PDA

View Full Version : Paint a simple lighting experiment

Fashmir
10-16-2006, 06:06 PM
The idea is to get our collective minds thinking about how light works so we can better mimic it's effects in our images. Here's a quick example of what I'm talking about. I didn't concern myself with too much "correctness" I just wanted to get down the essence of what light might do. My plan is to use a similar stage to try different objects and types of surfaces within the same light scheme.

maror
10-16-2006, 07:26 PM
:D great fashmir...one of the best ways to learn how it works!

in this chase i have a correction for your picture (i believe i'm right :P )
- the light source is a hard spot from the left, but the shadow lays in the wrong direction! also the higlights are not in the same angle...

anything else is good :wink:

ps: i will post a 3d example of this scene this evening...

edit: so i added the 3d scene of fasmirs painting to compare...
i'm right with the shadow but absolutely wrong with the highlight... :oops:
i must congratulate you...your are very close!

edit2: i should ready more exacly...hmm you didn't want it correct...

greez

Fashmir
10-17-2006, 03:54 PM
maror- Cool! Nice to see what you did in 3D. At one point I had a lamp actually painted on a layer which looked more like it was pointing into the scene and matched the shadow orientation. When I threw that away I didn't change the shadow, a complete oversight.

Here's an update after seeing your 3D this afternoon. In the first and second images I painted from memory and imagination with no reference. Not a virtue, just the way it happened. :wink:

Selby
10-18-2006, 12:29 PM
wow good idea Fashmir-will have to have a go at this myself.

Selby

heikki
11-09-2006, 02:06 AM
:)

Hei David. Nice idea and i take part this thread adding my pixpaint.

I have glass-ball and also glass-cube where this ball stand. I put those things to my table and start to paint what i see. I dont paint that cube under the ball. This is ,,,,must say,,,,good training self-education cource of how paint ball. It is difficult to paint glass-ball so that it looks like it is. But i'm quite satisfaction result of my many hours work. :D

:)