the colors and tied them together well for an over all well balanced color scheme while expressing such a wild color array. Good eyeballing throughout to bring this together so well. A cool piece - I really like it a lot. :)

Rob in Denver
12-28-2009, 04:41 AM
Thanks Byron and Khalid, just having fun is a good thing. I may have to get my wife to write a story to go with it. Then I would have to produce more drawings in a similar way--could be fun, but I have trouble keeping the same thing going for very long!

byroncallas
12-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Thanks Byron and Khalid, just having fun is a good thing. I may have to get my wife to write a story to go with it. Then I would have to produce more drawings in a similar way--could be fun, but I have trouble keeping the same thing going for very long!

I'd say go for it. Just this one picture brings up a plethora of questions and story lines. Challenging, but could be great fun to see through. :)

BTW, I failed to mention the great work in the face, and how much expression you got out of both the man and bird. They seem utterly connected and in communication. A real and important exchange is taking place. :cool::)

billbonds
12-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Really good. Do the book. :)

ScottF
12-28-2009, 07:48 AM
You need some more sleepless nights, Rob! :) Love the colors and the wonderful graphic/illustrative quality to this one!

saddy
12-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Lovely coloring! Great work! :)

foxytocin
12-28-2009, 07:55 AM
I especially love the expression on the man's face....
hmmmm....wonder what the bird is telling him? It really does beg for a storyline...

Rob in Denver
12-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Thank you all! I am thinking--who is this that came out of my pen last night? And I am listening for what they might have to say, slowly like the bird talking into the ear of the old man, a story is coming from them. Maybe there will be a bit more of this story to tell, we will see.

Briex
12-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Wonderfull Rob. Very strong artwork. This is art!

Lima
12-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Thank you all! I am thinking--who is this that came out of my pen last night? And I am listening for what they have to say, slowly like the bird talking into the ear of the old man, a story is coming from them. Maybe there will be a bit more of this. Seems there is a story to tell and draw.

Rob splendid painting. Vibrant colors, a fine graphic composition that certainly contains a story. I hope you continue to tell this story with all its different chapters. Surely you have a fantastic way forward.:):):)

Juz
12-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Fabulous, love the style :)

RobertSWade
12-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Fascinating imagery, Rob, full of the potential of a myth for the making. It strikes me that it also resonates well with Native American and Australian themes. :)

Ann Timmy
12-28-2009, 03:22 PM
So very well done - real art. :)

screenpainter
12-28-2009, 05:34 PM
now that is tribal. great job Rob. Very artistic.

D Akey
12-28-2009, 08:58 PM
. . . and then Arthur Canary befriended Kizzie Latitude who gave a parakeet to Davis Nichols who begat Mariah Starboard friend of Dominico the Cardinal who, Mariah that is, begat Long John Silver who signed on a Parrot named Cap'n Flint.

So that's just the last 14 generations. Before that, there was a break in continuity before which little is known, and we believe something terrible had happened, something on a global scale.

Nice image, Mr. Denver. :):):):):)

Alexandra
12-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Rob, this is wonderful, I agree with everyone else-go for the book!:)

ShockHorror
12-28-2009, 11:48 PM
This is so cool!

I love the face loads, it's real pretty, like a mask we saw at a museum once.

Sketchism71
12-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Great painting Rob! It definitely leaves me with a feeling of wanting to see and know more about this interesting image.

Your images are so very different from one another but very uniquely the same. You have signature art with a style that is very much you. Some artists go their whole lives without finding that. This is cool now give us more!:)

Rob in Denver
12-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks all, kind words indeed. I am working on finishing the story now!

pai
12-29-2009, 05:52 PM
It gives me those Native's art feel from this one. Looks like it's just a beginning of the story. Very nice one. :)

sandyg
12-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Definitely a native feel to it Rob and brilliantly coloured.
Sandyg.

shirly
12-30-2009, 11:55 PM
amazing job ... illustrative. :)